_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The Air Compressor Soap Opera Continues-Input Needed
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC
Well, this Friday I will purchase my first airbrush compressor and until today I thought I knew exactly which one it would be-the Campbell Hausfeld FP2003 from WalMart. Today I found out that the Michael's craft store here will have their airbrush compressors available to purchase at 50% off using the coupon in last Sundays paper. So, I need some advice from those who may own the following compressors and any suggestions you may have:

1) Badger WhirlWind II (Model 80-2). I've check the Badger website and this seems like a decent compressor. The only negatives I see is that it looks like it doesn't come with a reagulator or moisture trap. Can anyone comfirm that? It also doesn't have an autoshut off or a tank. At 50% off, I can purchase the compressor at $85 but would have to fork out the money for a reagulator and moisture trap. If any of you have this compressor, I would appreciate some feedback.

2) Badger Cyclone II (Model 80-11). This one seems the better of the badgers available at the store but also looks as if it doesn't come with a reagulator or moisture trap. Can anyone confirm that? It has an autoshut off which seems like a really nice feature since the compressor will only run while the airbrush is operated. It also doesn't have a storage tank that I could tell. At 50% off, I can pick it up for $135 but would still need to get a reagulator and trap.

3) Campbell Hausfeld FP2003. This one seems to be the frontrunner because of the built in reagulator and tank. It's advertised as "Quiet Air" but I am kind of concerned about the decibel level because in the winter I will airbrush in a well ventilated room. It seems the bargain as well because it comes with the reagulator which would only leave the moisture trap to pick up. I can get it for $99 at WalMart everyday.

I'm fortunate that my wife has told me to get what I want so I am flexible to get a more expensive compressor if it is of better quality and would work out better. That make sense to everyone? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
Bryan, seems like quite a deal! Wish we had one of those Michaels down this way.

Anyway, if it were me I'd go with the one from Walmart...the Campbell Hausfeld FP2003. I've been using a Sears model (old one I borrowed from work) It has the tank and regulator too.
I like it very much...better than the one w/o the tank, because once the tank fills, it's pure silence! :-) What I did was put the regulator/moisture trap in-line, meaning, since the Sears already has one (not so sure of it's accuracy either) and I wanted to use mine, which has air filter, regulator, and moisture trap all in one. I simply used a small length of hose from theirs to mine. Than ran my AB hose out of mine. I opened their regulator up full, and use mine to regulate. Works great and best of all it's silent once the tank is full. Last a very long time too!! It has yet to turn back on!

You could get the Campbell and with the saved $$ get yourself a decent regulator/ filter/ moisture trap.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure there'll be plenty more.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 04:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the input Ken. I'm seriously leaning that direction and was just today sidetracked a little bit because of the the sale at Michael's on their Badgers. Thanks.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 04:46 AM UTC
Bryan,
The Badgers indeed do not come with regulators and moisture traps. Go with the Campbell-Hausfield..
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 05:14 AM UTC
The wife has authorized me to get one of the Campbell-Hausfield compressors too, here shortly. And an Aztek A470. :-)
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hey Tin - I have the C/H FP 2003 - GET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your crazy if you buy a compressor without an airtank,
and i guarantee you'll regret it.
For a total of $105 you get the C/H with Tank ( Best deal around )
You just have to buy a moisture trap from C/H for $13.
Here's campbell hausfelds web site - ENTER MP5138 in
the part search when you log on.
[/url] http://www.chpower.com/
- ralph
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Tin - I have the C/H FP 2003 - GET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your crazy if you buy a compressor without an airtank,
and i guarantee you'll regret it.
For a total of $105 you get the C/H with Tank ( Best deal around )
You just have to buy a moisture trap from C/H for $13.
Here's campbell hausfelds web site - ENTER MP5138 in
the part search when you log on.
[/url] http://www.chpower.com/
- ralph

Ralph, thanks for that valuable input! Couple of questions for you since you own the model. How noisy is it? With the tank fully charged, about how long can you airbrush until it comes on again (I realize this depends on the pressure) and do I need to buy a special adapter to be able to hookup my airbrush hose to it or does it come with all the fittings I'll need? Thanks!
Chief
Visit this Community
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hey thanks guys! I been ponderin a C/H FP2300 too, The K-mart going out of business has 3 for $98.99 ea. so I think I'll decrease their shelf stock a little. Too bad they don't carry models! How loud is that compressor anyway, or will it be a factor doing models. I plan on using mine for a pneumatic nail gun etc. too.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 12:54 PM UTC
I've got the C/H from Walmart and an Aztek 470 and am very satified. I did add a moisture trap, but I think I didn't need it. I have never seen any moisture in it. My vote is for the C/H.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 10:57 PM UTC
[/quote]

