_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Thinning powder pigments...
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 01:15 PM UTC
I usually thin these with water but I have read that by thinning them with alchol and other products there can be different results.
Could someone tell me the different results that can be obtained?
Thanks,
Andrew

Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:58 AM UTC
You can "Thin" these with almost anything. Alcohol,water, thinner, dopes, white spirit. matt / satin / gloss varnishes .etc.
The results are really similar anyway. Once the "Thinner" has evaporated it leaves the pigment in place. The only difference between the liquids that I have found is that they have slightly different dispersal and evaporation speeds.
Trial and error my friend.
BobTavis
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 219 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC
Just curious as to how you are applying powdered pigments. Powdered pigment without a binding medium will not adhere permanently (thinner does not bind pigment and when dry pigment could just blow/wipe off like a pastel). If you use varnish that will serve as a binder medium but just plain thinner (water, alcohol, mineral spirits, etc.) will evaporate leaving nothing to hold the pigment together.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
I think that a usefull technique here would be similar to using pastel dust. Use a solvent based lacquer to clear coat your project. Disolve the pigments in a solvent that will react with the clear coat. As you apply your pigments, the solvent will liquify the clear coat somewhat and when the solvent evaporates, the pigments will stay put.
BobTavis
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 219 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:44 PM UTC
I understand.
 _GOTOTOP