_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Getting work published.....Help!
Beaver22
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi there

I am a 23 year old model maker from the midlands area. I have been building for over 10 years and am very eager to get some of my work published. I have started writing articles and tech guides for practice and love the idea of being able to pass on some of my knowledge to others.

How do I start getting some of my work in print. I am joining IPMS ASAP and am looking forward to Modelkraft on the 4th Feb where I hope to make some new friends and contacts.

Plesae help.

Stuart
Stratford Upon Avon
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
entire network: 1,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:00 PM UTC
I guess you're on the right path.
Basically you have just to get in contact with editor of some modeling mag and show him some samples of your works and writing skills.
I've just got my first build article published, and it feels great I can tell you. In my case the editor saw one of my works on the Big A and contacted me. After that w've met on a contest and so it took off.

Good luck in getting your works published!
Greg
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:30 PM UTC
It depends on the print media - magazine or book.

Magazines have a contact number/email you can submit work too. It can be tough becuase they have 'regular contributors'. Plus with the production cycle being quite far in advance it can be tough to break in.

For books, there are companies (at least here in the US), that take manuscripts and do small batch printing. My Dad did it, he created a word document with a few images (middle photo spread) and submitted it and got it printed.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:33 PM UTC
I don't know about IPMS/UK but on this side of the pond, the Journal Editors are always looking for content. If you're looking to go professional, and it seems you are, you might want to submit articles to this site or others so you have a resume of work to show an editor.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 03:43 AM UTC
You can always start here!
submit an article that you think others will be interested in!
we always love "how to' articles that teach us new techniques

Cheers,
Charles
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you might want to submit articles to this site or others so you have a resume of work to show an editor.

Quoted Text

You can always start here!

Have to agree with Charles and Al. As with any other "job", practise makes perfect. Always good for the CV to be able to show previously published items .. this is just a different media .. but might be considered an easier field to start out from.
Im sure I speak for all members, where we love articles and would welcome such a move! Instant feedback, refining of skills, testing the market and getting to know your audience, would be the reward!
Beaver22
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 06:42 PM UTC
Thank you all so much for the responce.

Wise words from you all. Will hopefully get one of my articles up soon.

Stuart
Inspired in Stratford
Beaver22
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 07:49 PM UTC
I did send away an article I did on the Italeri Commando Jeep. It was my first one and I went a bit mad, sending 1500 words and about 30 pictures. It was sent to Tamiya MMI, Military in Scale and Model Military International in the hope of some feedback. I've heard nothing though. Think I might have sent too much, which would require a lot of editing.

What sort of format should I send articles in. Last time I sent it in the post on a disc with a covering letter.......Won't next time!

Am working on an AFV Club M36 at the moment.....My first tank!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi Stuart, i would certainly echo the same responses that have been given which is to start submitting articles here.

Build articles are probably in demand at the moment and Vinnie has been putting out requests for more of them so why not start there?

I personally find a build article with plenty of photos the most useful.

Give it a go!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I did send away an article I did on the Italeri Commando Jeep. It was my first one and I went a bit mad, sending 1500 words and about 30 pictures. It was sent to Tamiya MMI, Military in Scale and Model Military International in the hope of some feedback. I've heard nothing though. Think I might have sent too much, which would require a lot of editing.

What sort of format should I send articles in. Last time I sent it in the post on a disc with a covering letter.......Won't next time!

Am working on an AFV Club M36 at the moment.....My first tank!

Hi Stuart!

You're enthusiasm is quite refreshing, mate!
And I for one am happy to see the torch burning, to keep this love of plastic alive that we all share. . .

I've been writing freelance for many years now, and quite honestly, sometimes it can be a bit tough to get your foot in the door anywhere, whether it be a hard copy submission, or an on-line format. But the one thing that you as a writer and a modeler must remember is, don't get discouraged!

It may prove helpful in the long run for you to try to contact the editorial staff of any magazine(s) that you are submitting to before you send in your stuff, just to make a formal contact first. . .as far as submissions here at KitMaker, here is a link to help you out :

Submissions

Good luck in your works!
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 08:23 PM UTC
I guess I should chime in here. I have been a regular contributor to Military Minatures in Review for the last 3 years, and I am currenlt working on a book for Ampersand Publishing. The best advice I can give you is to call the editor and talk to him for a bit. Find out what they like and what they don't! What type of pictures do they want, any specific background colors, ratio of in progress to detail and finish pics. How long should an article be, and what should and shouldn't be covered. Be prepaired for rejection, but keep submitting in their format and if the work is what they want eventually you will be published.
Beaver22
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC
I am going to Modelkraft 2007 in Milton Keynes on the 4th Feb, its a huge model show with lots of stalls, clubs and magazines. I was Going to take along my current piece (when it's finished!) to enter into a competition, Plus a folder of pictures of some of my other builds to try and get some contact names and tips.

Has anybody done a similar thing. This is my first show and I don't really know what to expect.

I must say it is really encouraging to find such kind and helpfull people out there, thank you to you all once again.

Stu
 _GOTOTOP