History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
US MARINE TO RECEIVE MOH -SEMPER FI
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC
First Long War Marine to receive Medal of Honor
By Staff Sgt. Scott Dunn, Headquarters Marine Corps

Quantico, VA (Nov. 10, 2006) -- A corporal who died shielding men in his care from a bursting grenade deserves America’s highest military decoration, President Bush has confirmed.

Actions by Cpl. Jason L. Dunham, who would have turned 25 today, merit the Medal of Honor, Bush said at the National Museum of the Marine Corps’ dedication ceremony, which coincided with the 231st Marine Corps anniversary.

“And on this special birthday, in the company of his fellow Marines, I’m proud to announce that our nation will recognize Cpl. Jason Dunham’s action with America’s highest decoration for valor, the Medal of Honor,” Bush said in front of approximately 15,000 people.

The announcement prompted a booming “Ooh-rah!” – a spirited cry among Marines –from the back of the crowd, and a long applause followed.

On April 14, 2004, in Iraq near the Syrian border, the corporal used his helmet and his body to smother an exploding Mills Bomb let loose by a raging insurgent whom Dunham and two other Marines tried to subdue.

The explosion dazed and wounded Lance Cpl. William Hampton and Pfc. Kelly Miller. The insurgent stood up after the blast and was immediately killed by Marine small-arms fire.

“By giving his own life, Cpl. Dunham saved the lives of two of his men and showed the world what it means to be a Marine,” said Bush.

Dunham lay face down with a shard the size of a dress-shirt button lodged in his head. The hard, molded mesh that was his Kevlar helmet was now scattered yards around into clods and shredded fabric. Dunham never regained consciousness and died eight days later at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., with his mother and father at his bedside.

Dunham’s commanding officers from 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, investigated his actions and nominated him for the Medal of Honor. After two years and seven months making its way to the White House, the nomination now has the necessary approval from the president. The president will present the medal and citation at a date to be determined.

Hoping the president would make the Medal of Honor announcement on their son’s birthday, Dan and Debra Dunham drove to Quantico from their home in Scio, N.Y. Dunham is buried in Scio.

“The public now knows what Jason did,” said Deb. “We still have a loss, but the gift that Jason gave helps us go on.

"The good part is that we get to make new memories and bring new people into the family; the bad news is there will be no new memories with Jason.”

The president acknowledged Dan and Deb sitting in the front row. The parents held each other close as the audience gave a resounding applause.

“We took (the applause) as a thank you for us, but it was for Jason,” Deb said. “At that point, Dan and I were missing Jason a lot.”

Addressing Dunham’s parents, Bush said, “We remember that the Marine who so freely gave his life was your beloved son. We ask a loving God to comfort you for a loss that can never be replaced.

“As long as we have Marines like Cpl. Dunham, America will never fear for her liberty.”
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 04:49 PM UTC
Yep... It was all over the news when His family went donw to Quantico to recieve it. He Lived about 45 min from me............
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 05:50 PM UTC
A fitting reward for a brave man. May we always recall his heroic sacrifice.
DJ
AIRBORNEDAD
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 09:17 PM UTC
I just finished reading the book "The Gift Of Valor" by Michael M. Phillips that accounts for CPL Dunham's actions and found that even though it is a short read (240 pages), it is a powerful book and tells the story very, very, well. This Marine was just doing his job and trying to get his guys back home in one piece.

A well deserved honor for a TRUE HERO and a PROUD FAMILY !

Rest In Peace, MARINE

SEMPER FI,

ABD

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 07:41 AM UTC
ABD-- well put! The saddnes of losing another Warrior can never be overcome. But, for our Nation to recognize his heroism in this fitting manner is heartwarming. "Rest well Warrior, you did well."
DJ

PS-- I'd take exception to your "Combat Lesson #1: NEVER FOLLOW A LIEUTENANT TRYING TO READ A MAP." The vast bulk of Officer do just fine with a map in combat or training. Practice makes perfect. Work on teamwork and compensate for each others shortfalls. My Combat Rule.
Rangers Lead The Way!
DJ
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 08:40 AM UTC
A valiant brother in arms has fallen. I salute him, his family, his corps, and his nation. Semper Fi
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 03:39 PM UTC
Ive only really ever seen such things in movies but to hear of it actually being done on the battle field is truly humbling.

The world has certainly lost another angel. An award that has been long deserved.

BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 08:55 PM UTC
RIP Marine - your tour is over now.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:59 PM UTC
I found out My Fiancee Went to High School with him. She said he was the type of kid that would Shovel Sidewalks on Snowdays... and If people insisted on Giving him $$ he'd go home Put it in an Envelope and return it to them............ That tell me alot righ there.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:51 AM UTC
I heard about this young man's sacrifice several years ago. My saddness is that this Marine was compelled to do this to save his comrades in arms from a cowardly enemy. My pride is that this self sacrifice is a trait that has always been shown time and time again by members of our Military showing the type of people we are.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 08:49 AM UTC
This is an honor that this Leatherneck deserves and has earned. He is an example to every one of his fellow Marines. May we all strive to be the man and Marine that He was.

PS. I do think that it is unfourtunate that the process (MOH) takes so long to complete. I do understand the process behind it but it would be nice if the DOD and the government would move faster for the sake of the families.