_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
An electric knife
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 09:29 PM UTC
I was looking through one of my favorite catalogs the other day and noticed a thing that interested me. It was like a sodering iron, but it had interchangable tips. One of the tips was like a x-acto blade. Has anyone used this type of a tool before?? Is it worth the $10 it costs??
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hmmm, never heard of it Brian. What does it do? Is it like one of those electric knives for the family turkey of the 60's.
Careful of gimmicks. Hmmmmmmmm.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 02:32 AM UTC
Well, electric might be the wrong description, but it is warmed through electricity. I was thinking of it possibilities in opening hatches and stuff like that, heck it might even be useful for doing zimmerite, like I really know what that is...
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 03:41 AM UTC
I have to confess that I own one, but haven't yet used it enough to be able to give a good review. I have only used it to cut through small pieces of plastic and to burn some small designs on wood.

-Neil
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 10:39 AM UTC
Brian,
Yeh, a hot knife. Some do use it for zimmerit, but you need an veeeeery steady hand. I have read than some use it for replicating weld seams. Again, steady hand.I don't know, though. Using it for these purposes seems awfully final for the model. Know what I mean?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian,
Yeh, a hot knife. Some do use it for zimmerit, but you need an veeeeery steady hand. I have read than some use it for replicating weld seams. Again, steady hand.I don't know, though. Using it for these purposes seems awfully final for the model. Know what I mean?

Are you guys talking about a Pyrogravure?
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 04:43 PM UTC
No Tread not a pyrogravure, I think Ron hit on the head - a hot knife. I understand that this kind of tool is very final for a model, my thought against it is it might be very hard to work with. I'm thinking about picking it up anyway and seeing if I can regulate the heat. It would save time in opening things and the like, if nothing else I can make a write-up about it
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 04:28 AM UTC
I heard it is also very handy for cutting styrofoam to shape for making dioramas.
Does anyone have any experience with this. I can order one of these things easily.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 10:53 PM UTC
Another cool tool that I was looking at is called a "Powered Nibbler". I found it in the new Micromark catalog. It's like a scroll cutter. Too darned expensive though for me. $140!!!
Anyone ever use this?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another cool tool that I was looking at is called a "Powered Nibbler". I found it in the new Micromark catalog. It's like a scroll cutter. Too darned expensive though for me. $140!!!
Anyone ever use this?

A powered one - gotta go check my catalog. I have the 3/8" nibbler, and was hoping for a smaller size...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:40 AM UTC
Here you go Gunnie. Same pictures and info as in catalog...if you have'nt already seen it:

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/81556.html
 _GOTOTOP