_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Which Mavica Digital Camera should I get?
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hola Fellas!

I've decided its time to get a Digital Camera. Im looking at the Sony Mavica series of cameras. The ones Im looking at are the MVC-CD250, MVC-FD87, MVC-FD75 and MVC-FD100. They all are between $200-350. So...which one would you reccomend and why? Which should I stay away from?

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
Anders, All the pics I've posted online were done with an FD-95. It looks and feels like a traditional SLR and can do superb closeups. See if you can handle these at a local outlet and maybe even bring a few floppies to try them out then look at the results on a computer screen. As you use them, think which one feels comfortable in your hand. Make sure the one you get can use a memory stick adaptor, otherwise you'll only get a few pictures on a floppy at high resolution. At 640X480, you'll get about 33 images on a floppy. At 1200X1600, you'll only get 4. The big drawback of this type camera is the relatively slow record time. (Not an issue for taking pictures of models, but a pain in the keister if you're at a car race trying to get a lot of pics. There's also a delay in the shutter release which takes some getting used to. The really great thing about them is youcan immediately view your images on any computer that reads floppy disks and can decode a .jpg.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 07:01 AM UTC
Anders, you know I like the fd-87, and you have seen the results.

Rob
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:37 AM UTC
And all of mine come from the FD-88... it has really nice features, and is as durable as you could ever want. i've had it about three years. The other nice thing about the "floppy" set up is that you always have an easy supply of storage. If you go with a "memory-stick" product and go on a vacation (without your PC) when you fill up your stick, you can either stop taking pictures or you can spend $100 on another stick. With the FD series, you just go to the nearby office depot, grocery store, or drug store, and buy another 10 disks for $10 !!! This has been really handy to me several times!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hola Keith!

I ended up buying the FD-92 model, it has both the Floppy Disk option and Memory stick. I seem to use the memo stick more then the floppies though.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 02:51 PM UTC
Ah, Sony and the infamous proprietary memory stick. I am not a big fan of Sony cameras but if you like it then good for you. I am personally a Kodak fan. My DC280 has been a sweetheart!
 _GOTOTOP