_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Adv. Notice of Contest!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 11:37 AM UTC
Ok...I have been busy with work it's true. But I am really itching for more articles on the site. So much so that I am having a little promotion soon to help encourage everyone to man their keyboards and write! The details of this promotion (exact start and end dates, etc.) have yet to be finalized. But I just wanted to let you know a little about it so you can start working on one or more submissions if you want to win something.

The contest is being sponsored in part by the fine folks at Military Hobbies (www.militaryhobbies.com). Thanks Dave! Currently what is planned is that 5 individual winners (picked at random -multiple entries allowed) will win a copy of "Building Dioramas" by Sheperd Paine and signed personally by him. Not a 1/16 Tamiya Tiger, but I sure as heck would like a copy! An "entry" will be either a full article (build story, reference article, technique how-to, etc.) or a product/kit review. There will be minimum page requirements and level of quality to meet for an entry to be considered valid. I will be working on trying to get some runner up goodies. No promises yet on that.

The likely start of this contest is April 1, 2002. It will probably run for about 90 days. Hope you can submit something and good luck!

Thanks,
Jim
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 11:44 AM UTC
That sounds really great, to bad I'm too new at this to have anything to submit.

Can I write an essay on my summer vacation instead :-)
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 02:38 PM UTC
Don't let that stop you. I am new at this to and I am going to try. A lot of the information in the message boards have great info for beginners. My idea (and I don't mind if others do this) is to take that info, try it, and document how it works. Doing it from a begginers view is a good idea I think so the site will be helpful to people of all skill levels. Find something new, try it, take a few pictures, write down the steps and useful info, and send it in.

The truth is I have already done this with a few things and look forward to sending my results in as soon as I get the photos developed and take the time to write down the info.

Great idea for the site by the way! Glad to see Military Hobbies taking an intrest.
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 06:04 PM UTC
Jim,

Has Armorama considered doing their own giveaways for various kits and such? What kind of budget would that involve? Just thought it would be a neat thing to every once in awhile be able to feel like I had a slim chance to win something. LOL

Lucas Freeman
Brunswick, ME
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 07:21 PM UTC
Just don't tell us on April 1st that it was an April Fool's joke.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 08:33 PM UTC
Wow! Jim;
that's a great chance to come up with more articles (But I know mine isn't so good in quality as the others, but just to participate will be an honnor!).
Cheers!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim,

Has Armorama considered doing their own giveaways for various kits and such? What kind of budget would that involve? Just thought it would be a neat thing to every once in awhile be able to feel like I had a slim chance to win something. LOL

Lucas Freeman
Brunswick, ME

Don't bother Lucas, if there's a kit to win, Sabot will win it...the Gods have spoken.

Just kidding...

Tread.

Sorry Rob, just had to say it
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 09:29 PM UTC
Good idea Rob! Been wanting to try my hand at one of these things anyway. The articles you already have on the site are quite good, so I think we'll all have to work real hard.
Now the question is, what do I write about? Hmmmmm, decisions, decisions.....

Hey I've got a suggestion, can we disqualify Rob? I mean, that would be almost unfair....how about Gunnie & Kenc' too? What, you won't do it? I'm going to tell my mommy on you then! You're in trouble now.....

Tread.

P.S. Hey Jim, I'll contact you off Forum later today about providing some kits for prizes and such OK?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! Jim;
that's a great chance to come up with more articles (But I know mine isn't so good in quality as the others, but just to participate will be an honnor!).

Paulo,
Don't sell your work short. Your stuff is just as valuable to the site as anyone elses.

In fact that reminds me to point out something I don't want this site to become. While I think it's great to have articles written by pros. I think it's just as valuable for our fellow modelers to read stories written by beginners and intermediate/advanced skill level builders. After all if everything on this site was written by the masters I wonder if we would ever think "we" were capable of trying their techniques? For instance if Michelangelo wrote a story about how to paint the Mona Lisa...that wouldn't necessarily make me think I could paint it!

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. Hey Jim, I'll contact you off Forum later today about providing some kits for prizes and such OK?

