TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Letters from Iwo Jima
modelbuilder82
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC
So has anbody gone to see this movie yet? I saw it with my girlfriend on the 19th. I must say it was far better then "Flags of our fathers". It was interesting to see a movie from the Japenese point of view. There were several parts that were very moving. I won't give those away here. But if you see the movie I think you will understand what I mean. Tell me what you all thought of the movie. And the whole idea of a movie based from the perspective of the "bad" guys.

Cheers
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC
I plan on watching it tomorrow with one of my captains. We cleared the calendar and are going to skip out a little early to catch a matinee.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 06:59 AM UTC
... and it got an Oscar nod to boot.

Both flicks sound good to me, but I'll probably wait for the DVD. I absolutely HATE going to a movie theater because of all the twits ... though Rob's matinee idea sounds good ... maybe on a weekday.
modelbuilder82
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 05:13 PM UTC
Actually I went to see it at 7:30 at night and most of the people there were either older or what seemed to be history buffs. So it was nice and quite.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:43 PM UTC
As much as I wanted to see both of these Clint movies they don't seem to have come out in any of the major theaters in my area
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Just saw it, it is many times better than Flags of Our Fathers. A very good movie, well done and thoughtful.
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:44 AM UTC
I just saw it last night, and I really liked the super de-saturation of the colors
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 05:57 AM UTC
I'll have to check and see what's up in the DFW area. haven't seen ANY advertising for it. Tons and tons for "The 300". I had been so looking forward to that one. But, lately in the commercials I've noticed a few disconcerting things like war elephants and driving people off a cliff. Of course they are also showing the "Brad Pitt" super-duper flip around stab you in the back sword trick again :-)
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 07:28 AM UTC
I watched it on DVD last night and it was OK I guess. I have a hard time coming up with a lot of sympathy for the Japs when I remember what THEY did to our guys who surrendered. I'm thinking of the Bataan Death March and the way captured Marines were found mutilated. Not real great guys in my opinion.................
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:06 AM UTC
I saw it when it came out on DVD and was rather disappointed in it as well. Acting wise it was great, the direction was solid and the story compelling but historically whitewashed in my opinion. They have no problems making movies to show atrocities carried out by the Nazi's yet they don't like showing much of the Japanese atrocities, it's not in line with how Japan is now learning of themselves in WWII.