_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Banners
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 08:09 AM UTC
I noticed a few people have started putting their ribbons in their banners, and I would also like to start doing this. The problem is that the only photo editing program I have capable of turning them into one photo, will only save in .SPP format. I use Photo Plus 6.0.
How might I go about converting them into a commonly used format, such as .JPEG, .JPG, or .GIF?

I think I can figure out the uploading part myself, Im just stuck here.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:53 AM UTC
The file extension FPP sounds like the proprietary extension. Am surprised that software dont allow you to either export or save as a .jpg file.

As for me i use Paint Shop Pro which was formerly by JASC but now bought over by Corel.

Paint Shop Pro X

You could either use that or if the browser is able to open the file, they too can convert files to jpg by doing a Save As.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:13 PM UTC
I used the "paint" programme .. a free accessory already installed on my computer. Saved this then as a .jpeg. This might be an earlier (simpler) version of the paint-shop pro that Jazza mentions.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I noticed a few people have started putting their ribbons in their banners, and I would also like to start doing this. The problem is that the only photo editing program I have capable of turning them into one photo, will only save in .SPP format. I use Photo Plus 6.0.
How might I go about converting them into a commonly used format, such as .JPEG, .JPG, or .GIF?

I think I can figure out the uploading part myself, Im just stuck here.

Hi Kevin,

Apparently if you want to save a spp in a standard recognised format you need to export it as such... check out this PhotoPlus manual: http://www.serif.com/community/pdfs/PhotoPlus6.pdf (+- 3.5Mb PDF file) check out +- page 27 Saving and Exporting Files.

HTH

Rudi
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use Photo Plus 6.0. How might I go about converting them into a commonly used format, such as .JPEG, .JPG, or .GIF?

Photo Plus will only "save" in .spp format, but you can "export" images into virtually any format you like. Under the "FILE" tab look for the "Export" or "Export Optimiser" tabs and click one of them. It will allow you to not only save as a lot of other typse of images, but for JPEGs you can set the compression level to achieve a smaller image file size.

One thing to realise about the banner software here is that it will take any image that is not the correct number of pixles wide x tall and stretch or compress them to fit. That's why you sometimes see seriously misshapen images for some of these banners. I can't remember the exact proportions though, but it's not too hard to figure out.

To resize an image go to "Image" and then "image size". You can force the length and width to be exactly whatever sizes you need.

HTH

Paul
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC
HI,

Quoted Text

[... I can't remember the exact proportions though, but it's not too hard to figure out. ...

Banners should have 468 x 60 pixels.

HTH
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 02:53 AM UTC
Paul,
Speaking of which you realize your banner isn't visable correct? Just the "X" image. You may actually be able to see it if you are logged in with geocities and your system allows you to download the image. But for the majority of us it's a no-show.

Regards,
Jim
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 05:23 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone who posted in. Im used to Adobe Photoshop, and even that I havent used in a couple of years. But at least now I know what the export feature does. Thanks again for all your help, each post helped.

Edit: And now you can see that it helped, cheers all.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
Speaking of which you realize your banner isn't visable correct?

No, I hadn't. What hapend to that, I wonder? It was there yesterday/Thursday! Merde, it's always something!

Thanks for the heads up.

Paul
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 08:56 AM UTC
Its showing up now Paul, looks good.
 _GOTOTOP