_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What advice would you give...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 05:53 AM UTC
What advice would you give a friend who want interested in modeling who has never modeled before?

I would offer to not expect too much right away. Don't expect medal winning projects the first few models. Grow with every project.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 05:56 AM UTC
I would say start with a small jeep or truck, or even some tank kits. Something very basic and simple. That way he can see if he really enjoys it. Some people are interested, but never truly enjoy it due to personality or tastes (ie. my one friend only enjoyed painting and weathering, never really the build).

Start simple, dont expect too much, and dont worry about paint or weathering too much. Just look at how it goes together, and how much you enjoy it. If you finish a simple one, and want to jump right into another, you have become one of us lol :-)

EDIT: Substitue planes, helicopters, figures, or ships if you arent one of the ground guys of course.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC
I agree. I usually recommend the older Tamiya kits for beginners, only to have a chorus of know-it-alls scream in unison, "that kit is a piece of junk, you want the Dragon Panzer Ausf. XYZ, it is the best one around."

Yes, we all know the latest ultimate Dragon panzer is the best, but not a good kit for a beginner or returnee.

I have given several older kits to neighborhood teenagers (friends of my 16 yr old), who want to get into military modeling but do not have reasonable access to good armor models.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 07:42 AM UTC
Good point Robin - the older kits regardless of brand are good starters and when you do start - don't worry about the comments about 'garbage kits' or not accurate with the xyz make from the second production run of the wiggit. Built it to gain experience and enjoy the process.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 07:47 AM UTC
Scott,

Might also consider a Trump KV-1, fairly easy to put together and wont break the bank either.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:04 AM UTC
A few basic pointers would be a good idea. I would also recommend a few basic tools.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 04:30 PM UTC
What advice would i give?

Definitely to not be afraid to make the mistakes. As everyone has mentioned, get a cheap / old kit. Try the techniques people write about up here, find out which technique they are most comfortable with.

In the end, this hobby stays alive because of motivation, which comes from results which can only be achieved by learning from their mistakes.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 07:12 PM UTC
As someone who rejoined the hobby a couple of years back after a 20 year absence:

I'll echo starting out on simpler kits. I'd also provide him with a list of basic tools and materials: hobby knife, sprue cutters, cutting mat, liquid glue, etc etc.

On top of it all, emphasis that the hobby should be fun! Curtail the urge to build like those at the top of their game and enjoy your time building, painting, weathering and let your skills evolve. We each have enough pressure in our lives than to make our hobby just as pressure-filled.

- Frank
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
To a new modeller I can only echo my experience over the last year since rejoining the hobby after a 20+ year break.
Start off with cheaper kits,look on Ebay and see what catches your eye at a bargain price. Use these to develop the basic skills until you feel your ready to try one of the more expensive kits. ( I built about 5 Airfix kits before I moved onto a Tamiya model).
Dont be afraid to make mistakes, try a learn something new with every build, and build whatever takes your eye.
Most importantly,,remember its a hobby and is meant to be enjoyed.At the end of the day you are building for yourself,and its what YOU think of your finished models that really matters.
Dont be afraid to get stuck into the forums and ask ask ask,no matter how basic or dumb a question might seem,,the answer is to be found on this website.
And dont forget to set your homepage to the "Big A"
Nige
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Might also consider a Trump KV-1, fairly easy to put together and wont break the bank either.

Nope, as the site's official ' Trumpeter KVs' cheerleader, i'd echo Robin's comments. Something like the Tamiya PzII - nice, simple form, and very much 'shake 'n bake' or even the Tamiya Horch. Whatever, Tamiya...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:20 AM UTC
My advice would be to simply remember it's a hobby and to have fun and enjoy it. Improvemnt comes with time and practice. When it stops being fun and enjoyable, it's time for another hobby.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 02:46 AM UTC
My advice? Very simple.

Walk before you run and have fun every step of the way.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 07:59 AM UTC
I might suggest 1/48...I'm on my second one now{addictive lil suckers}...easy assembly, nice detail for the size, doesn't take up much work table space when all spread out, still easy to paint, and good practice for small parts assembly...and not alot of parts to assemble to start with.
...now, when's that KVII due out?...
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC
I would say to him that if he is a person without patience, he better forget about modelling.
HerrGray
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
entire network: 185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:17 PM UTC
I would say find out exactly the things they are intersted in.... planes, tanks, or ships.....

find out which particular kits and start small 1/72 - 1/76 -1/700 and get them kits from any manufature that you know are easy to build, all the older Tayamia stuff..... not most accurate but easy builds and they look good when done. Revell/ Monogram are good for aircraft.... Revell does some good small scale armor.... ships, the Fijimi 1/700 scale line of ships are a good start..... or again Revell....

Help them pick out a good basic paint set..... show them where to find the thinner in the hardware store..... find them a good basic brush set...
and most of all be avalable to answer questions or help with fiddely assemblys.....

This is how I got my step-son into building model kits.....

Gray
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:47 PM UTC
Start simple
Don't be affraid to make mistakes
Don't be affraid to ask questions
Don't be affraid to drool over other people's work :-)
 _GOTOTOP