TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
slaughterhouse 5: comments please
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:38 PM UTC
I would like to know more about this movie. Is it worth watching?
What is it about?
Is it a war movie?
I have really never heard about this movie that is why need your help. I saw the movie in wal-marts movie discount bin and was courious about it.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
The movie was done on the assumption that it's 'target' audience were loyal consumers of hallucinogens (in industrial quantities)

Leave it in the bargain bin! If it follows you home, throw into the neighbor's yard... Total Crap...
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC
I saw this when it was first released and there are scenes that still jump out at me. There is a scene set in the aftermath of Dresden where th hero has been captuired by the Germans and is being made to clean up the city, His friend picks a religious statue from the rubble and is gunned down as a looter. The title, IIRC, come from the POW camp he was kept at.
Follow this link to a descriptionand discussion of the movie.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC
Well worth catching, but it's not an easy ride - it needs to be watched while bearing in mind the source material (a semi autobiographical novel by Kurt Vonnegut) and the time it was made.
To dismiss it as a piece of psychedelic 'crap' is to do a dis-service to a very good film IMO.

$0.02

acav out
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 05:07 AM UTC
I rather liked the movie too, but you gotta be in the right frame of mind for it. It is humourous in some places but in others it's pretty serious. Watch it for fun and don't expect things to be the way they should be.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:08 PM UTC
Love it or hate it, it's a movie of a Kurt Vonnegut book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse-Five

Like most movies made from great books, it does not quite capture everything that was in print. A movie review:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069280/
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:16 PM UTC
It's certainly not a "war movie." It's kind of hard to put a label on it. Sci-Fi is more like it. It was based on a book by Kurt Vonnegut who was a POW in Dresden before and after the raids. In the film the POWs are taught how to identify where they are housed as Slaughterhouse 5, hence the title. The POW and Dresden bombing scenes are only part of the movie. At most about 1/3 to 1/2 of the movie takes place in 1945. The main thing is the central character comes "unstuck" in time. So he switches back and forth between his childhood, the war, his adulthood, and time spent on some foreign planet.

As a totally non-PC aside, and one I could see the moderators object to, the movie does have some brief nudity. Valerie Perrine shows off her not inconsiderable assets. For a while it seemed Ms Perrine couldn't do a movie without showing these off. She even made it onto PBS in one program, Steambath. That show by itself got more teen aged male friends of mine watching PBS than ever thumbed through National Geographic.

It's not a bad movie, nor a really great one. It was a movie shown in a film class I took in college. Critics liked it. I'd say it would be totally up to your likes and what you are expecting when you watch it.

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 06:34 PM UTC
Masterpiece of non-linear narrative. Not really a war film, Dresden is only an episode in Billy Pilgrim's life, but obviously one that sticks with him. Probably better to read the book, at least you can put it down when your head starts to spin. Seeing the film helps you to visualise Montana Wildhack though...

There are several obviously autobiographical bits in it, IIRC Vonnegut was with the 106th ID which got badly hit in the BoB, I think he's one of the scouts who are with Billy Pilgrim in the woods (and get killed) and then appears as himself later on.

David
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 09:34 PM UTC
Best bet is read the book first(it's worth it) then decide on the flick.
Alternate choice is if movie is only a buck or two,go for it.Wasted more money on bad booze,right?
cheers!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:00 PM UTC
Ditto. Read the book. It is a classic.
Shaun
//It is the "The Year of Vonnegut" in Indy.
///He was born there.