_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade: Vendors
Users can post info on vendor sales and specials here.
Questions about our shop?
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hello, I am an owner of CNE Models (see ad to right). I just have a few questions for all you modelers

We have been an online shop for about 2 years now. We try and offer new kits and do so at a very reasonable price. We try and focus our inventory on armor, aircraft and accessories. We mainly deal in 1/35 armor and 1/48th-1/32 scale aircraft. Our online inventory looks fairly limited but in fact we can get just about anything. We ship very fast.

My question is this, we are not doing any business. Is there something that all of you out there can suggest that we need to change? Is there something that would make someone as a buyer look more favorably on our site? In 2 years we have made 3 sales online. I would very much like to keep the business open. We do go to several shows in the central and central south USA. We enjoy the business side of it and enjoy talking to other modelers.

Anyway, if there is anything that all of you can suggest, we will try and implement it into our store. We are open to suggestions right now!

Any help appreciated

Cory Sutton
CNE Models
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
Hi Cory,
from what I can see your prices look reasonable enough, although the site itself is vary 'staid'. I know it's difficult to maintain functionality and look visually exciting, but I think that, and the limited range is where the problem lies. Some on-line retailers offer thousands of lines, and people will naturally gravitate towards where they are more likely to find the item they want quickly, and will then tend to shop there in future.

Vinnie
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi Cory. First I'd like to commend you for sticking with the site. Only 3 sales in two years would be kind of hard to take for me. (Well make that 4 since I bought something I had been looking for.)

As for the site itself, it's pretty plain. I think instead of listing mfgs. links on the front page, you'd be better off showing off some of your stock. These links overshadow the rest of the page to the point that when I went there, I had a hard time finding your product buttons. Make the buttons bigger, different color, line them up down the side, etc. But right now they just blend in with the top bar.

Another feature I like to see on a vendor site is a search button. It just makes shopping a little easier. And finally, instant email notification when a purchase is made saves the buyer from having to copy and print and then hang onto a sales receipt. Again, just something to make purchasing experience a little easier.

Good luck!
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,816 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi Cory.

I took a look at your website and the site itself is pretty good. The site is very functional and the ease of navigation is top notch as well. Those are two HUGE pet peeves of mine.

Also, your prices are very competitive too, so that isn't the problem IMHO.

The two "problems" I see with CNE are

1) A Very small product listing and
2) Lack of advertising/knowledge of the existance of CNE.

To be totally honest, I'd never heard about your shop before. You could definitely do well by yourself to promote CNE; asking about it on Armorama is a definite positive move. Maybe offer "specials" to Armorama visitors or something to get people to come and take a look. I don't think you have to spend big bucks (if any) to get your name out "there".

Of course this is all just my $0.02 worth, so please take it with that being said.

Good luck.
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hey guys thanks for the fast responses. Yes I understand about "getting the name out there". We finally put an add here on Armorama about two months ago and it has really increased our site visits. That has been great, just no one buying. We are looking into getting a search button up and running, it just takes more money. Our product line is almost all incompassing, we are just having a hard time getting everything on the site. I'll have to look at the products button and see if that can be changed to make it easier to see.

Again thanks for the comments, we will do what we can to make shopping with us better for everyone. Keep the comments coming if you have any.

Cory Sutton
CNE Models
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:35 AM UTC
Do you go to shows? Do you meet people? Lots of web-based shops are finding this useful.

I think this goes a long way to building relationships. The people I order from online I have met and talked with ... even BBQed and drank a few beers with some of them. Make sure you have cards with your web address and phone number on them.

A good website might be nice for some, but I still want to know the human being behind it all. (Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!)

We have lots of shows here on the Great Plains -- buy a table or two at a show and let us get to know you. KC, Wichita, St. Louis, OK City and Tulsa, Little Rock, Austin, Dallas, even as far north as Omaha and Des Moines ... lots of shows out there. Maybe next year?
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you go to shows? Do you meet people? Lots of web-based shops are finding this useful.

Oh yes we go to several shows a year. Both owners have other full time jobs but we manage to get to about 7-10 shows a year. We are based in central Oklahoma so we try and go to the shows that are in the area; Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, so on and so on. We hand out business cards and talk to just about anyone who wants to talk to us. Both of us are modelers as well so we do have some knowledge about the hobby side of it. We even were handing out coupons for 10% off our online prices at the last several shows thinking maybe people would use the coupons and buy from the site, no go. Handed out over 100 coupons, none were cashed in. I hand out several business cards at each show. There are even two card holders on the tables that lots of people take cards from.

We really enjoy going to the shows because its fun to talk to others with the same interests. Its fun to hear what they are wanting to do, share any ideas or techniques we might have and learn from others that have something to share. Right now the show circuit is the only thing keeping us open and thats even a stretch.

Cory Sutton
CNE Models
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 09:21 AM UTC
I know this thread has been dead a few months, so I hope Cory will still see it!

Anyway, I had a look at your site and I can see that many great ideas have been posted but it seem the site has not changed any at all. The first rule in business is listen to your customer and provide what they want as they are your life blood, your money.

