Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Weather!
marathon
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 10:58 PM UTC
Weather-related issues hyave closed my office today - only 4 of us showed up between 2 different departments. Since I'm here, I decided to catch up on work that piled up over the 3-day holiday weekend.

At least it's nice and quiet in here.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:40 PM UTC
Looks like you're getting a taste of what we've been getting since before Christmas. This has been the craziest winter of the of the 10 winters I've seen up here so far. We got hit with a blizzard that closed down the town just before Halloween. Then another hit just before Christmas. Since that one we've had snow every weekend, and 5-day forecasts, also known as "your guess is as good as mine" are saying possible snow again this weekend. The local paper had a headline Sunday, "What's the Eskimo word for ENOUGH!" It's making it a bit tough to try out my "new" Iwata airbrush. Still, I KNOW, that sometime this August my wife is going to complain about the hot weather and being ready for fall again. :-)
gregax
Visit this Community
Slovenia
entire network: 124 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:50 PM UTC
I wish we had some snowfall here. In Slovenia (next country to Austria), the temperatures are around + 10-15 deg. C, as opposed to -5 -10 deg C as we had in winters before (normal temps). No snow (we had a lot last year, a really white winter) but this year no skiing, but good for mountainbiking and BBQ on the porch... and not so good for modelling.

There are some migrating birds who stayed at home this year and didn't bother to fly to Africa.... where will that all end?
marathon
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:07 AM UTC
I've spent 3 years in Ohio and 6-7 in the Pacific Northwest, so cold weather/snow/freezing rain/etc. is nothing that is totally unknown to me. but to everyone else here, if you;ve grown up in south Texas, anything below 65 degrees is cold.

I have yet to break out my heavy coat or turn on the heat - but I did have to put on a sweatshirt ands gloves to scrape the sheet ice off my cart windows this morning.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:42 AM UTC
Gosh, I WISH we could get some snow over here. It's been in the 50's all winter. We have so far had two flurries, neither lasting more than 5 minutes.

I find it hard to believe it's the middle of January!
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:38 AM UTC
In December we got hit with massive rains, high winds and snow in less than 2 weeks.

We're now into our 14th storm here on the Canadian We(s)t Coast.......
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:42 PM UTC
My second winter in Washington state and we already had the wettest month ever, Nov 2006, and I swear that so far we've had 3-4 times the snow that we had last year.

I may never be able to use an airbrush again.
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 02:43 PM UTC
In Belgium temps are up way to high. we now have temperature readings we should be having in the spring, between 8° and 14° C..
No snow, but a lot of rain and windstorms, up to 12 bft on the coastline..
Nice to make walks on the beach after the storm settles, but not nice if you're working as shipping agent and you can't make any plans for your private time because ships are delayed continously and you're on standby 24/24 hrs until they finally get a pilot onboard and berth her... and that's when real work begins...
:(

please give me snow, no matter how high, but stop with the wind already!!!!!!!!
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

please give me snow, no matter how high, but stop with the wind already!!!!!!!!

Over here in deepest Kent we are expecting a further night of 70 -80 MPH winds (128Kph for our freinds on the continong) - this is outrageous for January. This winter i have only had to scrape ice from my car twice.

That Al Nino bloke has a lot to answer for.

Andy
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 03:58 PM UTC
Here in Victoria, there has been plenty of bushfires including one burning since last year...
We have had to get NZ and Canadian firefighters in to help support us, as well as that 'Elvis' water dumping helicopter... There have been many other fires which have joined to make a huge firefront.
Our (small) ski resorts have had to use their snow making machines to defend the ski lodges etc.
Last night it was 40C at 9pm...
I'll line up to give El Nino and 7-day forecasts a kick up the khyber...
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 04:05 PM UTC
It has been very mild here in Central Indiana. This morning it is 15 degrees which is nice for January. We had our first snow yesterday and it was less than a inch.
Was in the 40s most of last week.
It is isn't zero with a minus 35 wind chill this time of year, I will take it...

Shaun
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:57 PM UTC
The fields are green here in Stockholm! For the farmer's sake I hope it doesn't freeze for him. We are looking at cancelling our annual ski trip, very little snow. Many of the fun slopes are without or too little snow...

I would be biking already, but black ice has me thinking otherwise...
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC
Well here in the Redwoods 6 mi from the Pacific ocean we have experienced high temp of 38F during the day dropping to 22F at night.
It is an extremely dry cold snap and there is still ice from the previous moisture on the ground.
My wife's goldfish pond has 3" of ice on top.

Definately weird weather for central coastal CA.

Cheers,
Charles