Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
I am so unbelievably mad at myself...
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:30 AM UTC
...for being a complete idiot. Just take a look below and you will see the end result of my truck meeting a concrete wall.

I have nobody to blame but myself. I was driving out of an underground parking garage in the building where I work and apparently misjudged the turning radius. Yep, I cut a corner a bit too short and scraped it with the side of my 5-month old truck. I swear my heart stopped when I heard that screeching, metal-against-wall grinding noise. I nearly started to cry

It is bad enough if someone else hits your car but to do it to your own vehicle...crap!

Not sure what I am going to do now. It's not like I can go to the police and tell them that I was involved in a hit and run. Unless I am the one that hit an ran.

One things is for sure...I've got to get it fixed. It is probably going to cost me big $$$ too. Just what I don't need...another expense.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 06:34 AM UTC
My wife did something similar about 3 weeks after we bought our new 2006 Honda Odessy in May. Backed into a parked, old beat up truck and tore up the side about the same as yours. It was almost $1000 in damages, but we had a $300 deductible.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:13 AM UTC
okay... il make you happy!

LAst week i was speeding in a small wet curb... smalled the breaks before to slow down( VERY stupid... i dont need to be reminded!) Nailed hte side walk, nearly hit a lampadere ( damn lucky!) so the wheel jammed completly against the inside, totalt crooked... we managed to save a lot of money by not calling hte tow truck( happened near my house) and my dad trpaired it... cost 900 dollars... woulda cost a lot more if the garage would've done it! probably 2000...

and a guy i know at school trashed his car.... 9000 in repars lol...

AHH! the joys of being young, fearless... and stupid!

Life goes on, we must learn!

Frank
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:25 AM UTC
Tough luck Marty. There is nothing more sickening than that screeching metal sound. Hopefully you have a low deductable, although it's still an unforseen expense.

Patrick
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:40 AM UTC
My deductible is $500. I will have to wait and see what the auto body shop gives me for an estimate.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 08:13 AM UTC
Tough luck Marty,
I guess it will cut into your spending money for AMPS.

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 09:07 AM UTC
Hmmm, I think I've got ya beat bunky;
1st car, 70' Pontiac catalina wagon...4 accidents my 1st year driving...black labeled from state farm{till 7 years later}
2nd car, 80' Dodge aspen{ex police car}, was trying to pull over and hide from a marked squad that saw me using my spot light{slightly illegal if your not an actual police officer}...pulled behind a large group of bushes to hide and lightly hit the rear bumper of an unmarked squad sitting there running radar...there was alot of laughing involved but not on my end...and they all knew my mother's boyfriend the state police officer{now my step dad}.
Afew years and cars later, my 74' vega with a 260 alum V-8 stuffed in it...did hole shot to show off in front of my friends on cruise night...grabbing 2nd gear and lost pulley, pulley hit fan, fan cored radiator, smoke blocked my vision, and the light pole stopped the car{how convient...dead open parking lot after that pole}the "car" had issues anyway!
Afew decades later and thrre years ago in this house after just moving in, was backing out of the garage when wife pipes up and says your too close hun...1/10 of a second later I'm scraping the rear quarter and rear door of my 95' towncar against the garage door frame.
Two months ago, said 95' linc{old faithful} and I are heading to work 5:30am and see the guy backing out of his driveway and see the brake lights come on by the sidewalk and think to myself "he'll stop"..he did, after T-boning me and moving my car at a 30 degree angle.
$4500.00 repair check from Allstate, $1500.00 for trade in and two weeks ago got my 99' Grand voyager{shoulda gotten a van years ago}...no news to report as of "yet"........

