Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
My sexy new neighbor-She's built like a tank.
tabascojunki
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:59 PM UTC
This is my new neighbor, an M41 Walker Bulldog.

Apparently the Garland VFW post is relocating from their place at Miller Road and Centerville to about a block from my house at the corner of Meridian and Castle Drive at an old daycare place that's been out of business for a year or so and has been being remodeled for a while.This tank has been sitting in front of their post for about 40 years according to the news. I've lived about 5 minutes from it for the last 5 years and just found out about it about 6 months ago from JimF here at Armorama. (Thanks Jim!!) I finally stopped to see it a month or so ago.

Well, last night I had to work late and didn't get home til about 9 o'clock. Maybe a half an hour later I'm watching the news and see a story about the VFW moving and taking their tank with them, showed them loading it up on a truck with a crane and everything. I thought "Oh man, I won't get to see that tank all the time now. Wait a minute, they said Castle and Meridian. There's a Meridian right across the street."

I live on another street that comes off of Castle.

My wife was on the way home from her sister's house so I called her to drive by and see if it was there, and sure enough, it was. And I had just driven right in front it about an hour earlier, and even though it was dark I don't how the hell I missed a tank sitting there. I stopped and took a few pics on the way to work this morning, and thought I'd share. Pretty cool to have a piece of U.S. military history about a 2 or 3 minute walk from my front door. I'll have to change my route to walk my dog so I can get a better look more often.

And for anyone that's in the area and wants to come see, it's off of Castle between Centerville and Country Club.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 03:02 PM UTC
When i read your subject, all i could picture was a big boned person who lives next door to you. :-)

She certainly is big boned alright! You lucky thing!

You should take some detailed walk around shots. It would be perfect as reference photos!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 09:03 PM UTC
Got to love some of those VFW "gate guards." Here we have a couple of them that have big howitzers in front, that look like something from WWI. I wonder how many accidents this beauty will cause from people swerving to get a better look.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 04:44 PM UTC
Are they going to leave the turret turned that way? It is cool, looks like you could drive it to work...

Shaun