_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Ford Mustang GT 2005
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC
I recently purchased a Ford Mustang GT 2005 at the Telford model show and im stuck as to what colour scheme to have. If you have seen a interesting scheme or think some colours will look good together please tell me.
Thank you
Lewis Tuffnell
3169 Grimsby ATC
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 09:31 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Lewis.
Now the Mustang is the only U.S car which i would buy. If it was my choice it would be either red or that orange/yellow colour with the 2 thick white stripes down the center of the car, but that's my choice.
You could always do a Google image search and see if you can find one you like.
Ultimately it is up to you what colour to paint it, you could always just go mad on it ,adding flames and just customize as you would if it was your own car .
Andy
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 10:23 PM UTC
Hi Lewis.
Welcome to the site.
A Mustang in red is my favourite colour scheme,,but its your car and you can paint it whatever colour you like :-)
Hope you post some in progress photos as you build it.
You'll be our first car on the site I think.
Have fun and thanks for joining us.
Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi Lewis, nice to see you here The colour scheme that Paul mentioned sounds pretty cool, blue and cream, I think it was, but for me it would have to be red. How are you going to paint it, spray or brush? Technically red is a difficult colour to apply (like white and yellow), so how you apply it is important.

Quoted Text

A Mustang in red is my favourite colour scheme,,but its your car and you can paint it whatever colour you like

Like Nige says, your car, paint it what ever colour takes your fancy. Do you have a favourite colour? If you were to buy the real car what colour would you want it in. Be as wild as you like, if your spraying the colour you could do the rainbow from front to back, or different shades of the same colour.
Do post in progress pics
Mal
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 03:08 PM UTC
Now then, as everyone else has said, the choice in colour is yours. Personally i would spray the body colour get down to Halfords and have a look at the vast range of colours they do, I'm sure you'll find one you like. Any problems or advice needed ask here or alternatively ask myself or Sam on a cadet night / weekend.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:36 AM UTC
Yep Halfords paints would be great for a car model. Before painting make sure that you wash the parts with warm water and a drop of dishwashing soap, us an old tooth brush. This is to get rid of the mould release agent, basically oil. if you don't do this you will have problems later on. Another trick, when painting gloss colours and particularly on cars, is to spray a "mist" coat first. Do this even if you have used a primer, it will prevent the paint from "pulling away" from edges and detail. What I mean by a mist coat is spray from further away than normal, letting the paint form a mist and the droplets of paint hit the model individually, if you see what I mean. You then build up the paint in layers, but don't try and cover in one pass. Each layer can either be left to dry and sanded, to remove any dust or particals in the paint, before the next layer is applied. You would have to make sure that you cleaned off all the sanding residue. The final layer is sanded then polished to a shine. Sanding is done with 1000 grit or smaller, for polishing the grit gets finer and finer, then plastic polish or toothpaste is used. When sanding be carful of edges, which will have less paint on them and you could sand through to the plastic or primer.

If you were using an airbrush then a similar technique is followed, but each new layer has more thinners and less paint.

Another method is to spray in layers, but don't wait for the paint to dry. Spray the first layer, leave for 20 minutes, check for particles in the paint and remove with a pair of tweezers. Spray the second coat, wait 20 minutes, remove any particles with tweezers, a third coat and if necessary a fourth. Then let the paint dry and polish. This method depends on the type of paint and wouldn't be suitable for quick drying paints.

Mal
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 02:27 AM UTC
Thankyou for all you replies and im going to go to halford on saterday to browse the paints. Im torn between two schemes, it's either going to be Sunburst orange and Black racing stripes or, Dark blue and a cream interior. I am definatly going to keep you updated with how my model is coming on and once again thankyou for your advise.
Lewis Tuffnell
3169 Grimsby ATC
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:52 PM UTC
Great Lewis, I'm looking forward to seeing this Out of the 2 schemes I would like the Dark blue one.
Mal
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 04:29 AM UTC
Cool I think I prefer the dark blue idea as well. Sam and I are at the Squadron on Sunday (from about 1030hrs) with a few Cadets so your more than welcome to come down, join in and get the kit started.
paulrobz
Visit this Community
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC
Tuffners,
As promised heres some research i carried out when i was looking into getting the kit. This is why i opted for blue and cream.

