_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
bending grab handles
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi what is the best way to bend grab handles to get them all the same. Any jig that can be made or something like that.
Thanks
DerFeind
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 08:46 AM UTC
First you need "soft wire", I use the strands out of some phone line. You do, well I do, need to make a jig. like 2 inches long and rectangular with an opening in the center roughly .300 wide and the length of the jig. then you need a second jig that will fit inside the opening in the first jig (roughly .200). then you take the wire and bend it into multiple "S's" and lay it on the second jig and press the first down onto it, bending the wire. Then just trim the connecting ends off and you'll have multiple grab handles.

If the written example is to hard to figure out write me, I'll make an example and e-mail it to you in a picture.

[email protected]
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:25 AM UTC
Like the actor John Housman used to say, I do it "the old fashioned way". I simply take a pair of bending pliers (look like needle-nose pliers, only the jaws are completely rounded) insert a piece of proper diameter brass wire, slide it to the appropriate part of the jaws and slowly hand bend them to look like the ones supplied in the kit. Since I hand bend all my hand rails and such, I have a little more experience doing it I guess. I never really have any trouble.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:26 AM UTC
Oops, almost forgot. Welcome to Armorama.com DerFeind. Believe me, you've found a great bunch o' lads! :-)
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:47 AM UTC
I use jewelry making wire (which I "borrow" from my wife) and bend them using the "eyeball method". OK....I've only ever made one, but it worked that time.
Chuck
DerFeind
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the "welcome" Tread, I like the site so I got me a new home on the web!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Like the actor John Housman used to say, I do it "the old fashioned way". I simply take a pair of bending pliers (look like needle-nose pliers, only the jaws are completely rounded) insert a piece of proper diameter brass wire, slide it to the appropriate part of the jaws and slowly hand bend them to look like the ones supplied in the kit. Since I hand bend all my hand rails and such, I have a little more experience doing it I guess. I never really have any trouble.

Tread.

Ditto Tread - I do the same thing too. Have done so forever it seems. The best "jig" is also the simplest.

Gunnie
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi what is the best way to bend grab handles to get them all the same. Any jig that can be made or something like that.
Thanks

Here's just a few jigs that may help, on the site of Micro-link. I suggest you order their free catalog online. Even if no products interest you, it may lead you to some other ideas !

wire bender
wire loop pliers

And if you don't want to spend money on special jigs, there's plenty you can do with a few nails and a piece of wood :

See more of this on : http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fwge2272/18t3.htm. Good opportunity to brush up on your Japanese !

Have fun !

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 01:01 AM UTC
... and welcome to the site. Beware though. The itch to start bending wire is an important indication of an infection woth scratchbuild-itis ! Check with our MD - or keep returning to this site !

Jan
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 03:13 AM UTC
I think Gunnie is a long suffering patient of that disease....scratchbuild-itis is contagious!

Tread
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Gunnie is a long suffering patient of that disease....scratchbuild-itis is contagious!

Tread

Aye laddie - and a major sickness it is!

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC
I use a pair of needle-nosed pliers. They have a nice taper to them that I use for the varying widths of the handles. If I need to make more than one, I place a small mark on the pliers of the needed width. Simply place the wire in the needle nose to the desired spot, squeeze the pliers, and bend both over-hanging parts of said wire. Cut to desired length.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 05:17 AM UTC
I'm with you guys, I use a pair of needlenose pliers and guesstimate on the bend radius and keep doing it until it's right. Practice makes perfect I guess.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 06:44 AM UTC
As the Government teaches you, the Officer's always right!

Tread.

Hey Jim! Is there a way I can reduce my font size in the Post Script so I can slip in those 'under-the-breath' remarks? hehe.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 08:22 AM UTC
Thanks guys I think I will try both to see which is faster I need to do a lot and I will order that catalog General.
latter guys and good modeling
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tread.

Hey Jim! Is there a way I can reduce my font size in the Post Script so I can slip in those 'under-the-breath' remarks? hehe.

No worry Tread...that's how all you say is taken...LOL

Just kidding.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 08:48 AM UTC
Hi!
Just my two cents!
I do like General failure said, jigs helps a lot bending handles to a proper and same size...
Cheers!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Tread.

No worry Tread...that's how all you say is taken...LOL

Just kidding.

Hey Kenc', I'm sure you've seen the film 'Saving Private Ryan' right? Remember the interaction between the platoon members?......."Love you too Kenc'....'smootch'.."

Tread
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
Great tips guys! I just got the courage to try replacing the molded on tie downs with wire and the results were simply stunning. I used thin copper wire from a toy DC motor I found somewhere. I used jewelry-making needle-nose pliers as a jig to make their sizes more or less the same.

I've got a query though: How do you attach the wire to the model? I've tried drilling a few holes with the tip of my Exacto but I can't go in too deep since I'll have problems filling the hole later on. Butt jointing is not that strong too.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:58 PM UTC
Jeepney

I would think that CA glue would b e used to glue the handles on.. As for mounting them, a pin vise and a drill about the same size as the wire that is being used...

Dave
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 03:58 PM UTC
I have been using the long nose plier method but to save time I made a batch of handles using a home made jig.

Its nothing fancy, I found a Yale type key which had a suitably sized 'square' groove. I filed a bit of sheet ali to a suitable thickness, screwed the key to a bit of wood so it was easy to hold in the vise, and then just layed the wire across the key and pressed the piece of ali onto it.

I fit by drilling with a small drill that is smaller than the wire and then ream the hole to size with an offcut of the same wire the tie downs are made from. Once the tie down is slid in the holes to the correct depth a blob of CA will keep it there.

Also, I find that by cutting the 'legs' to different lengths it is easy to drill the first hole, place the long leg in the hole and mark the postion of the second leg.

Regards Dave
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 05:21 PM UTC
Will try them out Dave and Dave
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, I find that by cutting the 'legs' to different lengths it is easy to drill the first hole, place the long leg in the hole and mark the postion of the second leg.

Thast almost the same as my method ... only I only drill one hole and dont worry too much about the second.
Cut one end to its proper length.. and the longer one, drop into its hole. The proper length of the otherside, makes sure that the grab handle will be at the right height and i have no problems with trying to make sure that both ends fit exactly to locating holes.
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 10:04 AM UTC
Just an off comment from the peanut gallery here...re: Drilling holes for the handles to fit into. I chuck a piece of the same wire into my Dremel tool and use that drill the hole. This has the benefit of being cheap, quick, and I don't have to worry about breaking a tiny drill bit.
 _GOTOTOP