History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Winchester 1917?
Ducky
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 12:48 PM UTC
Anybody know of any use of the Winchester Model of 1917 in World War Two? My Great-Grandfather carried one all through the war. He was in the Army, in the Pacific. I believe he was on Saipan. I have the rifle at home, and was wondering how much use these rifles saw?

thanks,

Roger

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
Not sure of their use as late as Saipan, but if GGF was in some kind of support unit, it is entirely possible. EDIT: Not quite ... see post below.

A quick Google of "Winchester M1917" came up with this site, which has a bit of history of the "US Enfield." http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl19-e.htm
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2006 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hmmmm.... A bit more research makes me rethink my earlier post. Check this out: http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/M1917.pdf Apparently the U.S. government and the troops didn't think much of the M1917.

Depending upon when he entered service, GGF might have used one in training, but more likely he used an M1903 Springfield, M1 carbine or an M1 Garand by WWII.

Roger, you might have an M1917 that once belonged to your GGF, but it is looking pretty unlikely it is a weapon he carried in WWII. First, the troops did not bring their issued weapons home after the war. Many brought home souvenir weapons they captured or purchased from other GIs, but the issued weapons went back to the arms rooms. I doubt your GGF would be so in love with an M1917 to risk court-martial to bring it home.

I've never seen an M1917 in WWII ETO photos and have just started researching Saipan and Tinian for a Sherman project I'm working on, so though I know some units in the PTO were using some old equipment, I'm not so sure an M1917 would be in use much beyond the first year of the war, much less as late as June 1944.

I am curious to know if anyone has any better info?
Ducky
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:24 PM UTC
Okay, Update.

I found out that yes, indeed, this weapon was his service rifle. Oddly enough, he served with a "rear" company during the conflict, but I found out that he was really up front, generally disturbing the peace. He was not issued the M1917, however, he had purchased it prior to the war. He was throughly unsatisfied with the M1 Garand, as he was an old school woodsman, and believed anything semi-auto was a "Mickey Mouse piece-of-Sh*t" (V-Mail with GGM). As we live in Nevada, during a train stop on the way to San Fransico, he retrieved his faithful deer rifle. He left the Garand, to return it upon return from the Pacific.

When he got to Saipan, he was originally designated as a MP. A guard, for prisoners or something. Then the Banzai started, and he got rid of that duty right away. Spent the rest of the battle on (and behind) the lines, armed with his Winchester from the hills.

Oddly enough, I discovered also that my Grandfather was a Commando of sorts with the Navy in Korea. He was originally on an LST being used as a minesweeper. Someone decided to turn some sailors into a raiding party of sorts for the small islands on the coast.

He won't tell me what happened to him, but I know from the odd bits I've heard something bad happened to him and his unit.

He's an excellent K-Bar thrower, that might have something to do with it.

As of this year, I'm planning a late season hunt with the M1917.

Maybe me and a Nosler Partition can do what "Butch" Hinman did with .30 Ball and Japs.

Ducky
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:26 PM UTC
This is the story my GGM told me, along with what I could piece together from the family records. I don't know the validity of some parts, but i do know about the small notchs on the forend of the rifle.
Ducky
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:55 PM UTC
Okay, I've tracked down the serial number.

Made Sept. of 1917

Winchester Arms

National Match Grade Star

US Ordinance Bomb Proof Marking

I'm gonna go shoot it tomorrow, along with my Savage 1899 Carbine, made 1924 and my Remington Model 11, 1927.