TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
A most unusual subject I admit
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 06:49 AM UTC
Having seen the movie "Shaun of the Dead" (a parody of the George A. Romero movies), I thought of a scenario where troops are fighting a zombie invasion. Assuming such an event actually happens, what does the military do? Do they wear protective suits, travel to trouble areas in tanks or APC's etc.?
esc71
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 222 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 07:39 AM UTC
If I remember correctly someone here has posted pics of a dio they had made about that very idea. I think it had Germans fighting Russian zombies in 1/72 scale. I could probably never find it again.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
We have a contingency plan for that. The plan has several courses of action based on what vulnerabilities the zombies have and the physical characteristics the zombies show.

For example, do the zombies have normal strength or do they appear to have increased strength? Are the zombies just walking around as undead zombies (like sleepwalkers) or are they attacking and hunting down the living? Do they appear to have a plan or some other motivation or is some basic undead instinct like hunger driving them? Is someone controlling them?

Are the zombies infecting the living and creating more zombies or are they just killing or eating the living? If new zombies are being created, what's the turn around time from initial contact/infection to when the person becomes a zombie themselves.

How can you stop the zombie? Is it as simple as just hacking off their legs with a chain saw? Do they require a gun shot to the brain or decapitation? Will flame throwers drive them off or destroy them?

Based on these and other variables not mentioned and early intel gathered from initial accounts, a course of action is taken.

I believe Mary (tankysgirl) did the zombie diorama.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I remember correctly someone here has posted pics of a dio they had made about that very idea. I think it had Germans fighting Russian zombies in 1/72 scale. I could probably never find it again.

That was Tankysgal .
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:54 AM UTC
Actually I wanted to base it on the original movie "Night of the Living Dead", which I haven't seen. That movie was meant to be a political commentary about the Vietnam War as well (it came out in 1968), and one art teacher I had told me that he was shown the movie when he was serving in Vietnam-right after which he was given guard duty over a graveyard. He told his sergeant, "Be sure not to come up behind me and startle me while I'm there, for I definitely will panic and shoot you."
Sabot
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 01:17 AM UTC
Good movie, black and white, simple but effective plot. Very little makeup done. The good guys are just normal citizens that hole up in a farm house. The rescuers arrive as a sheriff's posse with good old boys with rifles and shotguns picking off the undead like hunters killing domestic sheep.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually I wanted to base it on the original movie "Night of the Living Dead", which I haven't seen.

If you want to see it, go ahead and download it from Internet Archive here: http://www.archive.org/details/night_of_the_living_dead

That's a great place we're you can download all kinds of public domain films, animations, audio and texts.
Those old American educational films are just hilarious (in a kind of creepy way). For example, check out "Duck and cover" http://www.archive.org/details/DuckandC1951. That's a film from 1951 that teaches kids how to protect themselves from an atomic attack. "Atomic bomb may explode anywhere, anytime" Then we see how you can protect yourself by hiding under a table, covering yourself with a blanket if the atomic bomb explodes while you're having a picnic etc.
I somehow doubt those methods would work... :-)
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 08:52 PM UTC
I was thinking along the lines where zombies attack, and there is the definite danger they may infect living people and turn them into zombies, like in "Shaun of the Dead". And in the movie, you have to destroy their brains to really kill them. Also, there is no known central controller; it's apparently just some sort of infection, and they eat living people too.

SO how would you fight them?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I

"You can't fight a shadow, you can't kill a dead man."
John Fogerty
In the Romero mythos, the only way to kill a zombie is to separate the brain from the body. A shotgun works really well for this, ("he's dead. He's really ed up.") as does a chainsaw, saber, automatic weapon, etc. Stand off is best, since any bite will infect you.
Sabot
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, based on a Shaun of the Dead scenario, I guess trying to sever their heads with axes, chainsaws or something. Assuming they do not have access to military style weapons.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
I'll stick with my trusty lightsaber, thanks.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
Would the army need to wear protective suits or special armor or anything? How would an army squad sent in to fight such zombies be equipped?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC
A Sherman Crab or its modern equivilent might do the trick!!

