Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Rant on what I've Noticed
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:02 PM UTC
Good title for this location to post this, in a Junk Drawer. :-)

What I’ve noticed happening.

I’ve noticed that requests for info and pics are mainly now being told to buy a book.

I’ve noticed Photos from these books are claiming copy right when they got the picture from archives, (be it US or any other country), that were taken by Military members and are property of that country. For an example A photo of a tank on Iwo Jima in the National Archives. Granted that individual found the photo in some dusty folder somewhere and included it in a book on tanks at Iwo Jima. But doesn’t that photo still belong to the National Archives? (This is an example and not a for instance)

I’ve noticed how requests for info are being requested before a simple search for any info was attempted. Just a simple search provides info so that the person knows a little about the subject and can ask a question more directly. Instead of what color should I paint a tree in summer.

I’ve noticed that a really good question or model can have over 300 people look at the post and have ONLY 5 people say something, and how a simple basic question will have 50 plus responders letting us know what they think about the next model that could possible come out of a company, or what color is the chair their sitting in.

I’ve noticed how clicky people can be and how far someone’s nose will go.

I’ve noticed how little hard work is recognized and how hard some go to have it recognized.

I’ve noticed how someone will try and change this post into something other then what it was intended to be.

I've noticed I've used a lot of these similes.

What have you noticed?

Bob
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I’ve noticed that a really good question or model can have over 300 people look at the post and have ONLY 5 people say something, and how a simple basic question will have 50 plus responders letting us know what they think about the next model that could possible come out of a company, or what color is the chair their sitting in.

That is probably because only five people will have the specific info the poster asked for. Whereas, almost eveyone can answer the simpler questions and of course everyone has an opinion on what kit they would like to see released.

Shaun

/And this is just my opinion...
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 417 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC
Bob,
You make some good points.
However, I think from what I've seen on other site forums, they're all about the same as this one in regard to your points.
Just the "nature of the beast" I guess.
I'm primarily a "lurker" and usually don't go throwing around alot of "attaboys", but I will comment on something I feel is exceptional for whatever reason.(That's my flaw I guess).
I find this site exceptional because of all the knowledgeable people who share their talents with everyone. GUNNY on the Shipwrights forum is such a person. I'm always in awe of his knowledge about almost anything that anybody needs help with.
Sorry if I got off topic there, but I feel this site, even with any flaws that one might feel it has, is still head and shoulders above the others.
Just my 2 cents.
Best regards,
Gary (Don't ya just love those little smilies!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) )
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I’ve noticed that requests for info and pics are mainly now being told to buy a book

Well, guilty as charged (sometimes ) There is a logic behind this. A lot of information is available on the 'web, however, much of it is simply not 'modeller specific' or incomplete. I'm also a great believer in doing research on a vehicle etc. as completely as possible. With the extraordinary quality (and LOW prices) of some material available in book form, it makes (to me at least) logical sense to recommend something complete. There are exceptions. If someone was looking for images of 'BeutePanzers' for example - the best (compiled) information is on one site - on the web. There are not so many vehicle 'specific' sites on the web as some may think, therefore it follows that many times a book will be recommended....
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 03:47 PM UTC
I think everyone is entitled to a good rant every once in a while.
I'm free to agree or not agree.
Usually I just smile, and say- "I'm glad you got that off your chest!"

Some points I agree with Bob, others I don't, aren't you glad we both got that off our chests? :-)

Now I'm off to google photos, and inhale toxic fumes while I build a model. :-)
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 04:37 PM UTC
Now I'm off to google photos, and inhale toxic fumes while I build a model.

Dave,
You're one of the funniest guys on this site.
I look forward to your posts. They're always worth a smile or two!
Best regards,
Gary

PS: I'm sucking down resin dust at the moment. I'm preping my Tarleton bust for Mongo-Mel's painting class. Pushed everything else aside to learn how to paint with oils.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 06:38 PM UTC
OK Thats the spirit guys.

Shaun, Yep opions are like and everyone has one. (Including me) Jumping down to Dave, it is refreshing to rank a little.

Gary, yep totaly agree, this is the best site thats helped me on my modeling skills and with info and places to spend my $.

Jim, yep just spent another 130 on books, on the Stuarts, Shermans, and Cromwell's. Nice library growing.

Dave :-) Thanks man it was, I am, and I'm set for a while.

No dust for me right now to busy playing with some hemp string to make grass. (Think about that for a second)

Thanks Guys,
Bob
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 06:50 PM UTC
Bob,

Quoted Text

places to spend my $.

You bring up a great point here.
Since I joined this site last year, my modeling budget has at least doubled or tripled...much to SWMBO's dissatisfaction. :-) :-) :-)
My guess is ... I'm not alone!
Best regards,
Gary
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good point but two entirely different situations. One of the signs of a modeling site being a "serious" (i.e. good, truthful infomation) source of information is the quality of the answers received, not necessarily the number of responses.

Sites like Armorama and Missing Lynx will have fewer responses, but the information will be spot on whereas Fine Scale Modeler's site will have plenty of responses to a good question. The problem with that site is the answers will be inaccurate, most will be guesses, many will be conflicting. It is hard to spot the correct answers tucked in between all the wrong ones.

A "next model" question, on the other hand, will have tons of responses since the answer is the poster's opinion or wishlist. There really isn't a right or wrong answer to this type of question.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 07:05 PM UTC
Yes I'm guilty.....

I do frequently ask for help and even scanning favours for one main reason...
The Internet service in Saudi is not "free" like elsewhere, its channelled to a single central location and censored as neccessary. I.e. many innocent sites that have a word such as "model" in the title can be banned just in case the word refers to something of a glamorous nature.

Needless to say there are many members on site I owe a great deal of gratitude for the way many rally round and help out. Many many thanks to them.

Cheers
Peter
:-) :-)
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 03:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I’ve noticed how someone will try and change this post into something other then what it was intended to be.

I notice that this has not happened yet.

I have noticed that in general people on kitmaker are helpful,

tI have noticed hat sometimes these people can surprise me in such a positive way that my kitmaker addiction is increasing every week

I have noticed that the staff is dedicated and helpfull,

I have noticed that Jim must be spending most of his nights programming

I have noticed that this site has great potential and future, bringing people from all over the globe together

Or, you make valid points in your rant (as you call it) and we can all take note to do our 2 cnets to even imporve this place
wizard179
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 251 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 06:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

’ve noticed that a really good question or model can have over 300 people look at the post and have ONLY 5 people say something, and how a simple basic question will have 50 plus responders letting us know what they think about the next model that could possible come out of a company, or what color is the chair their sitting in

I've noticed that, unless I have an existing rapport with someone, I only post feedback on people's work when our comparative skill levels are about the same standard; when the modeller is well advanced of my skill level I feel that commenting on their work is like saying "nice picture" to Michaelangelo...

I have also noticed that opinion is pretty free here and that your allowed to have one without getting your head bitten off.

I have also noticed a great deal of fantastic artwork

... and fantastic dedication from the staff.

Keep up the good work

Cheers
Wiz