History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
When Trumpets fade?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:45 AM UTC
I just wanted to know if you all thought the movie "When trumpets fade" (a HBO predecessor to "Band of Brothers") was very historical or not? The CMP recomended it for "history and M-1 Garand action". It was entertaining but I wanted to know the historical perspective on it.
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 585 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 04:27 PM UTC
Depends what you mean- It's set in the Hurtgen Forest campaign, which was very real.
Depends if you consider the post-Omaha bits of Saving Private Ryan accurate or not.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 06:33 PM UTC
I thought it was well done and portrayed the horror and hopelessness of a badly lead and conceived battle. I haven't watched it in a while though.

Tom
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:53 PM UTC
From the books that I've read, it seems pretty realistic to me. Certainly the scenery matches up with the photos I've seen (I have links to current photos of the Huertgem forest I'll post later). I wish the movie had been more of a journey thru the entire ordeal of the Huertgen, but maybe someone someday will take on that endeavor.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:03 AM UTC
I agree with you guys. I thought it was certainly well done. It sure does seem like in the movie the operations were doomed to fail. I know that the battle was real. I was just wondering if a lot of the happenings in the movie had any truth behind them. I'm not talking about the main character of course, but the way the situation was presented and all.
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 06:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

just wondering if a lot of the happenings in the movie had any truth behind them.

Well, from what I've read, they did make push after push,most of the officers above the rank of Captain were in the rear, the Germans pretty much had their artillery pre-sighted, and trying to take the bridge across the river was a bloodbath.

If you want to read a really good account of the Battle, I'd suggest

Has a decent ammount of first hand accounts, as well as tactical info. Well worth the time. Watch "When trumpets fade" while you are reading the book, or afterwards, and the movie will actually seem to be a lot better.