Tread - That would be great!! Keep this up and you will gain a special rank of "Site Patron Saint". Living saint of course. hehe... I was actually thinking of throwing in some of my unbuilt kits as runner up prizes too. If anyone else is interested in helping the site out in this way let me know.

Thanks,
Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 10:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey I've got a suggestion, can we disqualify Rob? I mean, that would be almost unfair....how about Gunnie & Kenc' too? What, you won't do it? I'm going to tell my mommy on you then! You're in trouble now.....

Can't speak for Sabot or Kencelot (as he's knee-deep in Dragon Wagon Doo-Doo ) but I'm game to give it a go. I'd even be willing to support an introduction of "handicapping" to really make things interesting - if Jim and the other members of the forum decided in their infinite wisdom (read: devious minds) to broaden the field of participation and encourage everyone that their pitch into the ring is equal to everyone elses.

Handicap Me Baby!!! - I'll still participate Tread!

(truly braver words have rarely been written - especially when you don't know what someone could come up with as a "handicap")

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 11:10 PM UTC
Gunnie & Tread,
LOL....well we know Rob has a propensity to win random drawings, but as there will likely be multiple grand prizes (and he can only win one of those max) then that will leave 4 for others. And hopefully some more runner-up prizes too.

I will try to get the full-details of the contest posted soon.

Cheers,
Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 11:46 PM UTC
Jim - I wouldn't mind tossing in one of my Tamiya Tiger I model kits into the prize pool.

Now, let me find it - here kitty, kitty, kitty...

(No - NOT you Kencelot )

Gunnie
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 01:20 AM UTC
Hey, that seems like a good thing.. I have to try to scribble something. But, that actually means I'll have to finish a kit in less than a year.. hmm...

BTW, Jim, would it be a one big contest, or would it be divided in categories? Like Allied WW2 Armor, Modern Armor, Figures...?

Mario M.

pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 01:22 AM UTC
Jim,
Sounds like a good idea. I do believe I have something to toss into the prize pool also.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 02:41 AM UTC
Jim,
I might be able to contribute to the prize pool to. Remember, I work at a hoby store!!!!!!!!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
Oh, I could contribute but my level might not be up to standard.
'Don't do what Donny Don't does. Don't touch sharp hobby knife blade.....'
Hmmm, could there be an entry for funniest/stupidest entry? Nah, just kidding. I'll have to scramble and see what I can do.

YodaMan
PS If you're thinking of prizes, go with the Fine Molds X-wing...please?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 05:57 AM UTC
Tread, Gunnie, Ron, and Pete,
Thanks guys. Maybe you'll also have an entry in the contest and win your own kit! LOL

Seriously it would be great to have a broader range of prizes. Just let me know via email what you want to contribute kit wise. That way I can include it in the promotional materials. If you can do this by Saturday that would be great.

Thanks again,
Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hmmmm...
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 08:12 AM UTC
It would be great if there were some catagories.
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't bother Lucas, if there's a kit to win, Sabot will win it...the Gods have spoken.

LOL

Lucas Freeman
Brunswick, ME
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 11:16 AM UTC
Jeeeeez, Jim, see what I started! I post the message this morning, and leave the forum for the day to earn a living, planning on getting back to you as soon as I get back home. Turn on Armorama and what do I see? Everyone offering up support to the site! DAMN this group is good!
I cant tell you how cool it is to see everyone participating and offering up parts of their own model stash for the good of the group! I am humbled.

Tread.

I count myself lucky to be counted amoung you all! JIM, you should be proud of what you've wrought!!!!!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I count myself lucky to be counted amoung you all! JIM, you should be proud of what you've wrought!!!!!

Tread,
In the words of the immortal Scooby Do....

"Wrought" Ro!!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Thanks! Wish I could claim all the credit but I think I may have to share.

Jim
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 07:08 PM UTC
OK guys, since you feel I will win a random drawing, just have everyone send me the prizes and we'll pretend we had a contest and that I won the random drawings.
 _GOTOTOP