Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Front Line? No tax
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:30 PM UTC
About bloody time! UK Government has just announced that it's making it so that front line troops, in Iraq and Afghanistan for example, will be taken out of the system and will no longer have to pay income tax.

Vinnie
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 01:36 PM UTC
Too right,fancy having to pay to be shot at and supply their own kit
The bulls**t is piled so high in this country
Just my two bobs worth
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 04:27 PM UTC
Really good news for the forces! After reading the articles concerning the extremely poor pay of the average private, less than £3 an hour, when their workday of 12+ hours is taken into account, almost half the national minimum wage.

Unfortunately knowing the ever-overcomplicated methods employed by the bureaucrats, it’s a safe bet this is going to cause even more problems for the squadies when they get back home. Whatever happened to the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach?
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:28 PM UTC
It sounds like good news on face value but i doubt it will work out that way

They will more than likely get rid of or cut down seperation allowance, x-factor and the TA bounty so they dont have to fork out for it.

Eric,

A tom straight out of CIC is on £38 a day, and you have to be a Major before you reach the civi minimum wage.

It is a disgraceful situation, especially when procurement issues are considered too. Still waiting for my second pair of boots to be issued, been waiting since i joined, and im a lance jack now!
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC
Shoot, wish theyd do that here for our boys. Of course, we cant even keep the populace of a moderate sized city in trailers after their houses have been flooded, so why should I expect anything more I'm a republican with roots in Louisiana, so I voted for you-know-who, but I aint happy with him any more).

Still thats great that your government would even try to do that!
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
I was under the impression that the US military didn't pay tax whilst on active service. Sure that's what good old radio 4 said this morning.

It is about time that the government did something for our troops. Rightly or wrongly they are out there risking their lives on our behalf. I don't mind my share of tax going to brave people like that.

Andy
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC
That's the least they could do for all the troopers everywhere protecting us, especially the lads on the front.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 03:57 AM UTC
haha!
Well The nice europe you live in made tremdus progress since the inquisition when it forced the witches on trial to pay for their own imprisonment, torture, and execution

Frank :-)
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was under the impression that the US military didn't pay tax whilst on active service. Sure that's what good old radio 4 said this morning.

It is about time that the government did something for our troops. Rightly or wrongly they are out there risking their lives on our behalf. I don't mind my share of tax going to brave people like that.

Andy

Andy

I got out of active service 10 years ago At that time,if a military member was in a "combat zone",they didn't pay any income tax I don't know how it is nowdays
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Andy

Andy

I got out of active service 10 years ago At that time,if a military member was in a "combat zone",they didn't pay any income tax I don't know how it is nowdays

I hope it is the same - maybe one of our US Squaddie members could inform us - just to keep informed.

Andy
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Andy

Andy

I hope it is the same - maybe one of our US Squaddie members could inform us - just to keep informed.

Andy
mikeli125
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Really good news for the forces! After reading the articles concerning the extremely poor pay of the average private, less than £3 an hour, when their workday of 12+ hours is taken into account, almost half the national minimum wage.

Unfortunately knowing the ever-overcomplicated methods employed by the bureaucrats, it’s a safe bet this is going to cause even more problems for the squadies when they get back home. Whatever happened to the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach?

They only got it duew to pressure being put on the Goverment about this over the past few months. Only the other week Brown said that yes they can have it but the money will have to come from the MoD and not the treasury and now Blair has come out and said whatever kit they want they can have only for Des Brown Sos for defence try and back pedal out of it last night on newsnight. The goverment has suddenly realised that the forces are sick to the back teeth of them and I suspect this is a snide way of trying to win a few votes now that they are behind the tory party in the polls.............Anyone who disagrees with me should have a look at the public forces sites such as ARRSE were the contemp for tony blair and co are shown. It's got them rattled in their ivoery towers as suddenly they have realsied how many votes they could lose from forces personnel and their families/freinds

rant mode over
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Andy

Andy

Andy

It has changed after Desert Storm, but during that operation, many soldiers actually took a pay cut when serving in combat. Yes, I mean they made less money in combat than they did during peacetime service.

A US servicemember's total monthly salary consists of several taxable "pay" and non-taxable "allowances". Anything called "pay" is taxable and "allowances" are non-taxable. These normally include "base pay" (your monthly salary based on rank/grade and years of service), a food allowance (called Separate Rations for enlisted and Basic Allowance for Subsistance for officers), and a housing allowance (which you do not get if you occupy barracks or government family quarters). The housing allowance was designed to cover 80% of your rent if you lived off post.

There are other taxable and non-taxable payments for special skills, hazardous duties, sea duties, flight/jump pay, etc. that I won't get into.

During Desert Storm, an enlisted servicemembers' entire pay and allowances were tax free while in a combat zone. Only an officer's first $500 of pay was tax free, the rest of his monthly pay was taxable. All servicemembers received combat pay (taxable money) of $110 per month.

Because the servicemembers were now being fed by the USA/USN/USAF/USMC in the field during combat, the tax free food allowance was halted. During Desert Storm, this amounted to about $130 a month for an officer and a couple hundred dollars a month for an enlisted (enlisted food allowance is always higher than an officer's food allowance). The amount saved in taxes for an enlisted member was probably equal to the amount of money he lost in food allowances.

An officer lost the $130 tax free food allowance but added the $110 taxable combat pay to his salary. The $500 tax free threshold saved about $10-15 a month in tax. So the net loss to an officer serving in a combat zone was about $5-10 a month. Imagine that, paying for the privilege of serving in combat.

Today, the rules were changed so the food allowances were not stopped and an officer's tax-free threshold was raised to the highest enlisted pay level (equal to a Sergeant Major).
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 03:06 AM UTC
Is it just me or does that ruling suck!!!

Glad they've sorted it a bit better now. No way should front line troops - or anyone in a designated combat zone have to pay tax on there earnings.

Andy
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 01:58 PM UTC
About bloody time,when I found out how much a squadie gets I was furious I detest this goverment and everything it stands for,I used to work in the city of London and when I think of how much a clerk or a secretary can earn it makes my blood boil.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 02:06 AM UTC
Squaddies won't be any better off. The Government will make sure of that.

I love ARRSE!
mikeli125
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
Yup I was right seems Gordy boy's told them the money will have to come from the defence budget 2 type 45's will have to wait/be cancelled along with a few others....shame on the government stealing from the troops that they sent to war they can always find money to award themselves pay rises bonus's etc utter lowlifes every one of them