_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Private Message Error???
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 04:03 AM UTC

Anyone that could help a fella out would be appreciated. My PM icon is flashing and I have," You have 1 Private Message waiting" .. But when I click my PM icon and go to my messages, there is nothin there... The flashin icon is making me nervous now...

Dave
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 04:26 AM UTC
I think that happens when messages are deleted before they are read.

Check now.

As for Fluvian spies.... I believe you may be right. :-)

Jim
Removed by original poster on 07/02/06 - 08:09:44 (GMT).
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone that could help a fella out would be appreciated. My PM icon is flashing and I have," You have 1 Private Message waiting" .. But when I click my PM icon and go to my messages, there is nothin there... The flashin icon is making me nervous now...

Dave

I've noticed that if I first visit Armorama and have a PM notification on the homepage, if I visit the homepage again later that day, the PM icon will still be flashing. If I hit reload, it goes away.

For example, I go to the home page and see the icon flashing.
Then I read my PM, but then go straight to forums then latest posts.
I check out some topics that catch my eye and then leave the site.

If I come back later in the day, could be hours later, the homepage shows I have a message. Reload refreshes the current page and the icon goes away.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 07:21 PM UTC
Everyone,
Is everyone running IE? Did anyone download the automtic Windows update that came out this week? After the previous update (about a month ago) IE crashed everytime I recieved a notification that I had a PM. (Hence, no more Homer).
At any rate, I downloaded Firefox before Homer left and did not have a problem.
There may be something in the Windows update that is causing problems with the PMs.

Occam's Razor:

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"

Shaun

markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 07:37 PM UTC
I too am now using firefox and have had no problems with my messages. Everything just seems to run smoother overall.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi Rod

I seem to have been getting PMs through without any problems - at least no-one's e-mailed me to ask why I haven't replied to one! LOL! Do you want to fire off a test PM to me and see to see if it arrives ok? I run Firefox and Mozilla and they've both had pesky updates in the last week.

All the best

Rowan
Anonymous
entire network: 260 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:48 AM UTC
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 03:55 AM UTC
Well the flashing bit has finished... As for new PM's none here...
I think it is the work of fluvian spies under the influence of squid

Dave
Removed by original poster on 07/02/06 - 08:08:30 (GMT).
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 11:02 PM UTC
I vaguely remember when Jim added the spam prevention program. Some vendor or manufacturer started a user name here and was spamming us with advertisements of the website and product. He was probably sending out dozens of the exact same message to users.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have discovered that a new species of Spam* eating SquidBot has been intercepting our PMs! I believe I destroyed it by a lot, but be weary my brothers and sisters in porcine arms, the squid are everywhere!
Rodders
DSB Minister of SD
Viva la DSB!

*I believe this is a ham (the fiends!) based meat product that comes in cans..........

Are we now at the point, when every thread is going to be hijacked in this manner?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have discovered that a new species of Spam* eating SquidBot has been intercepting our PMs! I believe I destroyed it by a lot, but be weary my brothers and sisters in porcine arms, the squid are everywhere!
Rodders
DSB Minister of SD
Viva la DSB!

*I believe this is a ham (the fiends!) based meat product that comes in cans..........

Rodrick, I think it's time we had a father-son talk, and I'm doing it because my friend Merlin asked me to. Since you've joined the site we've done a lot of laughing together, kidding each other, and a good old time.
But the time has come for reality world to start.
Your behaviour this pass week has been exceptionally childish, unacceptable for a married adult. And the fence you are sitting on is getting narrower and narrower, and eventually you're going to fall off. when you fall, you are either going to fall on one side and be a constructive and productive member of the community, or you'll fall to the other side, and continue to show festering malcontentedness and anti-social behaviours.
I work in the place where those that continue to show festering malcontentedness, and anti-social behaviours get to live, under 24 hour watch. They are usually sent there by judges to protect the constructive productive community from their festering malcontentedness and anti-social behaviours. The majority never leave.

Would you like someone in your house behaving the way you have been?
Would you allow someone in your house to behave this way?
What example are you setting for the young people on this site with your behaviour?
Some questions for you to think about, some questions for any one in the DSB to think about.
Rodrick, I hope you fall to the constructive, productive side of the fence.

"All good things must come to an end." your own leader Swine1 said that, are you going to make him a liar?

_GOTOTOP