_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
When you paint, do you leave tools on?
zemzero
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC
I notice when people show their work in progress shots, they have packs and tools, guns, etc hanging off their tank or soldiers. I know that is not definitive proof, but I've been wondering.

When I try to paint with the tools on, I end up screwing up the paint job, if I paint and leave off the tools, I end up screwing up the paint when adding the tools, only less so. I haven't got it down yet, but I think adding the tools last works best, I just need to be more careful.

What best works for you guys?
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:45 PM UTC
I always paint tools, equipment, mg's, lmg's etc. separately.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC
With armour, vehicles and figures I always do the same thing. I paint whatever I can seperately before putting it togther, than do light touch up work after everything is together. It works best for me.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 03:38 AM UTC
I also build and paint them separately for placement post painting, but I've seen various techniques (especially with working clamps! ) where the tools can be removed for painting or a thin piece of plastic card is slipped under the tool to prevent paint from getting on the finish and they are painted in place. Never tried either one myself, but have seen "how to's" that demonstrate both methods.
SGT_SHULTZ
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 06:21 PM UTC
As of late, I try to attach the tools first. I think it creates a stronger glue joint.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:45 AM UTC
Build, paint, attach later.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC
I tend to glue eveything on, spray the whole lot then paint the tools etc after most of the weathering has been done.
If your worried about screwing up the paint job by attaching tools after painting ,try white glue/wood glue/pva ,Elmers etc ,as this is strong enough and drys clear,and if you do put too much on , it's easily removed with a moist cotton bud
HTH
Andy
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 06:49 AM UTC
I've been trying it both ways and each has it's positives. Try both and see what you feel most comfortable with, if you leave the tools on and paint later you can either use plastic card as was mentioned or a small piece of wax paper which will be more flexible to get into some tight spots.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 07:07 AM UTC
I used to always paint the tools apart from the kit, then glue them on. I've been trying to glue everything first and then paint as of late. I find that the washes look so much better when they outline of the tools as well. If you have trouble, as I often do, slip an index card under the tools as you paint.

Remember, you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

Patrick
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 08:24 AM UTC
I paint separate then attach and use super glue or liquid cement very sparingly. I figure on weathering paint fade and wear would not effect the tool very much if at all. I then attach the tools and some stowage to apply dust or dirt. I will weather them separately if they are fragile or not attached strongly.

Tom
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 657 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 04:20 PM UTC
hey,
We always paint the equipment first then apply them to the vehicle,using a very small dot of liquid cement,when you place the equipment on the vehicle the cement may travel alittle,just leave it,let it dry,when you shoot the model with you're clear dull coat,the cement will disappear.when you figure in maybe some light washes,dusting,etc; and shoot a final light dust coat of clear dull.you'll be good to go.
Joe
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 05:13 PM UTC
Ola Jim

Well interesting question and probably there are as much answers to it as there are modelers.
I usually glue everything in place on my figures en vehicles. I only leave things off and paint seperatly if that particular part is blocking me in painting something behind it. that is directly in sight.
I had the same problem But through the years... the patience for that sort of things grew and so did the collection of smaller brushes and a little care.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Build, paint, attach later.

I second this!!

Gary
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:27 PM UTC
I do both, depending on mood, need and circumstances. You'll get a stronger joint gluing before primer and paint, but some items have such fine details, that they really don't need all the excess paint covering these details up. A steady hand, and good brushes are the key to painting after gluing.
 _GOTOTOP