_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Future Polish & Mineral Spirits
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 04:38 PM UTC
Hello,

I am about to start using Future Floor Polish on my models. I just want to know what type of thinning medium does one use for it. Also, what are mineral spirits? Is it the same as Gum Spirits of Turpentine used on artist's oil paint?

Would appreciate any help from all of you experts out there.

Thanks,

Fairfax
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:51 PM UTC
I use Future on my models....and you shouldn't have to thin it with anything....however if you have an older bottle like me....as the stuff lasts forever.....it could start to thicken up....I would just put your future in your airbrush bottle add a few drops of whatever you thin acrylic paints with as Future is acrylic base....mix and spray.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hi Fairfax,
Welcome to the best site on the web. Take a look at my post on "Future Floor Polish and.... "
I'm certainly no expert, but it will give you another angle on the Future thing. :-)
Mal
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, what are mineral spirits? Is it the same as Gum Spirits of Turpentine used on artist's oil paint?

Mineral spirits (aka white spirits or "paint thinnner") are distilled from petroleum (oil and/or coal tar). The clear stuff sold in cans for thinning paint, finishing furniture, etc., is usually a benzine or naphtha based product. It's a by-product of making gasoline.

Turpentine is distilled from the resins produced in pine trees. Gum turentine is specifically made for artists and has some petroleum substances added to it. Many turps have an amber tint. Apparently, U.S. and European turps are slightly differnt in chemical composition because they come from different kinds of pine trees. This may explain why many European painters prefer to use turps. I don't know.

I prefer using mineral spiritis for thinning paint, cleaning brushes, etc., because it is so cheap. Turp based products seem to slow paint-drying time and I really don't like the smell.

Both of these products are extremely flamable and should only be used with ventilation.

BTW, don't try thinning Future or any other acrylic with mineral spirits or turpentine. Not compatible!
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 03:34 AM UTC
Can a wash of mineral spirits and enamel ( or oil paint) be used safely on Future if the Future has cured for a few days or a week?

Peter
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can a wash of mineral spirits and enamel ( or oil paint) be used safely on Future if the Future has cured for a few days or a week?

Peter

I do not think that I would even try that. I know that Future reacts bad to Solvaset and would shudder to think what would happen to a mineral spirits wash.
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 04:25 AM UTC
interesting-
what then to use as a thinner for a wash over Future? I know turpetine is out- it is even stronger than mineral spirits. I also don't see how Turpenoid is used as a thinner it is too thick a liquid..

Peter
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:22 AM UTC
Automotive Reducer is out as well.....I have like a gallon can here that I use to clean brushes, and thin my enamel paints for airbrushing.....but it is murder when used in a wash over future.....ate thru the future, and 3 layers of Tamiya paint....and stopped at the enamel primer coat......

So what is best to use to thin washes? I used a mixture of dish soap, water and acrylic paint....seemed to come out OK....mind you its the first time I have done a wash on anything......so not really sure if it looks like it is supposed to or not!!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC
I don't use Future a lot, but I do use it occasionally for spot application of decals. I've never had a reaction between oil/mineral spirit washes and Future -- just make sure it has had a few days to cure.

If you want to try something new and not risk you model, try it on a piece of scrap or on a part of the model that will not be easily seen when finished.
sweatydogz
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 11:20 AM UTC
Where excactly can you get future polish in England ?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 01:34 AM UTC
I believe that in Europe it is marketed as "Johnson Klear" -- hope this helps!
Removed by original poster on 01/28/10 - 16:04:23 (GMT).
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 242 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi Mário!!

Johnsons waxes don't have anything to do with Future!
I also tryed those acrilic waxes but with a poor result!!!!!

I managed to get a bottle of Future during my recent trip to the US and now I can say that there's nothing similar in our Portuguese market!

Skipper

PS: Um bom Ano Novo!!
Removed by original poster on 01/28/10 - 16:03:43 (GMT).
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:08 AM UTC
Future and washes, filters etc.

I use artist oils in turpenoid for washes and filters with no negative interactions over a future base. I usually let the future dry overnight before i apply a wash.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 07:29 AM UTC
Skipper and I are going to be going into the Future importing business for our Portugaese (did I spell that right) members
:-) :-) :-) :-)
We're going to call it- Grumpy Secert Formular...... sell it for an out-ragious price for a one ounce bottle...... and then commute across the pond for breaskfast..... :-) :-) :-) :-)

Now don't laugh....... there was an internet hobby site (whom will remained un-named by me) that was doing exactly that, packing Future in one once bottles, and sending them over seas for a rather tidy profit........ seems it was Ok to mail a one once bottle, but you could not mail a pint or quart.

Rui..... it was a total pleasure meeting you, and next time LUNCH or DINNER is on me...... there really are great resturantes in Newark......
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
I've mailed a bottle...once... it actually made it to the Phillipines in 1 piece too....... I put it in like 6 ziplock baggies....... and a ton of peanuts in the box.......

I went throught the whole "MSDS" thing too..... seems (for the most part) that's it's safe to ship....... and not Specifficly banned by the USPS (although higher qty's of it's main chemicals is) Go figure!!!
Triple_M
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rui..... it was a total pleasure meeting you, and next time LUNCH or DINNER is on me...... there really are great resturantes in Newark......

So, Dave... I can see you appreciate the taste of the wonderful portuguese food!
Glad to hear that
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:10 AM UTC
Johnsons Klear is available from most of the major supermarkets in the UK, I got my bottle from Tesco's.

HTH
Pete
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:24 AM UTC
I use to work in Newark..... and ate Portuguese food quite often. Now Rui, will be more than happy to tell you that I speak no Portuguese, (couldn't even pronouce his name properly) so back in those days, I simply selected by the old pointing method, or lucked out with an English speaking waiter. But being almost as round as I am tall.... well, I really do like food......... :-) :-) :-) :-)
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:59 AM UTC
Welll,I know this might buck the current trend of wash applications but here goes.
IF you have used a primer AND your base coat,camo colors are done with enamels,you don't need to gloss coat before applying washes wether enamel based or oil.You do need a minimum of 72 hours of dry time from your last shot of enamel before EACH wash application of enamel and 96 hours for oil washes.This gives each application 'cure' and 'bite' time before the next one goes on.
If you use acrylics for base and camo colors you might want to hose it down with gloss enamel or laquer and remove all doubt about protection from wash applications.Like Bob,I use future for waterslide decal base and overcoat of same and I have never had a problem.
Cheers
Rick
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 242 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Skipper and I are going to be going into the Future importing business for our Portugaese (did I spell that right) members
:-) :-) :-) :-)
We're going to call it- Grumpy Secert Formular...... sell it for an out-ragious price for a one ounce bottle...... and then commute across the pond for breaskfast..... :-) :-) :-) :-)

Now don't laugh....... there was an internet hobby site (whom will remained un-named by me) that was doing exactly that, packing Future in one once bottles, and sending them over seas for a rather tidy profit........ seems it was Ok to mail a one once bottle, but you could not mail a pint or quart.

Hi Dave!!

Portuguese
This is the correct writing!!!

Perhaps we should think about making a join venture and import Future Floor Polish to this side of the Atlantic! At least here in Portugal, there are NOT any of the similar products that England, France or the Nederlands have.... So perhaps we have a good oportunity to get Rich!!!

Very Rich!!!!

Regarding the our meeting, I liked it a lot!!!
You are a Great Friend and I was very glad we met!!!
Perhaps next time Jeff and John can came too and then we can have a Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner Meeting and have some more modeling related (eating is one of them!!!)

Rui - aka Skipper - for the one's with RRRRR's pronociation problems )
 _GOTOTOP