Shelby Mustang Stuff:
2006 Shelby CS6
Shelby/West Coast Customs
Carroll Shelby and West Coast Customs Team Up
Carroll Shelby / West Coast Customs Mustang

Heres a few more links regarding cars:
BMC Models
1/24 wheels on ebay
SPC
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hello all,
I have now spent around 10 hours on my Model and have achieved quite alot. Here are a list of the things I have done.
*Smoothed all of the mould lines out of the model
*Stuck the inside of the car together
*Stuck the engine together
*Applied Grey Halfords Primer to all parts
*Painted the interiour of the car a light cream and dark blue
*Added lots of detail to the seats and the dashboard console
*Painted most of the engine
*Stuck the car together (excluding the shell and windows)
*Applied the wheels to the car
In the next few weeks I hope to finish the car and then enter it in our squadron model compitition which i believe Mal is going to judge.
I will also get some pictures on the site showing it in progress.
Also a special thanks to Paul, Allen and Sam for their advice they have given.
Lewis Tuffnell
3169 ATC Grimsby
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:02 AM UTC
Sounds like it's coming on Lewis I can't wait to see it.

Some very nice links there Paul, thanks for sharing

Mal
Choirboy
Visit this Community
entire network: 77 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
Yeh, i like the interior on it now lewis! the stitchin!

i am also gonna try and enter our squadron model competition if my model hawk TMK.1 is finished!

Good work Lewis,

Over and out lol
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:25 AM UTC
"Rodger 2 5 over and out" I quote brock
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi Sam, I hope that you do manage to finish your Hawk, do you prefer modern aircarft?

Quoted Text

In the next few weeks I hope to finish the car and then enter it in our squadron model compitition which i believe Mal is going to judge.

Yes that's correct Lewis, I will also be down your neck of the woods on Sunday 13th January. If there is anything that you or your fellow cadets would like me to cover particularly just give me a shout. I will be trying to cover most things but if there is something do let me know
Mal
Choirboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
Yeh Mal im into fast jet modern aircraft mainly R.A.F none of that USAF stuff !! :-) I will be there mal if i can and i was wondering if you could cover something like basic scratch building, dioramas and painting technique because these are all things which intirgue me thanks! see you then!
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
Thanks Mal their is one thing i would seggest that you cover any type of weathering because I think im going to start a hummer but would like it to look something like this.
http://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/1060
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be there mal if i can and i was wondering if you could cover something like basic scratch building, dioramas and painting technique because these are all things which intirgue me thanks! see you then!

Quoted Text

Thanks Mal their is one thing i would seggest that you cover any type of weathering because I think im going to start a hummer but would like it to look something like this.

OK guys, no problem. These are things that I hadn't planned on covering but it is no problem to cover such things. I intend to cover painting, but to acheive the sort of weathering seen on the hummer requires an airbrush. I know that Lewis uses Aerosols to paint his cars, but am I correct in assuming that most of you hand brush your models?

Mal
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
The Cadets mostly use an airbrush as we have 2 at the squadron.
Choirboy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
Well only for base colours and larger models, so brush painting is a large part of what we do! I would find all of the things mentioned helpful.....possibly also a crash course in applying decals or applying a 'showroom' shine to a model would be useful?? lol but i am sure anything covered will help me greatly as i am a new modeller!
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC
Also you will be able to see the squadrons models when you come including the amazing white vulcan.
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 02:23 AM UTC
With Mal giving some demos, and with me Camogirl and one of our other instructors whos into modelling offering to help i'm sure we can cover most of what you want to be shown. What i propose is that you all get your heads together and come up with a list of what demos you would like to see (lets say before Christmas break) so we can organise the day better.

Quoted Text

including the amazing white vulcan.

its not that amazing its a reconditioned kit very quickly put together and painted. If you think thats amazing you should see some of my other kits.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC
Decalling is definately on the list, I'll put together a list of stuff that I hope to cover and publish it here. I basically intend to cover what might be termed "the basics" but that doesn't mean it's easy. It isn't hard either just that, like anything in life, if you don't know then you are at a disadvantage. Most things in modelling are simply techniques to be learnt. You can learn lots of different ways to do the same thing, not all will work for you and some you will be able to develope so that they actually work better. Seeing someone do them and explain what they are doing is always better than reading about it. Alot of the stuff, like painting, applying decals and cement, and fillers is mostly about understanding the chemistry. Not the actual chemistry but simply understanding what you can an can't do and why.
Of course none of this seeing and listening is worth anything if you don't look and listen, but the real key is in the doing. I hope that we can have alot of doing on the 13th Jan
Mal
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope that we can have alot of doing on the 13th Jan

I'm all for that Mal. Can't wait.
Lewis Tuffnell
 _GOTOTOP