_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Advanced Modeler's Syndrome (AMS)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 09:19 PM UTC
A recent thread brought this point to my mind. Remember when we all used to just build kits out of box? Maybe as we progressed, we painted the faces flesh and the headlights silver, machine guns got a coat of black (either flat or gloss). We then graduated to the "big leagues" when we painted the entire tank with a spray can of OD green and also did the above detail painting. Of course, then comes drilling out barrels, replacing molded lifting eyes with pieces of bent sprue, etc. Of course once you grab a reference book (or have the actual vehicle to climb on) then all is lost

I guess my point is to just start out and build a kit to the best of your abilities. Don't worry about if it is the most accurate, turret wrong shape, markings not correct for that vehicle or roadwheels should be given scratchbuilt detail on the backside. Build to have fun. We are quick to pan a kit because we think or someone told us that it is incorrect (even if true). I say, just build it and use it as a stepping stone in improving your talents. A true diehard modeler will probably continue to build until he is physically unable and up until this point, most of his/her kits will improve as they go along.

Bottom line is build the kits, be happy there are more than just "one" of that type of kit to chose from (of many kits at least) and hope it fits well.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bottom line is build the kits, be happy there are more than just "one" of that type of kit to chose from (of many kits at least) and hope it fits well.

Rob, spoken like a true champion of what building models is all about!!! I couln't add nor wouldn't take anything from what you said!

A true Cheers is in order!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hola,

I can still remember that "step", the step that brought me to superdetails and Photo Etch and a ton more cussing lol, I remember the feeling, like wow, I did it, I made it like the big boys do :-)

At a show in Sweden (C4-OPEN) they have a class for tanks that is called out of the box, were you are only allowed to use stuff from the box! Makes it interesting.
My 2¢
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 09:59 PM UTC
Well said Rob! I wonder how long ago that 'step' was for Gunnie? :-)

Tread.
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC
Sigh, I heartily agree with the previous statements. I am at a point where I have gotten back into the hobby after a 15 year hiatus (i was your average builder who added some extra details).

Now I find I am overwhelmed by the amount of secondary sources of information and parts etc. etc. Because of this I have 10 to 15 kits sitting waiting to be built as I do more reasearch and check out kit accuracy.

Darn it, I am gonna close my eyes and pick one and start this weekend. Accuracy and research be damned..unless I can find that turned brass gun by Sunday...Sigh.

MSW :/
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
Well said, indeed Rob!
Just to add, I have a lot of that Tamiya stuff, old molds (some are just toys, compared to nowadays standards), I have inclusive a Tiger I early model (and early molds also) and I´ll start to build it together with an Italeri Pz IV, the point is, any model you can build (using your skills) and have a nicely model and you can even win a contest (if they´re judging your modelling skills, not if you manage to correct all faults that models were told to have).
The most important is: Never give up a model just because the people says it isn´t the more detailed or correct model in the world, in théir time they were top of the line, remember it!
Just my two cents!
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC
I couldn't agree more, Rob. I've recently returned to the hobby, and while I am learning with each kit I build, there is only one person I am trying to please, and that is me. I build out of the box, and try to use all the tips and tricks I pick up from FSM or RSM to make it look more realistic, but I'm not interested in contests or shows. I'm interested in having fun, appreciating the kit for its historic significance, and enjoying the process of creating something nice out of a bunch of plastic. If the kit's not 100% accurate, I can live with it. Besides, scratchbuilding parts or using photo-etch detailing is way beyond my skills at the moment, not to mention my interest. I can enjoy looking at the work of people who do all the extra stuff. They are real artists, in every sense of the word. But it is not for me. Thankfully, we have a hobby that allows participants to get as involved as they like. But enjoyment and relaxation is the goal for us all, I hope.

Mike

pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:49 PM UTC
This is a hobby, and as such is supposed to be a stress reliever. So don't worry about the photoetch and after market. Build OOB.
Be relaxed....Serenity Now! ...... (for "Seinfeld" fans) LOL
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a hobby, and as such is supposed to be a stress reliever. So don't worry about the photoetch and after market. Build OOB.
Be relaxed....Serenity Now! ...... (for "Seinfeld" fans) LOL

Serenity Now!!! ROTFL...

Quite true guys... Making "accurate" models sometimes can become really frustrating.. Especially after finding out a number of "inaccuracies" after the job is done... Pehaps a interesting feature of the Armorama could be a psyhic counseling for the "stressed out" modelers... :-) I know I could use it sometimes..

Serenity Now!

Mario M.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well said Rob! I wonder how long ago that 'step' was for Gunnie? :-)

Tread.

Now see what you did! I was gonna stay outta this one and let Sabot's fine sentiments stay out there as the mantra we should all remember in model building.

That AMS period for me was a really long time ago - over a decade. I think I have grown as a modeler - and those who don't burn themselves out chasing that last shadow of superdetail on a model project will grow too. You come full-circle again if you keep the right perspective.

The efforts and strides I make on a model aren't to impress anyone, aren't to goad myself on to further, faster, farther, and aren't to win Best of Show at every contest put on by Mankind. The efforts & things I choose to do to a model are done because they're FUN for me - and isn't that where we all started?

Nothing I do is stressful, taxing, frustrating, nor have I ever slammed a kit against the wall because it wasn't working out right. I am guilty of treating all of them like babies, and however long it takes, I'll finish them. That might be a hair short of obsession, but it never causes me a stressful episode.

