_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Should I get a self-healing cutting matt?
Konstruktor
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hey guys I was wondering what are the advantages of having a self-healing cutting board? I just use a hard surface to cut ,etc but I notice that many modellers use them and I want to know what advantage they give. I always look at them when Im at the hobby shop,but ask myself "hmm,do I want to shell out 25 bucks for this?" Im willing to spend the money if it helps with construction. Thanks for your help K
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
They're quite simply the best surface to work on. The right 'hardness' etc. They also have a useful grid pattern which helps when trying to cut things square!
They can be quite expensive over here too, but then I found the 'Works', a chain of stationary shops in the UK. You'll probably have some equivalent chain over there? Normally the very large A2 sized ones are around £14, but in the 'Works' they are only £5, so it really pays to shop around.

Vinnie
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:55 PM UTC
Vinnie try Poundland they are selling a medium sized mat (cant remember the size at this moment) for you guessed a quid
Konstruktor
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:55 PM UTC
Thanks Teacher I will take your advice and get one,especially since I can use the grid to align parts when scratchbuilding..Why didnt I contemplate that when I was staring at the product? As always,you can count on this website for help Thanks again
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC
If you can find an art shop that supplies schools you should be able to find a cutting mat and lots of other model related stuff very cheaply
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 04:00 PM UTC
I wouldn't think of working without one.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 04:04 PM UTC
Hmmm....as a Teacher, I know for a fact that any Art shops that supply schools are extremely over-priced.

Vinnie
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 04:10 PM UTC
I have found them at one of those cheap import $2 shops, and they are of a lesser quality than your LHS version, but for a couple of bucks they are invaluable... A4 size. 220X300
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 10:51 PM UTC
They are nice, but after a few years of use they quit "healing." Plus, when you get paint or solvents on them, it messes them up. I like to use a peice of poster board or a sheet of tempered glass. You can throw the poster board away and replace it cheaply. Glass is always level and is impervious to almost all chemicals, but it will dull your knives quickly.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm....as a Teacher, I know for a fact that any Art shops that supply schools are extremely over-priced.

Vinnie

Surely not as overpriced as a model shop
I should have said that the place I shop is an art materials wholesaler and stuff is general 2/3rds the price I'd pay in a model shop.

The other thing about cutting mats is that they are kinder to your blade so it will last longer
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 02:29 AM UTC
I bought 2 of them here at an art supply shop. One for me and one for my wife for her scrapbooking. They were on sale and I got 2 for 12 bucks CDN.

Like others have said. They are pretty good but they havn't sloved my problem of no matter how clean my work area is when I begin, after a couple hours I still end up working in an area about the size of a postage stamp. :-)

Jeff
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 10:04 AM UTC
My suggestion is simple: get it no matter what it will cost you! They're great! (I feel like Tony the Tiger! :-) )
Konstruktor
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 05:50 PM UTC
Thanks for your responses!!
 _GOTOTOP