_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Huertgen forest
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 11:05 PM UTC
Pardon me, but I have an unusual request I'm hoping one of you might be able to help me with. I had an uncle who was with the 28th infantry, and was at the Battle of the Huertgen forest. Recently, he passed away, and I was wanting to make a diorama involving his unit as a kind of a memorial to him.

To make it special, I was kind of hoping to get some actual soil from the Kall trail to add to the base, but being that I live in North Carolina, this seems to be what you could call a "long shot".

By any chance, is there anyone near the area of Huertgen that could possibly help me out? If not, do you know of someone trust worthy enough to help me out? Obviously, I would pay all shipping costs, etc.

Thank you for your time, and for any help you can afford me in this endeavour.
Jumpmaster1a
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 108 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 06:33 AM UTC
Steve, if no one replies with information, perhaps a visit to Tim Streeter's U.S. Army model website could help you out. He (Tim) has a great looking Hurtgen (sp?) Forest scene on his site and looking at it could give you some ideas. Please accept my condolences on the passing of your uncle. My Dad is a World War II veteran and we're losing thousands of them every day. Good luck on your upcoming project and let me know if you need anything. Best regards, Dave
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:02 AM UTC
Thanks Dave, I'll check out that link!
I have contacted the Dept of agriculture about it, just to make sure, but so far noone has gotten back to me yet.Part of the reason I got back into modeling was my Uncle.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC
If you had posted this request back in 1978 I could have helped you. :-)

Spent a week in the area with my Boy Scout troop at summer camp. LOts of old wrecked pillboxes and the like. Forest is still rough and tumble and it was tough hiking.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 3,829 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 03:52 PM UTC
hey there,If not received some earth by next summer, I'll bring some,as I'm passing tru there next summer holiday.Sorry I can't get there sooner.Maybe one of my friends could help out, I'll check it uot.

Greetz Peter

Ps condolances to ur family
ur uncle probably seen the toughest fighting the Us army had to fight in Europe, and looking in retrospective, a total waste of good men and means.
But I guess the top brass needed some blood to wash their battle flags with.

novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hey there,If not received some earth by next summer, I'll bring some,as I'm passing tru there next summer holiday.Sorry I can't get there sooner.Maybe one of my friends could help out, I'll check it uot.

Thanks! I talked to some people from the government, and while they said our phone call "never happened", they did tell me (in this conversation that "never happened") that if you blast it for one or two minutes ina microwave, it will kill anything that may be in the soil. The guy I (never) talked to said thats how they sterilize soil samples at his office.

I appreciate the offer, and will let you know!
Obiwan3
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:18 PM UTC
I can't promise you, but my old Air National Guard unit goes to Geilenkirchen, Germany on a random basis. That's just North of Aachen and the Huertgen Forest. They go for a 2 week tour, refueling NATO AWACS birds. I'll see if we have any roadtrips going there for your request.

My condolences, Steve. My Dad, too, was a WWII vet. He was in Third Army with General Patton. When I was stationed at Bitburg (mid 70's), he sent me to many of the places he had been in the Ardennes and south into NE France. Seeing the monument at Bastogne and the American Cemetary in Luxembourg were moving experiences. The Begiques & Luxemburgers I met while there are eternally grateful for the sacrifices the Allies made. Just remember that about your Dad.
 _GOTOTOP