In the original Night of the Living Dead one could be infected if bitten but the zombies moved so incredibly slow that by the end there were just a bunch of hunters and such driving around on pickup trucks using rifles and shotguns to shoot off zombie heads. Heck they would also use baseball bats to whack the zombies on the head (causing brain damage I guess) they were so slow.

Therefore if the zombies were exactly like the original George Romero classic then you would only need to make sure you have an ample supply of ammo for high powered rifles and shotguns.

Now there was a sort of sequel (don't know if it was officially sanctioned) called Return of the Living Dead where the zombies were much more agile and quick. In that movie even the miltiary roadblocks couldn't stop them as the zombies were simply too fast and the soldiers couldn't contain them fast enough. In this movie the soldiers were not dresses and differently and were armed with standard M16 and sidearm, although who knows what would have happened with a few flamethrowers and mini-guns!!! They had to use a nuke to vaporize the town.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 08:18 AM UTC
The US Army is using a modern version of the flail. I think a large drum of spinning chains might do nicely.

Also, a mini-gun and a ton of ammo could be an effective zombie eliminator.

For hoots I would like a high perch a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle and a limitless supply of 50 cal match ammo. Pop dem zombies off at a mile or better.

Last but certainly not least - nahalm. Catch a bunch of the undead in the open and ... " I love the smell napalm in the morning, it smells like... victory."
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got boxes full of old vinyl records in the basement.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 06:06 PM UTC
Cricket bat...

Shaun (really)
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC
I like Spooky6's idea that or lawn darts... :-) Seriously, Zombies are at the top of my list of things that terrify me along with Gieger's Alien. Not good...not good. Aim for the head
oldstl1000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:26 AM UTC
My brother has a survial manual based upon a Zombie uprising. Very interesting book.

If there was a Zombie out brake, just get a trusty M60 tank and just run them done.

If you want to have fun, get a gatlin gun (like the one that Jesse Ventura had in Predator) and mow them down.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 03:16 AM UTC
This is hilarious because on one of the Gun forums I go to they just posted a best weapom to fight zombies thread. The shotgun was the overwhelming favorite although it has limited rounds till reload
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC
I hope it's not TOO illegal to bring up an old thread, but I couldn't stop myself...

According to The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, a Zombie is a human being who is infected with the virus Solanum. The Virus first kills the victims and then reanimates thier corpses with the sole intent of devouring living flesh. Zombies have no more need for oxygen, water, and they do not feel pain or show any kind of thought or emotion. Because of this the virus shuts down all of the body's systems until only the brain remains operational, albeit in a limited form. Zombies literally devour until the body tissue decays into nothingness. The only way to destroy a zombie is to destroy the brain. Decapitating the head only leaves a still live and chomping head that can still spread the virus if it makes contact with uninfected human flesh. Zombies have no super strength, having only the muscle mass of the once live person.Zombies can barely hobble, showing an extreme lack of coordination. However the virus spreads so quickly that it's victims are usually caught because of being trapped in a closed space or being stuck in a mass of zombies.

Weapons

Quoted Text

...Is it as simple as just hacking off their legs with a chain saw? Do they require a gun shot to the brain or decapitation? Will flame throwers drive them off or destroy them?...

...A shotgun works really well for this, ("he's dead. He's really ed up.") as does a chainsaw, saber, automatic weapon, etc. Stand off is best, since any bite will infect you...

...I guess trying to sever their heads with axes, chainsaws or something. Assuming they do not have access to military style weapons...

A Sherman Crab or its modern equivilent might do the trick!!

...although who knows what would have happened with a few flamethrowers and mini-guns!!! They had to use a nuke to vaporize the town...

Also, a mini-gun and a ton of ammo could be an effective zombie eliminator.

For hoots I would like a high perch a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle and a limitless supply of 50 cal match ammo. Pop dem zombies off at a mile or better.

As stated, the only way to kill a zombie is to destroy the brain. Even only a head, is one is careless enough, can infect with a bite from it's immobilised jaws.
Firearms

The best firearms to use in the purpose of destroying zombies depends on the scenario and the locale. Are you running from the zombie horde? A .22 or other hunting rifle is best for you then. With a .22 there is an abundance of ammo almost everywhere and you can carry alot of it. The weapon itself is also light. A hunting rifle is a good second because of the availability of ammo, and the generally easy procurement of such a weapon. Automatic weapons are a deffinite bad choice. They can be rather uncontrollable and innacurate with panic, and when you must get a head shot to do damage, it is also wasteful of ammunition, which can be bulky and difficult to carry. A good pistol such as a .45 or a 9mm is a perfect back up weapon, especially when escaping from close quarters.

