_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
ACUTR - Matt's engineering vehicle
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 08:07 AM UTC
Update....... Still bouncing on weather I want a Crane or "Digger"

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 09:01 AM UTC
go for the crane.
it's lookin like a pretty good kitmash so-far.

edit: is it going to be on tracks or the wheels in the pictures?
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 04:54 PM UTC
Yep it Started live as a Tamiya M1 w/ the plow........ all that's been used is some of the Upper hull and the lower hull / running gear.........
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 05:48 PM UTC
why do i get the feeling that somewhere there is an OSHA WARNING SIGN not where is used to be.

" look, he crane...the crane, boss."

game on Matt
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 07:36 PM UTC
Oh you mean the thin Plastic Wallet sized Digsafe reference cards?????

Hey, Free plastic baby!!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 06:00 AM UTC
Howdy Matt,

I'm liking what you're doin' so far there mate, and I can even recognize at least some of the old M1 parts you're not using. The question that I hear scratchin' is; who is going to be standing in your elevated review platform?.....our Mr. Starkweather?............?

Just kiddin' ya Matt

Tread.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 07:33 AM UTC
the "platform" is a removeable basket meant to be filled with mission specific Items Still thinking.... it never ends...LOL
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 07:51 AM UTC

....pard', you're always "thinking"....that's what I like about ya!

Tread
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 07:41 AM UTC

HiYa Mattman!

Excellent build up so far! Looking good! And I totally recognize that sheetstock you're using! I will take forever to use all that I have of it! :-)

I'll keep an eye out on this one!

Cuhail
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 05:06 PM UTC
OK... hopefully pics tonight ...(as long as the weather stays Crappy.... So I won;t have to drive 20 mi to do some Electrical work for a buddy tonight, as I really need to replace a Lower ball joint, Tires and get an Allignment) No need to put my Life in danger for a couple of Light fixtures...... I did make some progress yesterday......
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 06:07 PM UTC
Howdy matt,

"......electrical work for a buddy tonight......"

Man, I thought you were involved in some form of CAD drafting or something...doin' electrical work? You're just a 'renaissance' man huh? Must have something to do with your multi-tasking abilities I suppose.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your posted pics. Not only am I enjoying your build, but I must confess something for the record.
Ya know my ACUTR build entry over on ModelGeek? {which I need to move over to MSW} The one where I'm using absolutely ZERO modeling ingredients? Well, your use of the Warning card in your build was the final spark of the idea I was putting together. So thx for that, and get those pics posted.

Tread.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 07:21 PM UTC
Well....... DIY'er......that led to Working PT at the local "Orange Box" While holding a FT+ job doing Drafting / Design work for a Major Turbo Machinery Company........ I've been in the Electrical Dept for Over a Year... Just having been moved to Plumbing (where I knew more than Elect. in the first place) Yeah the buddy doesn't like electrical work.... let alone working on Live Circuts......... (I'll do 110v / 15a but that's where I draw the lne for LIVE) Woodworking is my Second Hobby also having been know to Tackle Auto projects as well..(like needing to replace a Ball joint & Shocks this coming weekend).............. Yep Pretty Well Rounded....

I Guess you could say it helps you to "Think outside the Box..... Eventhough I'm stuck working in one all day"

One way or Another I'll get Pics up tonight

Quoted Text

Ya know my ACUTR build entry over on ModelGeek? {which I need to move over to MSW} The one where I'm using absolutely ZERO modeling ingredients? Well, your use of the Warning card in your build was the final spark of the idea I was putting together.

Yep following that one..... Makes me wanna go get a Sheet of MDF and see how it'd work for Masters...... might be a bit Fuzzy..... i do have some Renshape left.......
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 09:46 PM UTC

Believe me, I can completely identify with the big "orange box"...I stop by the 'box' just about every, single day. Especially now since I'm back to the real ' hands on' part of the job. I also do electrical work while the system is 'hot', making most people {as you probably already know} cringe and call me crazy. You just need to remember to keep any shocks limited to only one hand....right? Because if you get shocked in both hands at the same time, it goes thru your body, and then you've got a 'problem'
Besides, the electrical shock at 110AC is barely enough to wake you up when you're feelin' a little tired towards the end of the job. ;-)

About the MDF. Not only am I quite familiar with it as a building material, but in my mind it is the cheap man's Renshape.
From using dense MDF {there are two different densities} for all sorts of fine furniture building {when the final product is painted} I have managed to become pretty adept at forming and shaping this material into quite fine edged shapes. And the caution you spoke of, of being concerned about...how did you say it?......" might be a bit Fuzzy..... " Well, just like in fine furniture building, it's all in the way you sand down your final surface. In this regard, you can get your surface done to glass-like smoothness........

{OK, enough yakkin' }

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP