_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
economics
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 08:25 PM UTC
A question for you internet shoppers especially Canadian. Is it cheaper and quicker to order models etc from the net than to order stuff from your local hobby shop? I am not sure how much extra I would be paying if I ordered online? I would probably order from a Canadian store but how much extra would that be S&H etc. I know this is a fairly broad question but any insight would be useful.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 02:00 AM UTC
I can't speak from the Canadian point of view but things online are generally cheaper than at the local hobby shop. That is until you add shipping and handling. Sometimes it is still cheaper in the end, also you tend to place an "order" of several items as opposed to just picking up the single kit you want at the store. The overall price per item drops because the s/h is divided among the kits and sometimes s/h is free after a certain amount is spent.

This "bulk ordering" causes you to spent much more money than you would at a hobby shop because sometimes you add items to your order just to get to the minimum order amount or to reach the free shipping amount. These items are things you wouldn't grab at the store.

Online buying is great though. I move often and many times there isn't a decent hobby shop in the area, or it is a shop that specializes in NASCAR, aircraft, R/C, etc. It's also nice to be able to buy a hard-to-find kit or a kit that would be outrageously priced. For example, when Fine Molds announced the 1/72 scale X-Wing, they were priced in the states at over $40 a piece. I ordered two from Hobby Link Japan and had them in several weeks for $34 delivered.

Remember, when you are ordering from an online store and the price is the same or similar to the actual store shelf price, you're probably paying too much and you need to look at another online site. Also remember to factor in shipping.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 02:29 AM UTC
I order from Military Hobbies.com a fair bit.
If you order more than $50.00, the shipping is free.
They have fairly good prices with a decent selection and are easy to deal with.

Andrew

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC
I do most of my model buying on line. I do enjoy going to an actual hobby shop and browsing but the nearest good store near me is 1.5 hours away. I find that overall the prices on the Internet are a lot better than at the store. Plus if you shop on line you can most likely get things you can't normally find at the store. Shipping cost is basically a non issue unless you decide to have it sent overnight because then shipping might be more $$$ than the order itself.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:12 PM UTC
I've always believed in supporting your local shop. I used to buy from ACE hobbies in New york before it closed and now order what I need from Don at Baseline hobbies in mineola NY. he usually can get me decent prices so I break even with the shipping and handling thing. Most of My yearly purchase excluding paint and supplies is from the AMPS show.

Josh Weingarten Aka shiryon
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:00 PM UTC
I buy supplies locally, but all my kits are coming from Internet sources now. I like to buy from Canada (Military Hobbies) because I get a good deal. I also get a killer deal and good service from maintaining a Masters Group membership with VLS Corp. But, if it weren't for the time it takes in shipment, I'd say the best I get is HobbyLink Japan.

I no longer go to any other Internet retailer because I've been satisified with these outfits.

Now, if PX Armorama comes on-line - I might have to modify this practice...

Gunnie
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 01:58 PM UTC
Look for places with free or fixed shipping rates. I belive Blitzkreg Hobbys has a flat rate. Then perchase a few models. If you only buy one or two then the shipping and handeling will bring the prices to or above the local shops.

As for supplies, they are probably best added on with the above order or bought at your local hobby shop

shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
I like to support my local hobby store but when it comes to ordering a specific item he just doesn't have the buying power to provide. Generally he has to wait until enough people are willing to order from that particular supplier so the wait on the kits can be quite long. So if it's not on his shelves I will order on-line from Military Hobbies and have the kit in my sweaty little hands in a couple of days. Price wise I find that by the time shipping is added in I'm paying a little less on-line then I would from the local shop but I will gladly pay the extra money to purchase something off of his shelves just to help keep him here.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:46 PM UTC
I'll go the my local shop When I'm in the area (65 miles away) Generally I only buy Supplies there anyway (plastic stock Glue paint etc.) Most of my shopping is done on the Internet.
VLS is cool if you have a backorder....... I've been getting 1 or 2 thing every 1-2 weeks from my last backorder (no extra shipping either) Still missing some of the Printed stuff though....
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I order from Military Hobbies.com a fair bit.
If you order more than $50.00, the shipping is free.
They have fairly good prices with a decent selection and are easy to deal with.

Andrew

I looked at their website and the prices are decent. Is there any advantage to joinging there club for $50 a year?
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
I too buy most of my supplies locally, and I have bought many kits from there as well in the past.

Being on a 'theme' lately, I've found that I've had to go to the net to get what Im looking for now-a-days. Most of the 'odd' kits just can't be found at my local shop. I'm sure that they could get them for me (in some cases, not all), so I just go to the net source and skip the 'middle man'.

I do frequent my local shop (Spare Time Shop, Marlborough, MA) about every other week or so. He's got quite a selection of kits, supplies, tools, supplies etc. So much stuff in there that you must watch where you're stepping as it's stacked on the floor too. (No, I don't have an biz interest in STS.)

I do what I can to support that shop. It is exactly 2 miles away from where I live.
 _GOTOTOP