Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Combat Garage on The History Channel tonight
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 04:14 AM UTC
At 11:00 p.m. EST tonight a new show premiers. Combat Garage. Tonight they highligh the M4 Sherman. Here's a description from thier website:

"Nothing embodied the power of the American army in World War II more than the M4 Sherman, and it was the tank that won the war for the allies. Our gang of gear heads has an M4A3 Sherman in desperate need of an engine overhaul. They will pull out the vintage Ford V-8 engine, rebuild it, and then fire it up. Explore the Sherman's strengths; weaknesses; and remarkable battle history and get a whole new appreciation for those unsung army mechanics who fixed broken tanks in combat amid enemy fire."

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 06:43 AM UTC
Just in time to try out my DVD-R., It's getting programmed right now.

Thanks for the tip.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:36 AM UTC
It was a pretty good show. There was some footage that didn't match the narration, but the restoration projects were pretty cool.

One was re-installing a French 75mm gun into a M50 in upstate New York. They crew wasn't in their own shop, so they had to improvise and it took three forklifts and a lot of tools -- imperial and metric -- to get the gun put back in the turret. Even though it's an Israeli tank, the owner had it painted in U.S. WWII style. Too bad.

The other job was a Ford GAA engine in an M4A3E8 in California. The volunteer crew (different from the other job) had to pull the engine, install new cam cover gaskets, rebuild the clutch and install a reburbished starter, then put it all back together -- all on a three-day weekend. I liked this segment best. They got her running and it was great to hear that old motor run -- reminded me of the AMPS Nats in Ohio this year.

At the end of the show, the narrator implied that more Sherman projects may be coming, as well as other restoration projects. I'll be watching again.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 05:46 PM UTC
Thats a show that sounds right up my street - of course History Channel Uk is not showing it

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 05:53 PM UTC
This sounds very much like a show which was broadcast in Britain a few years ago. Although the one in Britain WASN'T specifically about military vehicles, the highlight was the restoration (to full running order) of an M10 TD...