TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Pink floyd & jethro tull
rommel93
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:18 AM UTC
Is there any Pink floyd Jethro tull or roger waters fans. I can tell you Im a fan of em all
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 14,499 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hi Sabastian,

Both outstanding bands, I've been a fan since they first appeared on stage.

Magical music, what more can I say - Shine On.........

Cheers

Al
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 02:50 PM UTC
Indeed there are fans. Never got to see the Floyd, but have seen Tull in concert many times, and IA in concert solo and with Fairport Convention.

Do you have favourite tracks by either - just being nosey.

V sad to hear of Syd's death - but his legacy will be with us for ever.

Andy

rommel93
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 169 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 04:23 PM UTC
It is sad to hear of syd's death .
with J Tull or Floyd I dont have one favourite there all fav's
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fairport Convention

Saw this band in the winter of 1972. Then they pretty much faded from obscurity on this side of the pond. Would have been with my soon to be fiancee and now wife.
Time flies when you're having fun.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 05:45 PM UTC
Al

Fairport are still going strong, al be it with a slightly revised line up - and they are still worth listening to.

Check out Fairports Web Site they do still sometimes visit the States

Andy
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 06:32 PM UTC
Big Pink Floyd fan...
Favorite line
"One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces."

It's so out of the blue.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
I have the brick in the wall limited edition skate deck. it's on my bedroom wall. I just need to get the Misfits and AC/DC skate decks along with a pair of the Misfits skate shoes
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 01:20 AM UTC
Big fan of both bands. I never had the chance to see Pink Floyd, but did see Jethro Tull in the fall of 1971, and they were terriffic.

The band I'm in now does classic rock covers and one of our favorites is "Locomotive Breath". Heresy, I know, but we've replaced Ian Anderson's outstanding flute solo with a rippin' guitar lead.

Tom
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there any Pink floyd Jethro tull or roger waters fans. I can tell you Im a fan of em all

All of the above
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:21 PM UTC
Pink Floyd RULES!!! (When Roger Waters was still in the group that is)

Scott
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 276 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 05:30 AM UTC
SEEN THEM ALL ,WAS AT THE ISE OF WHYTE?IN,70. I THINK, TOO MUCH OF THE GOOD STUFF, STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 09:38 PM UTC
I too am a big fan of both bands...Pink's LP The Final Cut is great to model WW2 by. Saw Tull in early 72 or late 71 ...it was the Thick as a Brick tour. Was at side of stage taking pictures when this guy in a wetsuit tapped me on the shoulder and asked if i could retrieve his breather and help bring it forward...i asked "what are you going to do?" and he said " i have to get the telephone" Just then onstage, in the middle of a song , the phone rang (it was sitting on top of the piano, the third ring and this guy walks onstage and answers it. holding it up towards Anderson and sez..."It's your Fish!" Just then the band breaks into Aqualung. Man...what a moment and what a show.

Rock On,
KGlack
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I too am a big fan of both bands...Pink's LP The Final Cut is great to model WW2 by.

An anti-war album is great to build models by????
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 08:46 AM UTC
Yes it's a great LP for modeling...most all rock LP's that mention war ARE anti-war.

Name ONE that's pro war.

Rock...as in rock n roll...and not some country/redneck american flag waving to make a buck song.

Okay...there was that song titled "Cruise" on David Gilmour's solo LP. A love song to the cruise missle. I'll give you that one.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 02:42 AM UTC
Every punk album ever recorded.
Removed by original poster on 08/05/06 - 22:34:47 (GMT).
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 14,499 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 09:20 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Hmmmm, try some Little Feet or maybe some of the 'Boss' - music is about making a personal statment about how that individaual feels, at least most good and outstanding music is. It doesn't matter what genre the music is in: Jazz, Country and Western, Classical, Rock, Punk; what matters is how good the song is and what it means to you. Pop music if fine, if that rocks yoou boat - there are some great Pop songs.

I'm an old foggie by to days standards, but Hendrix, the Beatles and all the thousands of others both old and new still have meaning for me, it's what suits you mood and the moment of time.

No point in arguing about it - just enjoy it and 'rock on'. Music can open your mind, or close it. That decision is yours.

Just 'Climbing a Stairway to Heaven".......

Cheers

Al
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmmm.

Syd Barret wasn't all that in my eyes ( just my little opinion ) . he might have founded the band and idea, but is only on a few very early songs on one or two albums and most likely none that anyone even listens to ( unless they have any one of the EIGHT pre-Dark Side albums ) . as far as the Pink Floyd that most know, Syd had nothing to do with them other than being the topic maybe of a hit song ( Shine On You Crazy Diamond for instance ) but he never wrote any of the hits that we all know so well Syds stuff was strange, mostly instrumental acid trip influenced stuff. If all you know is Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Wish You Were Here etc. then its all David and Roger as a team and not one or the other. Im much more sad about that breakup than the loss of Syd, both Davids solo stuff and Rogers fall short in my eyes as does the " new " Floyd stuff ( although I do own all of it ). I would love to see them get back together

CDK

From a musical standpoint, a lot of Syd Barret's stuff was absolutely amazing, and he is well recognized for it in the music community. His influence on the band certainly continued long after his departure.

For the pop fans who just want to fast-foward to Money or Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2, we don't really give a crap. Those are the people The Wall was about.

PS

Roger and David were never a team. Most of the time they barely spoke to each other.

The Pro's and Cons of Hitchiking I thought was brilliant and is still an album I prefer to most Floyd records. I think it is hugely misunderstood though - too difficult for most to wrap their brain around. I once saw it in a magazine list of the 10 worst rock records of all time. The reviewer complained that Eric Clapton could barely be heard on the record when in fact some of the best guitar work the man has EVER done is all over that record. Sheesh.

Radio KAOS suffered from a really horrendous producer who tried to turn it into a pop record. Even Roger wasn't thrilled with the results but it's still better than anything Gilmour has done on his own.

Amused to Death is however, easily as good or better than ANYTHING Floyd ever did.

The post-Roger Floyd records have all been total and complete unlistenable garbage. A Momentary Lapse of Reason I picked up when it came out - my last purchase on vinyl (anyone remember that stuff). I listened to it once, put it back in its sleeve and gave it away to someone. Total crap. A record done by committee to sound sorta-like what some coke-snorting executive thought a Floyd record was supposed to sound like. Roger was kind when he called it a clever forgery. It's not even really a Floyd record. Gilmour is the only member to do any significant amount of playing on it and only contributed some of the writing. The rest was all session players and hired guns.

Sometimes I think its too bad that David has no interest in reforming Floyd with or without Roger (who apparently and surprisingly is interested), but then again, who knows what such a project would turn out like after 25 years apart.

kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
"When I hold you...in my arms, and I put my finger on your trigger, I know I can do no harm...because...Happiness is a warm gun"

thanks Alan...yer right...The Beatles

Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:29 PM UTC
Rats! A couple of weeks ago I just missed out on a bran' new DVD copy of Pink Floyd 'PULSE' - NZ rock radio station 'Radio Hauraki' wanted caller number 35...I was No 33.

Talk of Jethro Tull has me Living in the Past; Aqualung, War Child, Stand Up...
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:40 PM UTC

Pink Floyd "Animals", Tull's "Songs from the wood" and Roger Waters "Radio Kaos" are three of my favorite alb....uh....CDs..see I was going to say album...thus giving away my true age...no super secret squirrel agent ever gives away his age. "oh..behave baby!"
Sincerely,

Bond, James Bond