1. The site is ok at best, too many clicks to can to a section and limited information about the product. Too many sections that are not needed,
2. No add-ons accessories listed with the selected items. Case in point if I look at a model I'd like to know what PE, detail kits, custom tracks, or figures go with it. I don't want to dig around or e-mail for that info I want to see it right then and add it to the basket. Inpulsive shopping if you will. Have money will spend it.
3. Limited product selection, you can have 10 million product in your store, if they are not online then you'd might as well not have them. Again I see it, I like it, I buy it. If you don't show it I assume you don't have it and I look somewhere else.
4. Plain site, it's little boring be honest. No reveiws, few images and frankly in looks it little to plain for my comfort. A plain site seems amaturish, like a operation ran out of a garage or a basement. Makes you feel less secure in doing business with them.
5. Takes money to make money, if you want to increase traffic and more importantly increase sales then you are going to have to increase investments in a website and advertising. You get what you pay for in this world, sad to say and the ONLY way to increase online sale is to totally redo, re-vamp and your online site and list every product you have, make them QUICK and EASY to find. Tie products togethers, the model, the PE kit that goes with it, the convertion kit, the figures, etc etc.
6. Online discount or coupon, you can have a 10% off on your business card and that does the people here online no good at all. You could use a promotion code of say ARMORAMA and get 10% off you purchase. Or something.

I'm sure you've seen Great Model Webstore, they have a good working site with lots and lots of product and easy to find add-ons, wishlist, reveiws, more photos etc. They IMHO are the bar in US models sales and up there in international sales. They've invested tons of $$$ in their site and I've spent tons of $$$ with them just as many here at the Big A have.

I buy most everything ... everything online, but I want to buy it quick, I don't want to dig for it or ask if you've got it, if it's there and I need it, want it I buy it. I do not assume you have it or can get it, if it's not listed, the web is to big and some one else has it ready to ship and that is where I go.

I hope I didn't sound to crass, I'm sure I did, but if you want a honest answer I gave you one. What you do with that information is up to you.

Good Luck,
Dave
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:35 AM UTC
Dave's post is a little blunt, but I agree with the bottom line. You guys at CNE seem to have some of the right ideas (prices are good, shipping is quite reasonable), but the selection is very thin and the site is a bit hard to navigate. I also noticed that your ad here in Armorama is gone (it may just not be in the rotation right now, I don't know). In short, your site, and your company, has promise, but you need to strive a little more to fulfill it.

Seeing the prices, I think I may order one or two kits soon. Best of luck.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:51 AM UTC
Hi Cory,

I think advertising is your flaw. I know when I started in business, I had to advertise like mad to get people to find me. That and I offered great service and prices (like you). In fact, I honestly didnt make spit the first two years I was open. Now, however, 16 years later, I dont advertise at all. My customer base is so large, I cant even handle many new customers. You also should either promote or have someone promote your web site to get it into first pages of most search engines. This can be difficult and sometimes cost a few bucks, but it will help people find your site. Also, I have never seen your site banner on here, and I have been coming here for over 3 years now. Perhaps you may want to consider creating and marketing your own original items. If you have an item no one sells, and distribute some review samples, people here will read the review and when they want your item, they will come find you. At which point, they would realize you sell other items as well. If you need help promoting the web site or want feedback, let me know. my wife is a web master and Im sure (with some chocolate and prodding) I could get her to help you out. Well, thats my .02. Good luck with sale #4! Ok, bad joke. I'll stop by next time I need something and give you an order.

Gary

PS - have you considered selling things on Ebay? Or perhaps getting an Ebay store for a few months so people will find you? They only cost like $15 a month and a few cents for items you list. I sell lots of stuff on Ebay.

Edit: Ok, I checked out your web site. You know near the bottom of the home page where you have all the lninks to the manufacturers web sites? You need to change that., I clicked the Trumpeter icon, and wound up at Trumpeters web site and couldnt understand why I couldnt place an order. InternetHobbies.com is set up like that, but when you click the links your still inside their store. You want to promote your site, not the manufacturers. If you want, make a links page and put the real links there. Those look like they are links to YOUR products and not to the manufacturers web site. You have to re-title that to something like "Brands we Carry" and make your products button at the top bigger. I am 100% sure that is having some impact on your site. PS - when you get the trumpeter Stryker in, drop me a PM, and you'll make yourself a sale.
mstcls
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hi Cory

Here is some more input about your site I hope it helps. After looking at your site I must agree with most of the above comments concerning your over all page layout, prices, shipping and so forth. As with any business you have to have what the people want. In your first post you stated that you attended 7 to 10 shows a year. Have you thought about getting those unique show/swap meet finds posted on your site, the things that the big sites just don’t have. I can find a 1/48 scale Hasegawa F-4 Phantom anywhere but a 1/35 scale M-65 “Atomic Annie” nuclear field artillery piece is another story. If I know you have stuff like that I would visit your site on a regular basis. I know I can find things like that on eBay all the time I just don’t care for placing a bid and having to wait a week to see if I have won. Now don’t get me wrong the whole eBay thing is great, but if I can buy it now I will. I hope this gives you something to think about and good luck in the future.
 _GOTOTOP