The toughest thing I had to learn that enabled me to overcome AMS is to learn to build out-of-the-box again. I can do it, but it is really hard. My problem is that I love model building so much - it's easy to slip into AMS. I pass on more contests than I ever would have 10 years ago - the ratio is something like 10:1 right now. I'm proud of that too. And, most importantly, I've reached a stage where it is more fun to participate in a forum like this - than to seek out personal gratification at a model contest.

Now THAT'S when you know you've come full-circle and kicked AMS.

Thoughts from Gunnie's side of things...
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
Very inspiring speech, Rob! I already have so many kits, it would probably last me the rest of my life. Recently I was overcome by the fact that the stack never seems to be getting smaller, but is only growing larger. This is probably because I keep putting kits back on the shelf, because "I will need to correct this and that, and will need PE and a new barrel and....." etc etc etc. You just put me with my feet back on the ground :-)
I will start building!!!!!!!!!!!

PS This will be forgotten by next week of course
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

most importantly, I've reached a stage where it is more fun to participate in a forum like this - than to seek out personal gratification at a model contest.

Now THAT'S when you know you've come full-circle and kicked AMS.

Thoughts from Gunnie's side of things...

Ahhh haaa! You see Gunnie, it's your bottom line too that matters most.
Glad to have you here with us! :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess my point is to just start out and build a kit to the best of your abilities. Don't worry about if it is the most accurate, turret wrong shape, markings not correct for that vehicle or roadwheels should be given scratchbuilt detail on the backside. Build to have fun. We are quick to pan a kit because we think or someone told us that it is incorrect (even if true). I say, just build it and use it as a stepping stone in improving your talents. A true diehard modeler will probably continue to build until he is physically unable and up until this point, most of his/her kits will improve as they go along.

Well said, Rob! That's one thing I need to remeber myself... I can easily hold up my M60A2 to Gunnie's and say, 'It stinks!'. But to hold up my relatively newbie kits to some of the best that are out there.... I just need to remember that these skills take time to develop. Weatherings won't look exactly right the first few times; the decals on your first kit will be a little too opaque, but thats the point of having a hobby; Doing something you enjoy, improving as much as you can, and sharing experiences with others along the way. I thank everyone here for being helpful, knowledgeable and most of all, cheery (or something similar) and willing to help each other. That's exactly what makes this site the best I've ever seen!

YodaMan
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 09:42 PM UTC
Just think Yoda, in 20 yrs you can search for the kit again, get the AEF Designs turret, Verlinden or Eduard PE and you will make it again. It'll take you back in time to now when your first built that M60A2. BTW, I first built that kit about 20 yrs ago and have acquired another to build and see how much I've progressed in those years.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
Sabot - well spoken.
The #1 rule is to have fun. Also alongs your finished model
is to yourself satisfactory, that's what counts !
However, I myself am caught up in making a model as accurate
as I can. The other thing is even when I try to build out of the box, the
fever for aftermarket accessories just won't let go of me.
I do have plans to build some kits straight from the box though.
like i said it's what please's your own self that count's.
- ralph
[Francois Verlinden warns us about AMS
in his " The System, Vol.1 " book
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, I first built that kit about 20 yrs ago and have acquired another to build and see how much I've progressed in those years.

Be sure to post some pics when you do!

YodaMan
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
I have to confess to a bad case of AMS, myself. I just have to try to improve on whatever comes in the box. It is even worse when I have personal experience with the real thing. I have tried several times to build one "out-of-the-box" but just can't resist breaking out the old files and plastic to fix this or that little thing.

I am trying something different now. I am buying high-quality kits and whatever PE might be out there, and trying to limit myself to just what the PE requires. Not always as successful as I could be, but better. (This doesn't mean I've given up scratching, just trying to cut down...)

On the good side, AMS has given me a chance to try a lot of new techniques that I might not otherwise have tried. Trying to find the good side...
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC
As I'm mainly a scratchbuilder, I'm not all that keen on building out-of-the-box kits.
But I agree that fun has to be the number one reason to model, no matter how you do it, and what your targets are.
Have fun !
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 07:03 AM UTC
Well we all seem to suffer, or have suffered, (or will suffer) from this dreaded pseudo-illness. It is certainly a tough compromise, however I feel there are two significant factors invloved. Don't worry, I won't be long in developping this theme- It seems that peer group pressure plays an important role, this can also be exerted via the publications we read. Thus when something is touted as great, it becomes "THE STANDARD". Subconsciously we strive to maintain, live up to and often times attempt to surpass these standards (it's in our nature). Don't forget there is also an effort on the part of the manufacturers to create and maintain this desire to push the limite ever further. Competitions are a breeding ground for AMS (maybe they should quarantine??) Finally, as modellers there is an inherent desire for perfection. We are all a little bit perfectionists. It is unlikely we shall ever be satisfied. What fun would there be without the challenge of the unknown?? A good but difficult balance would be a little of both worlds. A side by side build is something I've recently taken on. in such a case I super detail one model, while simoultaneously building the other with the minimum of corrections possible (no two left feet here!) I think that we have a love/hate relationship with what we do, with the research it involves, and the pleasure that we derive from our hobby. Did I say I was going to be brief. I guess I've expounded enough You get the picture.......Love or hate it we are all in the game to stay.

Enjoy yours

Cheers

Jack
 _GOTOTOP