TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
PC Game Company of Heroes
Ego
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 01:18 PM UTC
Anyone played Company of Heroes, is it worth buying

http://www.companyofheroesgame.com
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 09:58 PM UTC
My friend says it is stunning but very graphics intensive.

Jeff
HAL0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC
I played the Multiplayer Beta and loved it, so when the day it was released I went and picked it up. Its fun but not very realilistic but in my opinion one of the best Real time strategy games made. Havn't played much online but seems like I get disconnected quite a bit. Could be my isp or connection havn't really looked into the problem. Heres a Review of the Game From Gamespy.com
Have any more questions I'll try to answer them for ya but Im sure I havn't got experience in the full game yet...been playing mostly the allied side.

AJ
Wish I wasn't addicted to video games then Id spend all my free time Modeling
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:29 PM UTC
Ego,

I moved the topic to the Games forum. You may get more feedback/replies over here.

Cheers,

Shaun
Ego
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 - 02:39 PM UTC
I got the game and I really like it but its pretty hard. I've had about 5 skirmish games against the computer and haven't won yet.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 04:40 AM UTC
I too have this game. Thus far I have only played it against the computer and here are my observations in no particular order:

1. Computer is kicking my butt in single player. Apparently I am not a very good military tactician. Then again, it takes time to build up a good size force before attaching the enemy hiding in hedgerow country. By then I am usually overrun. :-)

2. This game is really tough on my PC. Although I have a decent computer (3GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM, 256 MB Video card) it chokes quite often.

3. Game load times are excruciatingly long. I can boil an egg in the time it takes for this thing to load up

4. Population limits are driving me nuts but I understand that they add realism

5. AI is kind of buggy. I have lost many units because they were spinning around in one place instead of going where they were told.

6. I like various weapons available. Off-screen artillery support is quite useful. It has gotten me out of trouble on a couple of occasions.

7. I wish that units could be told to go prong and sneak up instead of going prong only when they are pinned down.

All-in-all I like this game and would recommend it.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:58 PM UTC
I have and finished the game (without cheating or the hint book), and also played online.

In terms of accuracy, it's not 100% accurate, of course (being a game), but it does show how the Germans and Allies fought (Germans fought with skill; Allies used superior numbers).

In terms of PC performance, CoH does have some chugging problems, but I found the game to be pretty bug-free until the last mission which crashed on me a few times. CoH suffers like any other PC RTS...the PC builds and manages a lot faster than the human player. Online plays well, but that also depends on PC horsepower and firewall issues.

The AI is quite good, challenging...

I somewhat believe that the game cheats...it's another one of those micromanaging games, only here you capture locations instead of harvesting resources. There's almost never enough troops and tanks built IMO for you to use.

A nice feature of CoH is that your troops can capture any leftover equipment on the battlefield. GIs can use MG42s, Pak guns, Panzerfausts, Panzerschrecks, etc...the same goes for Germans capturing and using BARs, Bazookas, .30 cal MGs, etc. The only other game that has this feature is the new modern "Joint Task Force," which I haven't seen reviews on yet.

The CoH graphics are awesome. One can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel for "Birds-eye mode" all the way down to "worm-eye mode." You can see GIs loading shells, faces, battle damage, insignias, smoke, waves, bullets pining off dirt, etc. in close-up mode, but 99% of the time you'll be playing in the overhead view like any other RTS game.

The game got 96% on PC Gamer, quite a high rating and praise. The replay value's pretty good with no two battles being the same. Also, CoH seems to be the start of a series. The game ended with the closing of the Flaise (sp) Pocket. I envision CoH will go to Op. Market Garden, Battle of the Bulge, and finally Berlin in CoH sequels.

If you want a WW2 FPS, there's "Call of Duty 3" and I believe another "Brother in Arms" coming soon.

I had fun in this game. I do recommend it as one of the few PC games to buy in 2006.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 07:00 AM UTC
Its a fun game.. I've been playing it on the kids computer every now and then (he has the better grafix's card)... I'm on the single player campaign now up to taking out the Launch site.

This is a RTS with history... and attitude..
Ego
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 07:16 AM UTC
I'm getting into it a bit more now and finally won a skirmish battle on the second 2 player map. I can't beat the pc on the first skirmish map. You barely get enough troops to attack and defend so its pretty challenging moving them around. This is a nice change from other RTS games I've played where you can build up huge defences and wear down the other side.

Its also very slow on my pc so I'm going to upgrade my crap vid card after work. The 7900GS is looking pretty good bang for buck
Ego
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 02:23 PM UTC
Well I picked up the 7900GS and got home all excited about playing this game in high res goodness so I install the card and boot up and windows loads and this message pops up saying your computers power supply aint got enough grunt to run this here new vid card. Gotta love technology
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 05:24 PM UTC
Great game, but believe it or not, I spent an additional 300 to upgrade my graphic card (gotten a powercolor x1900GT). I would say it's a value for money!

Back to the game, don't know why it just keep crashing (to windows), added the game patch, still the same, still wondering what's wrong.

Anyone got any experience, pls sound out.

Thought my pc is quite decent...
P4 2GHz
1G Ram, and of course the new graphic card.

Cheers!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
The first time I've played it (demo), I got hooked. Though not very accurate on the realism side, it's still the best out there. Try it!