_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Enkay Magnifying Headgear
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hi all

I was really lucky this Christmas - Dave O'Meara (GrumpyOldMan) very generously sent me a great addition for my workshop - a set of Enkay magnifiers. Hopefully we can syndicate the review to the whole Network but, in the meantime, you can read more about them on Aeroscale.

All the best

Rowan
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
Hope you use them in good health Rowan. :-)

For anyone interested you can order them from here:
PaPaJohnsToolBox

Look under magnifiers, you find them and other types.
uproar
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 05:33 PM UTC
I purchased a lighted headgear magnifier with interchangeable lenses from Micro-Mark a few years ago and can't do anything without them--I've become quite farsighted in the past few of my 47 years, and need all the help I can get. I do believe they are the exactly the same as the Enkay magnifiers, judging from the website (Micro-Mark has been known to sell things on their website with the brand name omitted). I'm sure I spent A LOT more on mine, though! One thing I would suggest for anyone purchasing one is to be sure to buy spare bulbs and batteries. You will invariably forget to turn it off and burn out the bulbs, at least a few times. It just happens.
Fazer1006
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hi,
Been looking for something like this for a while
Does anyone know where to get the Enkay or equivelent glasses in the uk
mark
uproar
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 01:18 AM UTC
Does Micro-Mark ship to the UK?

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81838
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 09:45 AM UTC
The one I see most people wearing is either the Optivisor, or an equivalent type. They seem to be the name in head mounted magnifers.

A quick search on ebay came up with a page of possibles.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPTIVISOR-OPTICAL-GLASS-BINOCULAR-MAGNIFIER-DA-5_W0QQitemZ150183002113QQihZ005QQcategoryZ121893QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPTIVISOR-WITH-4-AUXILIARY-LENSES_W0QQitemZ290183841729QQihZ019QQcategoryZ150083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't seen anything as "minimal as in the article I must admit.

I favour the Optivisor from the point of view it uses optical ground glass lenses. My eyes are bad enough without doing more damage.

Got to admit the only thing holding me back is the possible weight issue and the fact my wife is going to take the mickey out of me even more wearing them than she does over my modelling now !!

I currently use a magnifier on an flexible arm which I find slightly restrictive, never in the right place, and the arm gets in the way sometimes, but I cant do without it the old peepers have got that bad !!

I'd love to get something to replace it and those look very unobtrusive, light wieght but I guess it'll be Optivisor in the end, as the UK does not seem to have the ones mentioned in the article.

Alan

Fazer1006
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:41 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies, guys, I will check them out
Mark
 _GOTOTOP