_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Cheap Polisher, Buffer, and Sander in One
etched
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hobby items are sometimes difficult to acquire. Having lost everything to hurricane Katrina and still living on modest means, yet eager to continue a hobby, I have sought different materials.

Quite by accident I have discovered this excellent sander, buffer, and polisher that I had given to my daughter: OYNX PROFESSIONAL. Not only does this have all four grades in one item (each to a four sided block), it also is flexible enough to fit snugly against the item being applied. This is important to fit into low areas of an item that is to be sanded. Each side of the block lists clearly what the surface quality is.

Something like this is ideal when working with small figures, such as those from the new Stalingrad Inferno, DR6343, where putty is required to fill in the open gaps.

What a bargain! This item costs less than a dollar and is simply blocks away from where I live at a pharmacy with no need to ordering from a web site.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 04:48 PM UTC
Just to clarify - is it a cosmetic piece? Is it's original purpose for filing and polishing fingernails?

It looks good and if it's flexible it really adds value.
etched
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
You are right. Its original purpose was for nails, not cosmetics.

Roger
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
Yep... I noticed one in a Flyer at my mom's house....... (She does Hair)... May have to get her to pick one up for me.....
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 09:24 AM UTC
That is a good sized one. I see a smaller version at my grocery checkout line... about 2 inches long and 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide per side.

I used to see them as separate boards, but his must be the latest marketing fad. Either way, you can't beat the price at $1.00 US dollar... Unless, of coarse, you raid your wife or daughters vanity...
 _GOTOTOP