_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How to clean my models
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC
Over the years, my models have considerable dust and cobwebs in my workshop, whats the safest way to clean them?, I fear just plain water may not get them back into shape
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 03:29 AM UTC
I use a large stiff bristled brush and a little air from a can or the compressor. I wipe with the brush and blow the resulting particles off. Don't use hard bursts of air, this will blast the small parts off the model. Use gentle puffs. And do it regularly, every three months or so.

Rob
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 04:09 AM UTC
Ditto - light compressed air. I use a soft brush, but same technique. I sometimes use a qtip with some water - Only on sealed kits.
On the dioramas I only used compressed air on the natural grasses and stuff
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
I've seen some small vacuums in the micro mark catalog. you might check out some of the small vacums used for cleaning out your computer.

Josh Aka shiryon
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
Ive tried this with the airbrush, not having any paint in of course, and it it blew away what little dust there was! The models are not so old so I believe Rtwpsom2 had the right idea and do it regularily and the dust is easy to remove!
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 03:55 PM UTC
Yup, the cans of compressed air to clean computer keyboards and such work great. I augment with a large, round, soft brush I found in an art supply store. Looks almost like a feather-duster (not as big, of course), but the combination works wonders.
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 05:59 PM UTC
Never done it myself but I hear a dishwasher set on pot scrub works really well on that scale dirt you've built up......LOL just kidding.......Kids DO NOT try this at home!!!!
A soft brush and a few puffs from my airbrush usually works....never let them build up that long though.....so.....GOOD LUCK!!!
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:36 PM UTC
For dusting my models I use a large, soft brush (actually its a cheap make-up brush I found in a local super-market, for APPLYING! powder) #:-)
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
I guess I was not real clear..I mean they are really dirty....Even plain water and a qtip will not remove the dirt & grime..Im going to need asome kind of soap and water..Any suggestions?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
I use a vacuum cleaner which can be used on pc keyboards. Very useful. Just don't use it on a diorama and lotsa loose parts (like leaves and vines on the turret).
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:11 AM UTC
I use an airbrush, but sometimes it's not enough. In these case I followed a tip I found here on Armorama: i wash them with warm water and a soft big round paintbrush and the results are quite satisfactory...
Ciao

flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 10:51 PM UTC
I agree with the big soft make-up brush...the wifes old one...well it is after she had to buy a new one after I borrowed it..... and soft air puffs from a compressor, can or lung.
But if you say it's really "that" dirty, you might try a test on a part that won't hurt too much with a Q-tip dipped in warm water with a drop, only a drop, of dish washing liquid like Fairey.
If it works you can do more...but watch the decals if the kits are un-sealed.
Good luck.
Peter
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:17 AM UTC
When needed I use the airbrush and then a soft brush. I donīt have this problem because I store my models in acrylic cases. I found that this is the only way to protect your kit securly not only against dust.
redaye
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 123 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 03:52 PM UTC
I use the small vacuum/blower that's listed with micro-mark. it's not too strong so you may also want to use an old paint brush as well
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 05:11 PM UTC
I hate to admit this, but I have let my models go for over a year without dusting them. By that time they are not just dusty,but caked in grime. I used a warm water and dish soap solution with a large soft brush to scrub them Rinsed them in warm water and blotted with them dry with paper towels. Just be careful of the small bits. Some of these models have been around since 1970.

I guess one of these days, I'm gonna have to build an enclosed cabinet for them!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:02 AM UTC
The ideal tool for this work is to use a womens very soft make up brush which is very very soft and will not hurt or break anything on the model and also has many hair on and will take much stuff at a time . Compined you use small amounts of low pressure air to help getting the dust off. And then cover thecleaned kit with a plastic toys box or something like this .
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:17 PM UTC
i just dunk mine in water, been doing it for years and no side effects.
 _GOTOTOP