Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
A day at the range .... sweeeeet
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:59 AM UTC
Sunny but slightly cold, we decided to bring our blackpowder collection to the range ... we allso brought a camera...

Here I have "killed" a used spraycan with matt lacquer (a little model related :-) ) and killed it with my 1873 Winchester (Uberti replica)

At the moment of blastoff :-)

Now this is a lucky shot:

Right at the moment of ignition, but before recoil sets in...

All in all, a perfect day ....
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 06:35 PM UTC
Looks like you had a blast, literally!. I haven't been out to the range in over a year. There's nothing like sending a load of lead downrange to relieve the stress. I'm going to have to make the time to go soon.

What are the gunlaws like in Denmark? They're pretty tough here in Maryland, but we can still own most anything as long as we jump through the appropriate number of hoops.
IndyCopper
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC
I never tire of range days Luckily in my job I get plenty of range time. Just one question--why is it that almost every trip to the range is either too hot, too cold, too wet or too windy Not that I am complaining though, it sure beats regular duty :-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
As soon as I find a way to upload my Tank firing vids,I will share.I like seeing rifles and shotguns firing.
SmashedGlass
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 04:21 AM UTC
I've actually had several 'perfect' range days....but it really had nothing to do with the weather lol. These are my two 'perfect' day situations:

a) live-fire with rifles, pistols, and automatics outside the gate at Al Asad AB in Iraq back in late '03. It was 'perfect' due to the fact that we pretty much had none of the typical range restrictions and were firing at..ahem..surplus Iraqi armored and soft skin vehicles. The .50 APIT round looks so much prettier when you get to shoot up a real target.

b) Close Quarters Combat Training with the 10th SFG on Ft. Carson recently. Typical day at the range(s) we fired an average of 400 rounds a piece of 5.56mm, and we did this almost everyday for two weeks. That means we got to fire more before lunch each day than the average Joe does all year!!! And once again it wasn't the typical-and boring-"40 rounds at pop ups, qualify, yer done for 6 months". It was a helluva lot more fun firing live in a simulation of real close-in combat conditions.

The Army really needs to re-evaluate it's weapons training program and implement some of the unofficial training that I've taken part in. It would make our soldiers a lot more confident and effective when they actually have to go out and fight.

My $.02, minus tax.....
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I never tire of range days Luckily in my job I get plenty of range time. Just one question--why is it that almost every trip to the range is either too hot, too cold, too wet or too windy Not that I am complaining though, it sure beats regular duty :-)

I couldn't agree more. I got stuck with a rifle qualification date of 11/27 this year. Last year we got soaking wet but this year it was beautiful. Made me shoot better. Shooting in doors is good but shooting outdoors rocks!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 09:43 AM UTC
I miss being in Wisconsin and being able to go to my family's deer camp and shoot all day. My favorite was "pistol golf." throw a bunch of golf balls out on the yard, then see who can knock one the farthest with a .22 ... or vaporize it with a bigger bore. We'd also shoot our rifles at targets and play with any new acquisitions.

Some of my favorite days in the Army were at the range. I always volunteered for range duty when I was an NCO. I was pretty good at helping some soldiers break bad habits. Like trigger jerk -- it's amazing how many people thought they had to pull hard to make the bullet go ... too many movies.

I shoot shotgun style with both eyes open, which was contrary to Army rules when I went through Basic in 1977. The dang Drill banged on my helmet with a cleaning rod everytime he caught me shooting with both eyes open. Stupid jerk caused me to get Sharpshooter the first time around. I was Expert every time after.

One more story: In Alaska, we were prepping for a range, which meant all the range officers and NCOs had to qualify first while we trained to run the range for the whole battalion. I had a very tight M16A2 (thanks to being good friends with our armorer) and it shot sweet. On the zero range I shoot three rounds and there is only one large hole in the 25m target (I told you it shot sweet!). The lieutenant walks up and says "Gee sarge, you only hit the target once." I say, "No sir, they all went through that hole." He looks at me like I'm trying to sell him a blind horse, then says, "You need to have three holes in your target so we can triangulate your shots." I say, "The triangle is there; it's just really small and inside that hole." He looked at me and didn't know what to say. I adjusted my sights, went back to the line and shot another group. This one had one large hole in the bull and one small one on the upper right bull ring. Lt. says, "That's better, but you still missed with one." I say, "I think I pulled the second shot" and pointed at the smaller hole. He looks at me now like I/m trying to put something over on him. "Shoot again," he says. I do, and there is one new hole in the target -- looks like a 7.62mm hole even though we are shooting 5.56mm. Lt. comes running up and still don't get it -- thank goodness the master sergeant NCOIC tells him to let it be ... I am zeroed.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 12:46 PM UTC
Hey, sorry for getting back so late Cary. Gunlaws in Denmark is pretty strickt, but if you have a justified need - hunting or target shooting - a lot is possible.

No semi of full auto is allowed, but semis wich can hold only 2 rounds are ok. but it kinda takes the purpose away :-)

Arms for hunting requires a huntinglicense, rifles for targetsshooting requires membership of a club, handguns requires a 2 year membership of a club and your level of activity is up for review each year - basically if you are a active shooter much is allowed, if you are a collector a lot is restricted.

Personally I dont complain, i shoot what i like, with what i like - mostly black powder but allso some 9mm and .357.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 08:06 PM UTC
A fun way to kill a day, along with a few cans.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC
I use to love to go up in the mountains and shoot with my buddy during my college days. But then I joined the Army as an Abrams crewmember and civilian shooting will never live up to that!

By chance, my first duty station was in Korea and they were so low on NCO's that they put me in the gunners spot right out of AIT. We got lucky enough at gunnery to be one of the tanks chosen to expend the remaining ammo before the budget year ended. You know you can't leave any ammo left or they cut your $$$$.

I recall one night we must've put at least 50 rounds of 120 downrange and I can't even begin to count how many coax and .50 cal rounds. Downside....a [auto-censored]eload of cleaning the next day!!!