Long range rifles require long ranges to be effective. The ammo is also bulky. A mini gun, while it may seem a good idea is quite possibly the worst idea imaginable. After cutting down the zombie hordes, if you have managed to stop them by literally tearing each and everyone of them up, you must then begin to dispose of the still dangerous bodies, which still have the sole intention of finding and eating you. This is extremely dangerous as the chances of getting bitten and further spreading the virus is high. A flamethrower might be a good weapon depending on the locale. Are you in a city, where you may burn entire rooms of zombies, or are you in an open field, where zombies are spread piecemeal and the chances of expending all your fuel, if you can find any. Zombies must be completely burned to a pile of ashes before they become 100% harmless, This may lead to a loss of fuel before you can finish exterminating the threat. Procurring a flamethrower is also a problem. Where do you plan to get it? Flamethrowers are no longer in use with the military, so the few that remain are hidden in museums or in the closets of private collectors, and are often demilitarized.

Hand held weapons

A good thing to keep with you on the hunt is a close quarters hand held weapon. However, this weapon must be chosen wisely. A machete is probably the best weapon to obtain. Light, cheap, and effective, they are extremely good at destroying the brains of zombies, and are found all over. The only choice above it is a katana, but their expense and lack of availability put them out of the reach of zombie hunters. Bludgeoning tools are also useful, though they may require succeeding blows to work, and thus blades are preferrable. A chainsaw is probably the worst choice. When it comes to the chainsaw, it's bark is most deffinitely worse than its bite. It is heavy and cumbersome. Carrying it for extended periods of time is extremely hard and tiring. It's fuel is finite, and it doesn't carry much of it. Its chain is prone to breaking, and also it can hop up and kill the user instead of its target. It also produces a huge roar wich can attract zombies form miles away.

Protection

There is no suitabl protection from zombies. Suits of armor are cumbersome and heavy, making them hard to use effectively. They also have massive weak spots, and many places for zombies to pull you down. Its cumbersomeness also makes it extremely hard to fight groups. While you may have killed one, the other 5 have already torn into the weak spots and are literally ripping the flesh off of your bones. The best clothing is extremely simple. Keep your clothes tight, and make sure you do not have long hair. Also make sure there are no dangling bits that make great grab holds. Cargo pants may look cool, but theyu have plenty of things for zombies to cling to.

Quoted Text

I'll stick with my trusty lightsaber, thanks.

That would be an excellent weapon, if you could procure it. Remember, an effective zombie plan addaptable to all scenarios is the best tool of defence!

Having too much fun laughing from this incredibly long post,

Dave
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:53 AM UTC
Seems to me a good saber, or perhaps even a cutlass, would be a good choice. You don't have to reload them, and they have a long enough reach to keep you out of harms way. As to availability I've got a saber already, doesn't everybody?

Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:24 PM UTC
William Wallace's (Braveheart) sword will do me. 40 inch (102 cm) long blade and 53 inch (135 cm) in total lenght..... That will give you a good swing to it. :-)
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 05:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

William Wallace's (Braveheart) sword will do me. 40 inch (102 cm) long blade and 53 inch (135 cm) in total lenght..... That will give you a good swing to it. :-)

Again, from the Zombie Survival Guide -very funny book by the way- written as if it were a 'serious' survival guide and ending with a series of 'historical encounters', a broadsword is a fine zombie chopper. If it is 1 zombie, and you know it is coming, and you are not tired.

Now go stand in the center of a university quad, and swing your broadsword once for every person you see.

Then, after you get out of jail...-go into a pine forest and make even just 5 whole body head chops in a row

Try it in a darkened basement, from a sleeping bag, inside a car...

I like the machete and shotgun combo from the book myself.

Mike
watching the news for suspicious outbreaks...
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 06:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got boxes full of old vinyl records in the basement

Like this

Or a Jaguar

Sean