There was a 96' Sebring involved, but the flood of 96' put water up to the radio of my 5 month old new car then...so it was really mother nature to blame there...or wrong place/ wrong time.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:48 AM UTC
Been there done that Marty. Pulled out in front of someone with my month old truck a couple years ago. Snapped the wheel right off and did and some serious damage. I too was nearly in tears.
Many insurance companies won't require a report for an accident on private property. Some police agencies won't even take them on private property. I know it's painful, but just be glad you won't be out any more than your deductible, and you aren't hurt. It could have been much worse...good luck to you.
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 164 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 01:47 PM UTC
Marty
Had one of our guys drive a forklift into the side of one of the planes. And if that wasn't bad enough; backed it up into the flap. Double ouch..... The damage was in the tens of thousands of dollars. But being it was one of the supervisors, he probably got a promotion.
Jerry
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:47 PM UTC
Wow, that's too bad. One paint chip the size pea in the front of my 2005 Colorado is going to cost about $500 to repair. A high deductable is good though.

Shaun
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:47 PM UTC
One of my guys in an fully automated trash truck didn't pull the arm in all the way and proceeded turn into a residential street.
Took out the driver's sides of two parked cars, one a new (then) 2004 Mercedes. Another a cherry Porche. (not so cherry any longer )
Opened them up like a can opener.

Hope you have a better day today,
Charles
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
You could try some plasticard and Milliput. Use liquid glue to smooth the join between the two.

Oh, hang on....

That truck...

It's not 1/35, is it? #:-)

Sean
(PS: Bad luck mate - I've done this often enough myself to know how you feel )
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:14 AM UTC
Bummer. Get an estimate. NOw, before you submit it to your insurance, consider the deductable and points on your insurance with the attendant surcharge. You may come out ahead paying out of pocket.
I had a similar incident with my Acura when I backed into a light pole base.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 05:00 AM UTC
UPDATE: Got three estimates today. They were all right around the $600 mark. Could be worse I guess. I will be dropping my truck off in a couple of weeks and should have it back in 2-3 days. Since my deductible is $500 there really is no point in getting my insurance involved.

Now I just need to figure out how I am going to get to work once my truck goes in for the "cosmetic surgery". I guess I'll have to rent something. Hmm...how about a Lexus? :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I'll have to rent something. Hmm...how about a Lexus? :-)

Hertz is renting out Mustang Shelby GT 500 from Logan.
mightymouse
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 104 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 05:56 AM UTC
Does the body shop not provide a courtesy car while your car is being repaired? After someone hit my parked car in a parking lot (it was just 6 months new!) I was provided with a free loaner car from the auto shop (but I did get insurance to cover the costs above my $500 deductible seeing as it was technically a "hit and run" as I was getting coffee at the time!
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does the body shop not provide a courtesy car while your car is being repaired?

Nope. I think that if I were going through my insurance they would probably pay for my rental.

Quoted Text

Hertz is renting out Mustang Shelby GT 500 from Logan

Nice ride Al. Unfortunately I will be renting a compact. I think it will be a Dodge Neon or something like that.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 01:57 AM UTC
I can't quote your regions prices, but here and two months ago I had to rent a 07' buick from enterprise{my towncar got T-boned}...I had rental car coverage but only $20 a day{..now upped to $30!} and had to pay the difference myself. That 07' buick lacross costs $26 a day here...cheapest they rent out was the dodge neon @ $21 and then up to a ford focus next for $23. The repair shop had rentals too @ $25 a day, but allstate likes to work with enterprise. Hopefully when allstate gets done with the guy who hit me I'll get my money back...I'm not going to hold my breath though! My $100 dect was waived by allstate.
My wife used to work for allstate, so can I toss this at you...if/when you ever drop down to a, say, $250 deduct, it was only a $30 every 6 months to drop all the way down to $0/$100. In my town of only 130k{and that's the known/legal ones} one needs good insurance{2nd largest city in Illinois...after chicago}. Fender benders are very frequent...Also, does your company have "accident forgiveness"...I know allstate and state farm does...
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC
Bob, Allstate doesn't do business in Massachusetts and there's no forgiveness here, either. You're at fault, you pay deductible and surcharge. The only way out is if you are shown to have not been at fault, such as when I was rear ended a couple years ago. His insurance paid for my rental, I had no deductable and no points or surcharge. If you are hit and run or vandalized, you pay the deductable but are not further victimized with a surcharge. You also get points and surcharge for anything other than a parking ticket.