_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Source of fine wire...?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 893 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 09:38 AM UTC
Does anyone know of a source of fine wire...? I am thinking super thin a la the wire supplied with Tamiya's Char B kit.

Thanks!

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hey John, not sure what thickness your after but I get my source of fine wire from old electronics devices. Something like and old headset, split open the wire coating, inside you’ll find a group of fine wires. You can also look inside a broken CD played, phone or just about anything. Hope this helps some.

Joe
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:55 AM UTC
Try your local hardware store. Florist wire is good. Telephone wire is good. Speaker wire is good. ... Depends in how small you want to get/
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 14,499 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 12:44 PM UTC
Hi Johnny,

As joe says you can use old electrical wire, fuse wire is very useful and you can buy little packets of lead wire, so there is pleanty of choice once you know the thickness you want.

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 12:50 PM UTC
hi Johnny and all,
i didn't see what kind of wire is used in the B1 kit, but i find sometimes the small electric wire quite hard to bend in place when modelling an engine or something, then i fell on this:
http://www.accurate-armour.com/
click on 'products' then on 'diorama products' then on 'Chain, Wire, Hose, Cable' and here you have some very fine solder (certainly more "bendable" stuff) approximately 0.4mm (0.016") in diameter they say.
it could be what you're searching for!
jb
camogirl
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,045 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 01:22 PM UTC
I tend to use fuse wire that can be got from D.I.Y shops there are normally several different sizes on them going from fairly thick to very thin.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 03:51 PM UTC
All good suggestions - here's another - guitar strings. If you need a good stiff style.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 04:20 PM UTC
I get my fine wire from old electrical cords, old burnt out step down transformers from work, etc. The finest wire I have I got from an old AM/FM transistor radio (remember them?) I picked up at a flea market for a dollar. It had a large coil wrapped with wire thinner than my hair (when I had hair) and has turned into a life time supply, as it's about 10 years old now. (Not my hair, the wire!)
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 08:54 PM UTC
I too have not seen the wire included with the Char, but another source of fine wire is in the jewelry-making section of your local craft store. They sell very small wire on spools in varous colors. My guess is it may also come in different stiffness.
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 09:23 PM UTC
I use bead wire from Hobby Lobby. The smallest I have is 32 gauge which is very thin. Larger gauges are available. Michaels and AC Moore also carry bead wire.
little-cars
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hi,

I stock loads of different pre-coloured enameled copper wire.
Currently from 0.1mm to 0.5mm in various colours, plus several others in 0.7-1mm.

They have been featured in many aircraft modelling magazine reviews.
SAMI, MAI, SMI....

As the colour is enameled onto the wire, it doesn't shed when bent and as it's copper, it's very easy to bend into the shape you want.

Paul
www.little-cars.com
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:26 AM UTC
Craft stores such as Michales and A.C. Moore are the way to go for various types and sizes of small wire on spools.. and the stuff is pretty cheap too.. Copper is pretty common and easy to find..

Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
The finest copper wire I've come across comes from the coil out of an old digital watch. Fine braided wire can be found in old mouse leads - strip off the outer jacket and you'll also have a scource of fine, colour coded wire. (Great for aircraft models as well )

Jeff W.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 1,083 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hey all,

This is a REALLY REALLY REALLY old thread that I'd found regarding a question about where to get really fine (thin) wire. I'd been looking for an answer to that same question, only 6 years later. While finding free wire is the best deal going, as this thread had discussed, I found a very cool source myself.

I just received several sizes for wire from http://www.jacobs-online.biz. I have nothing whatsoever to do with this company, but wanted to pass this on, in case anyone needs really thin stuff. I ordered some of THE thinnest wire I've ever seen, 40 gauge. I got 40, 36, 34 and 30 gauge, and they have all the in-between sizes. These are all about the thickness of a human hair, so if you need something THAT thin, this is the place! You can get as little as 10 feet of each gauge, for less than $3.00 each and free shipping, which was less than a week, and they take Paypal.

Just a heads up for anyone needing this kind of thing for your models!
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:51 AM UTC
The jewelry making section of any craft store.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 11:45 AM UTC
Check construction sites, especially after the phone guys have done their installation. The pile of garbage where the guys throw their odds and ends is an extremely useful mine for the model builder. Ask permission to pick up a little and I'm sure they won't give you any grief.

You can get wire of all sorts of gauges, screen, lead (not so much anymore but you never know) aluminium flashing and many more treasures.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 08:08 AM UTC
Try Radioshack, if you can locate one. They carry extremely fine wire for electronics.
 _GOTOTOP