Ralph, thanks for that valuable input! Couple of questions for you since you own the model. How noisy is it? With the tank fully charged, about how long can you airbrush until it comes on again (I realize this depends on the pressure) and do I need to buy a special adapter to be able to hookup my airbrush hose to it or does it come with all the fittings I'll need? Thanks![/quote]

Tin, heres is the QUICK CONNECT COUPLER set for $2.99 ( a steal ) at Harbor Freight. This is all you will need,
besides the moisture trap.
[/url] http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42444
RUNNING THE COMPRESSOR:
It's just a little noisy ( not loud ) until the tank fill's or you shut off the power to where you want the pressure.
After the tank fill's to it's 90-100psi, it auto shut's off and a very silent internal fan kick's in to keep the comp. cool & from over-heating ( a nice feature, but not included with many other compressors ).
As your spraying and the pressure drops to 75psi, the compressor auto fills the tank back
up to capacity. As long as the power switch is turned on, the comp. will automatically keep repeating this feature
OR - you can fill the tank, and then shut the power switch off for complete silent running until the tank empties.
With 90-100psi - you will have plenty of air for your airbrushing session. I doubt you will even
empty the 2 gallon tank. But if you do - hey - just fill back up !
INCLUDED are a nice coiled air hose & a air nozzle that attaches to tire stems for filling them with air.
Tin - I guarantee you will love this compressor. Also C/H's customer service is top's and
will answer any questions you might have.
You also get a FULL 1 year warranty on the C/H comp.
I Hope this info helped you out - BEST OF LUCK !
ONE THING - MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING - THERE
IS A QUICK & EASY PREP THAT MUST BE DONE THAT SETS UP THE COMPRESSOR FOR USE.
- ralph ( P.S. - If you decide to get it, let us know how you like it )
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 11:41 PM UTC
Wow, Ralph, thanks! That's some great info there. I positive now that the CH is the one I will get because of the features. I'll certainly let you know how it turns out when I pick it up!
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, Ralph, thanks! That's some great info there. I positive now that the CH is the one I will get because of the features. I'll certainly let you know how it turns out when I pick it up!

No problem Bryan, anything to help a friend in need !
I know you will be 100% satisfied with this product !
Bryan here's a tip - Just remember to drain the tank after you
finish using it each time. Most of the time you will find it empty, without any moisture.
- ralph
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC
So, I guess my first compressor will be the C/H 2003 in about two weeks... First though is the Paasche H. Do you think it's good to have both a single and double action airbrushes?
For anyone without a Wal-Mart nearby, go to http://www.walmart.com

YodaMan
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 01:44 AM UTC
I have just got myself an airbrush, it is a Badger 350-6 Bottom feed Single action external mix . I have the option of using canned air with it which is the way I will for a while but iI'm not sure what type of compressor I need to fulfill i's needs any advice on a good company or model to look at prefably under $100 (if possible)
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just got myself an airbrush, it is a Badger 350-6 Bottom feed Single action external mix . I have the option of using canned air with it which is the way I will for a while but iI'm not sure what type of compressor I need to fulfill i's needs any advice on a good company or model to look at prefably under $100 (if possible)

Check Yodaman's post right above yours. I will be getting one of those shortly. It is $99.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 05:50 AM UTC
Model Expo has the Aztek A470 with 1 nozzle and plastic case for $39. Just got my flyer in the mail.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/aspfiles/itemdy00.asp?UID=2002021912595550&T1=A4702
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 01:39 AM UTC
At my local hobbyshop, they've got the Aztek (the airbrush, not the butt-ugly SUV) for $130. (actually, I think I saw an Aztek SUV on sale for that much. I think the guy was desparate to get rid of it!)I think it's got 3 nozzles and paint cups. It looks like the one FSM is giving away in thier contest. How come the one on the website is so much less expensive?

YodaMan
 _GOTOTOP