Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Get M-1 Garands from the CMP
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:20 AM UTC
My uncle just recently purchased an M-1 Garand from the CMP for around $500! Our best reaserch leads us to believe that it ( his serial # was used during the invasion of Italy). For all you U.S. citizens it is easy to purchase these historic weapons fron the CMP for varying prices as long as you belong to a club. I would encourage all of you to own a part of history and check the CMP out. It is really a historic venture to fire a rifle that was used during the war! Just my $.02!
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 7,084 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC
Hello Hellbent11,
I bought a beautiful M1 Carbine, but without the folding stock, that's for later. Here in Europe we buy M1 Garand rifles for about 650 euro. Are you a collector too ? Greetz from Guy, a WW2 US relics collector from Belgium (you know...Bastogne !)
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:24 AM UTC
I bought mine at a gun dealer since at the time I wasn't in a club and there is some thing to be said for being able to handle your purchase vs buying sight unseen. I collect military weapons or military style firearms as well. Though I have sold some to buy better ones. I've also sold models both built and inbuilt to fiance gun buys.

Tom
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hey Guy and Thomas! Good to see other weapons collectors here. I do collect a bit but not much no $ while I'm in school. I mainly act as a broker for my uncle in aquiring his collection. He's got mostly Winchester Garands and Carbines. He's a big Winchester nut is why he likes to go that way. I was able to snag him a pretty nice Rock-ola Carbine that I wanted so bad.

My holy grail would be a really nice International Harvester Garand just because I enjoy old farm machinery and tractors.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC
CMP Garands are one of the best gun buys around. Have been for years. I have a Springfield Garand I got from them a few years ago and it is one of the best shooters I have. The receiver dates to 1954. It pretty much a mix of parts, but it's the one gun in the collection that I would never part with.

Eligibility requirements aren't that tough. Citizenship, club member and proof of firearms familiarity is about it. Here's a link to their requirements page: CMP

They are also a good source for some fine 30.06 ammo. Their Lake City surplus is some of the finest around.

Finally, here are a couple of pics of my M1 as well as one of a sweet little Inland Carbine I got a while back.

TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 08:06 PM UTC
Unfortunately my state has an assult rifle ban and I can't get a carbine. I have a mini-14 and 30 but can't have an M1 Carbine. Go figure. I love my Garand as well. Ever see an FN49 also a great gun.

Tom
Removed by original poster on 11/02/06 - 22:14:05 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/02/06 - 22:15:33 (GMT).
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
Here's a link to the CMP.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 915 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 04:58 PM UTC
Bought an M1 garand $700 Ausie with 200 rounds in clips and sold for $1000 LESS AMMO back to the
Federal government on the gun buy back scheme in the 90's

No thanks to the wacko loser that killed the 30 or so people in Tasmania which led to the buy back.

I served in the Australian Army firing SLR 7.62mm ammo in the late 80's
The M1 garand had about the same kick but I would feel a lot happier
shootin at a target at 30 metres with a Garand than a SLR

Hell of a weapon

I'm now regretting I sold it !!!

Michael
thehannaman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 279 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was able to snag him a pretty nice Rock-ola Carbine that I wanted so bad.

The Rock-ola is my Holy Grail! Did his have musical note crest on the top of the receiver?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:08 AM UTC
Just out of curiousity...what club do you have to belong too. $500 is a wonderful price, I am surprised that Garands are still reasonablly priced. I bought an m1911 45 cal pistol 25 years ago and it cost $225 back then.
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just out of curiousity...what club do you have to belong too. $500 is a wonderful price, I am surprised that Garands are still reasonablly priced. I bought an m1911 45 cal pistol 25 years ago and it cost $225 back then.

You have to be a member of any CMP sanctioned club. If there isn't one in your area, you can join the Garand Collector's Association http://www.thegca.org/ (GCA) to fulfill the club membership requirements. The GCA will then send proof of membership to the CMP.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:57 PM UTC
Here Goes!

Steve, David is right the GCA is a great outfit and for the $ you also recieve a magazine that let's you in on the intricacies of collecting the Garand and related items.

Thomas, That is just stupid! I would consider a mini 14 or 30 to be much more of a threat than a .30 carbine? I've heard N.J. can be tough on stuff like that!

Justen, No note but all original parts appropriate for the time period. I gave $550 cash for gun, 3 original mags in good shape with stock pouch and sling and oiler. I don't think the guy knew what he had.
I did see one WITH a note and the guy knew what he had and wanted $4000! The note ones are up in that range around here but not quite that much!

ALSO! If you want one ORDER ASAP! the supply is drying up and there is currently about a six month wait!

SGT_SHULTZ
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:04 AM UTC
Just bought my first Garand on Mon. and I'm gonna pick her up tommorrow. It's a SA #2678XXX, which dates it at '44. I am so stoked about this. Kinda like the feeling one gets before opening a Dragon Model box.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:26 PM UTC
have one also.

I paid Top Dollar for it about 3 years ago.

thinking of mounting it on a Wall.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 05:40 PM UTC
Jeff, Sounds like a cool idea to have it on the wall. Are you using a rack or something like the brass pegs? It would be nice if one of these collecters groups offered a really neat wall display.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff, Sounds like a cool idea to have it on the wall. Are you using a rack or something like the brass pegs? It would be nice if one of these collecters groups offered a really neat wall display.

Think I will make my own Wall display.

Here is Idea cut a long piece Red Oak to about 2 inches longer and about 2 Inches Wider rout, drill, sand apply Clear finish and get some brass hooks cover them and screw to wall apply plugs a done deal.

Pics I think are easier then following what I just wrote.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 06:01 PM UTC
I PUT MY ORDER IN LAST WEEK!!!! I just sent my order off to the CMP for a Field grade Springfield Armory M-1. I can't wait!!! Just a hair over $500 with shipping can't be beat. The CMP just got a large shipment of rifles from the Army and have to process them, so I have to wait 60-120 days! I will keep you updated and post pics when I get the rifle. Pray for speedy service!!!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 08:50 PM UTC
here are two pics of mine ,don't live in the same place no more.

So with that here they are.

hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 02:46 PM UTC
I hope mine looks as good as yours! Is it a sweet shooter?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:39 PM UTC
Never put a bullet thru it for what I paid for it don't want to all original as far as I know and paid a bunch so no rounds barrel looks pretty good.
I did buy some Talon ammo for it besides some lake city Brass tried one 30/06 in my modern rifle and the Case cracked lucky had a modern rifle I guess the brass was to hard from to many reloads not mine but theirs.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2007 - 06:56 PM UTC
IT'S IN THE MAIL!!!!! Just got the e-mail from the CMP! My Garand should be here today! I will post pics, etc. soon!
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC
It came today! I ended up with a Springfield Armory circa Korea. Crummy wood but nice metal. It goes to show you how gambling with the CMP goes. I'd rather have good metal though 'cause good wood is cheaper than refinishing metal! I'll post some pics soon!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It came today! I ended up with a Springfield Armory circa Korea. Crummy wood but nice metal. It goes to show you how gambling with the CMP goes. I'd rather have good metal though 'cause good wood is cheaper than refinishing metal! I'll post some pics soon!

Can't wait to see it.