TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Peter Jackson Is Remaking Dam Busters
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 06:16 PM UTC
OK I'm probably the last human being on the planet to find this out but I just read that Peter Jackson of Lord of the Ring & King Kong fame has been singed up to do a remake of the Dam Busters story, yahoo!

I don't know about you guys but I think this is great news, especially given that Jackson has buckets of money to play with, a keen interest in military history and is a nut for detail in his movies. I can't wait for this one to be released, although it will be interesting to see how they handle Wing Co Gibson's dog (a black lab named nigger) who was killed and his name was used a code word for the successful breaching of the Möhne dam. It will be interesting to see how this is handled today.

I also read that this was a project that Mel Gibson had the rights to and was going to both direct and star in. Thank your appropriate deity that this didn't occur, although you've got to admit it would be pretty funny seeing Mel Gibson piloting a Lancaster plastered out of his brain, yelling obscenities and anti Semitic remarks at the Germans as he flew over them :-) :-) :-)
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
Ha...Mel probably have rewrote history and had the bombs miss the damn and the Germans winning the war.

Type with tongue firmly planted in thy cheek BTW.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 06:02 AM UTC
I admit that I'm also very excited about this development. Peter Jackson has a fine reputation for detail and accuracy. I just hope the don't dumb down the story for today's "attention deficit" generation, or rely too much on CGI and special effects. I've always thought that the reason older films seem better is that they rely on the story rather than the effects.
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:44 AM UTC
Michael I think they'll have to rely pretty heavily on the CGI for the aircraft scenes as there aren't a heck of a lot of Lancasters and Mosquitos (for the test flights) around these days.
Still given Jackson's minute attention to detail I don't think this will turn into Pearl Harbour over the Ruhr.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael I think they'll have to rely pretty heavily on the CGI for the aircraft scenes as there aren't a heck of a lot of Lancasters and Mosquitos (for the test flights) around these days.

Actually it has already been reported that WETA workshop created a life size replica of the Lancaster and have already started filming scenes even before the cast have been chosen. In terms of the set, it is in its finishing touches....a scaled model of the dam is being built just as Helms Deep and all other large structures in LOTR.

I might take a trip down to Wellington one of these days and see if i can visit the set and take some photos.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 07:21 AM UTC
I realize that they will have to use some form of CGI for today's version of the movie. What I meant was that the oder movies, ie: The African Queen et al, seem to me to rely more on acting and story telling than other factors. What today's movies lack, in my opinion are the top notch actors and scripts that yesterday's movies were forced to rely on. This has resulted in an entire generation of movies that rely on the special effects rather than the acting. I would venture that the trend started with the first Star Wars, and then really took off in the 80s as CGI became more widespread.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
There is a full size original Lancaster at the MOTAT Museum in Auckland, New Zealand. Whilst not air worthy and not a Dambuster its in good condition stored in the museum hangar and lovingly looked after.

No doubt Weta Studios have and will be visiting it. This was probably a contributing factor to taking on the job.

Regards

Sean
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 05:04 AM UTC
Take a look back at the Empire State Building scene in King Kong. Watch as the aircraft fly in on their target. Watch the wheels...they're slowly turning in the slipstream. If Jackson was a careful to that tiny detail, you can bet he's going to get the Lancasters right.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 05:59 AM UTC
I just remembered. The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum has a functional Lancaster available. We also have plenty of real estate that is similar to Germany.

Link: http://www.warplane.com/index.html
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC

I took this at RAF Fairford this year. It's one of only two still flying in the world, the other being the Canadian one (I think)

They said after this year the paintscheme was changing, I wonder if that's so it could be used in the film. I know it's not a Dambuster version but could be used from some angles.
Either that or it's just a coincidence :-)

Vic
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC
The paint scheme on the BBMF is changed every few years to depict various "celebrity" Lancs,and this is scheduled well in advance.
You are correct in thinking that there are only 2 airworthy Lancs in the world,,the BBMF one and the Canadian Lanc.
The Panton brothers at East Lirkby in the UK have a Lanc,,NX611 Just Jane,which had been restored to taxi condition,and has done high speed tail wheel up taxis for TV and films.
Personally,,I cant wait to see it,,although Im a bit wary of how it will turn out.I think as a film in its own right it will be spectacular but there are bound to be the purists who feel that the old one will always be better.
Maybe it is,,maybe it isnt,,Im just glad that a subject like this is being covered in a "new" film.
As for the dogs name/codeword for the Mohne Dam breach,,,well,,,lets just say dont get me started on my thoughts about that!!!!!!!
Nige