_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Shops & Stops on the road
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 06:47 AM UTC
I want to start out that I am not sure if this is the correct area to post this, but here it goes...

I am a truck driver and a model builder, so I get to travel around the US and Canada quite a bit. I made an amazing discovery last month when I was in Buffalo, NY. While parked at the only truck stop in town (Jim's) I noted an old train caboose in my side mirror... I got an took a closer look, and there before me was a hobby shop!

As it turned out, it was a BIG hobby shop with pretty good prices. Niagara Hobby

Have any other truckers run across a hobby shop in proximity to a truck stop?

PS. I also found a military museum with truck parking in Nebraska (of all places). the Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles was a very nice place. I liked it better than the Patton Museum, because it was better lit and there were more vehicles located outside in day light. He has plans to double his floor space, and ALL his vehicles are in running condition. If you ever find yourself on Interstate 80 in Nebraska, I highly recoment the stop.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 07:55 PM UTC
Not a Truck Driver, But i usually Look in the Phone book when I go on a Trip just to check out the Local places. I'll agree on Niagara Hobby!!! There's a few more Just Up Union road (heading opposiet from Niagara.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to start out that I am not sure if this is the correct area to post this, but here it goes...

I am a truck driver and a model builder, so I get to travel around the US and Canada quite a bit. I made an amazing discovery last month when I was in Buffalo, NY. While parked at the only truck stop in town (Jim's) I noted an old train caboose in my side mirror... I got an took a closer look, and there before me was a hobby shop!

As it turned out, it was a BIG hobby shop with pretty good prices. Niagara Hobby

Have any other truckers run across a hobby shop in proximity to a truck stop?

PS. I also found a military museum with truck parking in Nebraska (of all places). the Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles was a very nice place. I liked it better than the Patton Museum, because it was better lit and there were more vehicles located outside in day light. He has plans to double his floor space, and ALL his vehicles are in running condition. If you ever find yourself on Interstate 80 in Nebraska, I highly recoment the stop.

Mark

I have been to both places How long have you been driving? I've been a trucker almost 11 years now
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:27 AM UTC
Chad,

I am still in trucker infancy - 2 years, 5 months.

I stared out at Covenant, went to a small, local guy, who went out of business, and am now "flat bedding" for a small, local guy here in Michigan.

Do you do much building on the road? I was rather skeptical, but was able to do parts clean-up alright in a rattling sleeper.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chad,

I am still in trucker infancy - 2 years, 5 months.

I stared out at Covenant, went to a small, local guy, who went out of business, and am now "flat bedding" for a small, local guy here in Michigan.

Do you do much building on the road? I was rather skeptical, but was able to do parts clean-up alright in a rattling sleeper.

I do the majority of building while on the road Airbrushing is either at home or in a motel if the weather is too bad I drive a Volvo 780 The bottom bunk converts to a table/chair This cab doesn't rattle too much
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do the majority of building while on the road Airbrushing is either at home or in a motel if the weather is too bad I drive a Volvo 780 The bottom bunk converts to a table/chair This cab doesn't rattle too much

I long for the days of my Volvo... They are bar none, the most driver friendly and logically designed truck I have driven. Sounds like your an owner/operator (or "Privateers" as I like to call 'em) with a table and chair layout.... I have only seen those in the dealer brochure LOL.

I am driving a Kenworth T600 currently. It has a fold out table in TV cubby. Thats deluxe for me. It's the newest truck I have driven (2004 model year) so it's not too bad a ride.

Safe trip
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 07:06 PM UTC
Can anyone tell me about Norther KY Hobbies in Florence, Kentucky? I am unexpectedly stuck here at the truck stop for the Easter weekend, and am looking for places of interest.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone tell me about Norther KY Hobbies in Florence, Kentucky? I am unexpectedly stuck here at the truck stop for the Easter weekend, and am looking for places of interest.

Never been to that one How close is it to the truck stop(s)?
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 06:21 AM UTC
According to MS Streets ans Trips, it's a mile even from the TA in Florence (exit 181). It felt like 100 on Easter weekend with 21mph wind and 30dF temps...

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=15336468

It looked like an all RC shop, but they were closed when I got there, so I can't be sure. See URL above for address.
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 06:43 AM UTC
OK, last week I spent 7 days in El Paso, TX waiting for a trailer to come back from Mexico. After the third day, I was climbing the walls of my sleeper, so I went online in search of a hobby shop.

I found Hal's Hobby Warehouse in El Paso (http://www.halshobbywarehouse.com/) Hal's prices are high, but if you need the essentials, he has it.

Hal's is located in an industrial park area of El Paso, so big trucks are a common sight on his street. You can't park in his lot, but there is plenty of parking on the streets.
 _GOTOTOP