_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Best Reference Material
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 08:20 PM UTC
I know most people use more than 1 book or reference source for the model they are currently making however if it came down to naming 1 particular book or source what would you recommend for a particular project you are doing? ie armour.

Russ

dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:53 PM UTC
I hardly use books for reference anymore....since I found the internet.....but I guess it would depend on what piece of armour you were working on.......if it was say....a Sherman....the Honeycut book on Shermans is the bible.......I'm sure there are simular books for most models out there....just ask at your hobby store when you buy the lit if there is a book about it....most times there are.
moville
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:49 AM UTC
It depends on what you're going for...if you want to superdetail pick up the "Achtung Panzer" line of books, excellent drawings and walkaround photos...If you just want a brief summary on history and a lot of pic's, IMO you can't beat Squadron books value-wise. Some of the New Vanguard books are excellent, but not as many pics.

As far as these "bibles" are concerned, I picked up the $45 Jentz Panther book. While it is an excellent book, which covers just about everything you need to know operationally about the panther and had scale drawings. I was a little disappointed in the lack of close-ups or drawings of the little details. Also I felt it was a little lacking when it came to pictures.

I guess I'm more into visual references and not as much into the words... at least as far as building the actual model.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 01:03 AM UTC
Thats a hard one. I too use the internet ALOT for research on construction. I'm a diorama kinda guy so if I could only have ONE it would have to be Shep Paines How to Build Dioramas 2nd edition. It covers all aspects and has some killer photo references.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 01:37 AM UTC
I use books alot. But I use the net too #:-) . There are photos in books that aren't om the net. #:-) #:-) #:-) Call me oldfasioned but in some cases I prefer books. (They don't CRASH or get a Virus)

cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
For me, I have some 300 books/magazines. So you can see my preference.

I would recommend the Auchtung Panzer serries (if you are into German stuff), the Hunnicutt or Jentz books are great, but pricy. THere are some excellent photo books from Wydawinctwo on several items/theaters. These are great for some real photo's of the beasts in action.

Dave
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:34 AM UTC
As stated alot depends on what topic your building . but if I had to choose one thing I'd say my computer. For it truly knows few limits in finding that little tidbit I need.

Shiryon aka Josh WEingarten
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 03:57 PM UTC
It would be book's for me. You just don't get the same kind of info on the web.
... We also need to be careful of the book's and their author's. There are some author's, who in my opinion have a blatant disregard for authentic miliatry reference and photo's ..
.......... ( miscaptioned photo's and false or exaggerated text reference ).
You will find that some are out to just make a buck, so it's better to stick with the more reputable author's and also their publisher's. I look for book's that are by author's who really go over - under - and beyond to get their info and photo's. And I also have a tendency to find author's who get the account's from the soldier's who actually particapated in the war, fought the battles in tanks, on foot, in the air or on the sea. Or it being the soldier himself, who wrote the book. Also author's like Tom Jentz who are totally commited to armor preservation & have traveled the world for many years to do their research, literally climbing in & out of tanks and styudying data from mound's & mounds of military archives.When a book feature's theses kind of qualities, I have no whim's about paying some of their hefty the prices.
I JUST CAN"T USE ONE BOOK because I really like doing diorama's, and I use a wealth of book's ......and more book's ....... the internet ..... and personal sources to cross-reference my information from the very first book that I started with. Between - the specific unit's involved in the battle ....their uniforms ...... their armor ........the enviroment & landscape ....it all add's up to more than a few book's for that one model/diorama. And I like it this way. It keep's me occupied, I learn more about military history, and I'm definitely in no rush to complete my model's ............. " I finish, when I finish ". All the unbuilt models in the pile in my room aren't going to run off anywhere, and I most important is I know I have them there ................and when I'm not in my room building models ....I"M READING.

- ralph
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 06:31 PM UTC
I'm with you, Ralph. I enjoy researching a subject and often find inspiration for future projects on the way.

I also made a habit a long time ago of photo-copying stuff I thought I might be able to use in the future -- turns out I have many pages now out of out-of-print books. I also print reference off the internet that I know I will want, because so many sites end up expired, over-run, neglected or otherwise destroyed. Besides, I'm an old newspaper man and love to hold it in my hands ...
 _GOTOTOP