TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Flags of our Fathers
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
I've been seeing this one advertised lately. Anyone know anything about it? Is this going to be an Iwo Jima movie or is it going to have an emphasis on the guys who lifted the flag on Suabachi with a minimal amount of action Iwo Jima?
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 07:28 AM UTC
It's based on the book of the same name which centers around the men who raised the flag on Mt. Surabachi, but from what I've heard the movie is going to be largly about the battle for Iwo Jima from the American point of view and what the men who were the flag raisers in the famous pic went through. It is due out on October 20. Sometime shortly after it's release there will be a second movie released on the same subject but from the Japanese point of view. If you're interested check out:

http://www.flagsofourfathers.com/

Mike
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 06:10 PM UTC
The book was maybe 40% battle and 60% the story of the men, three of whom dies in the battle, who raised the flag. Their stories before and the effect on the survivors after the war. It was written by the son of the last flag raiser to die.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 11:59 PM UTC
I cannot wait to see this movie. Finally, a modernized, and hopefully epic record of Marines in the Pacific. Way, way, way overdue.
EMT5911
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:00 AM UTC
Just got back from seeing it. Very well done, action scenes are great and it shows how the 3 survivors were exploited. I must say this though....It is no Private Ryan. But worth the 10 bucks, I will also probably go and see it again. If I was any of you would read the book first so you have a general idea of what the story is actually about.

Z.
Removed by original poster on 10/25/06 - 06:43:34 (GMT).
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 04:42 AM UTC
I thought the movie was well made. If the organizer of the war bond tour was right, I didn't know how close to broke the US was by 1945. I guess the country exploited everyone they could to win the war. I thought the point made of Bradley doing his job in difficult circumstances is what made him a "hero". While the battle scenes were done in flashbacks they told the story of the six men who raised the flag and the aftermath. I will probably see it again.
brian
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
Finally saw the movie now that I got back home from overseas. I must admit I liked it! Not a great war movie but a very good one. Well done with a minimum of Hollywood stupidity thrown in.

This movie does a great job of telling a story and honoring those involved without being overly sentimental. In some aspects, I thought it was much more realistic than Saving Private Ryan. The story was a bit tough to follow at times - due to multiple characters, flashbacks, flashforwards, and a screenplay that could have used a bit more work - but it moved at a good pace. Even the scenes that took place back in the US were interesting and there were no overly long segments.

Hope this movie, and Clint Eastwood, get the recognition it deserves.

Steve
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 06:08 AM UTC
I thought the movie was well done. Not sure of the war bond drive hype- America is so broke that if you into combat brings some rocks - cause that's all we have aspect. This is one aspect I plan on doing some research on, I know that some major projects were cancelled - fleet carriers, battleships etc., but I was under the impression that this was based on the end of the war coming and the need for more not required.

The 3 guys who did their jobs were elevated to super hero status - yet after the war none of them could use or did use that status. Gagon ended up a janitor, Hayes - died of exposure, and Bradley became the owner of a funeral home.

The movie did a good of showing what a piece of hell Iwo Jima was. The casualities of that one 40 day fight huge and sobering.

Now Eastwood is releasing the flip side of Iwo Jima - from the Japanese point of view - can't wait.