Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Get M-1 Garands from the CMP
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
Congrats Hellbent11. If you're going to be shooting it, try and get some the 30.06 from the CMP. It's great ammo.

I was just offered to buy an M1D that a friend had bought from CMP in 1996 for $650. It's still in the original bag and box it came in with all of the paperwork. It also included the scope. Hell it even has the grease rod that they stick in the barrel. Perfect metal and wood. And at $3500 it was a steal, but unfortunately a little too much for me at this time. Hopefully he'll still have in after the first of the year when I'm a little better off financially.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 07:03 PM UTC
Sorry for the delay guys. I'll get the pics up later today!
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 231 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hi guys, just thought I'd add a little note on CMP's. You get what you pay for.... if you want a real collector piece, stay away from them and save up to get just that. If you want a decent shooter, by all means, buy the CMP gun. Having had 5 garands, of which two were CMP's and one is a national match. The CMP guns are a mishmash of serviceable parts put together to make decent shooters. You will rarely find one with all WW2 date parts. It took me 3 years and many trades of mausers, walthers and lugers to get my W2 garand, but it was worth the wait. I obtained mine directly from a vet who smuggled his home. I was skeptical at first, but a fellow collector verified every serial and part number for me as being W2. With a collection of mainly W2 firearms, it is imperitave to know what you are looking for.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 03:15 PM UTC
here goes

markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 04:06 PM UTC
Very cool rifle you have
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:11 AM UTC
Sweet deal you got their Hellbent.
I like the look and finish and of cause the Break free is great also.
Are you going to shoot it?
I spent like a couple of Hundred on Park stuff and the lady I was living with stole my Stainless tank to do it in.
Well you know the name I would use for her and she earned it.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hey guys... Sorry for all that mess it's been crazy here lately! As PZKFWMK6 mentioned, they are certainly not cherry and are not "correct" which is 100% matching serial #'s and correct for the time period. On the other hand if you want something that you would actually take to the range and shoot or take to the woods for deer, these are it. They are just a great gun for shooting. I have taken it out to my buddies place and I can hit clay pigeons set against the riverbank at 75 yards in the sitting position without much effort. Also JEFF----What an eye you have! Break-Free it is! (Same with all my guns) Oh----and a side note I took the gun to Cabela's Gun Library to see what they valued it at and was offered $750 which is already $250 more than I paid for it.