_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
REVIEW
Sanders and Polishers
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
Merlin has added a review of some sanding and polishing tools.

Check out the new options from Master Casters.

Review is here

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 02:20 AM UTC
Scott, would these happen to be able to remove an accident such as maybe glue getting where it should not be? Like maybe right in the middle of a panel that is very visible and scratches from regular sanding methods would show up

Dont ask :-)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi Mark

Just to answer you for Scott. Yes - the lighter grade sanders and the polishers here would be ideal for restoring the surface as you describe.

But the one thing you have to absolutely certain of when dealing with any spills or excess solvent-based adhesive is that it's totally dry before you begin work. Because it softens the styrene, you'll cause more damage still if you attempt to sand too soon. How long is long enough to wait? I'd give it at least a week or two to dry if it's a bad spill - the longer the better, if you've got the patience. Placing the parts somewhere warm (not hot!) can help speed the drying.

I hope this helps

Rowan
smithery
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
I could not agree with you more on your review Merlin. I purchased a set of Jay's sanding sticks about a month or so ago, and they are as you might say "the dog's bollocks".

To answer a concern of yours, yes, the foam sticks can be cut to shape and made into finer sanding sticks. You'll need a heavy duty knife to get through the thick plastic center though.....it's pretty robust.

For anyone who may doubt that these sticks are amazing, a member of another forum (not me) took a completely gnarled canopy and restored it to perfect clarity using nothing more than Jay's product.

A link for you to go through, complete with numerous pictures.

Click Me

All of my cheap sanding sticks have been thrown away since I got my hands on Jay's, and I for one, will not be going back to the older tools. They are now obsolete IMHO.

markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan, may just have to give them a try. I know if I hit this panel with a regular sanding stick I will have alot more of a mess to contend with later.

Mark
 _GOTOTOP