_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Iwata CR revolution or HP-BS eclipse?
kirk1313
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:00 AM UTC
I do not know which airbrush to buy. I can get the Iwata CR for $60.00 but I was told to get the Iwata HP-BS which costs $129.00. I do not know if the HP-BS is worth it or not.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC
I think you'll get different responses to your question - because we can't define what's worth it to you when it comes to modeling tools.

Based on my experience and skill level, I feel either airbrush would be a good choice. I don't know how experienced you are in using them, however.

I have the HP-BCS and really like it. I'm left-handed, and find using it as easy as writing with an ink pen...

Jim
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi Chris, I would recommend either Iwata you could check their web site for differences, more on that later. But you could save yourself a little money and free shipping. I got my Airbrush at DixieArt
Check them out they have some great prices and here is the link to Iwata
Hope this helps you on your search. Cheers Kevin
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Chris, I would recommend either Iwata you could check their web site for differences, more on that later. But you could save yourself a little money and free shipping. I got my Airbrush at DixieArt

I agree wit Kevin and if you e-mail or call the folks at Dixie art I'm sure they can can give you some good advice. I've found them to be very hepful.
Good Luck with your choice.
Ross
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
I have recently purchased the Eclipse HP BS and think it is a superb airbrush. Better in every way to my old Badgers (150 &100G). It is an excellent all-rounder, doing broad spray and fine lines well (I think if you want ultra fine lines, then the more expensive Iwatas deliver better results.). It doesn't clog with acrylic any where near as much as the Badgers and the cheapest price in the UK was more than you've shown. If you buy it I doubt whether you would be disapointed. I've never used a Revolution, but I decided against one even though I'm on a budget.

It also has a very nice sturdy feel to it and does feel a quality item.

If you can afford it go for it. The Eclipse is a very good brush even though the price is quite high.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
I myself have the Revolution. I would highly recommend it for the price. I was able to immediately start painting very fine lines during my practice sessions with it . It is also good for overall coverage. My painting really improved as soon as I got a real compressor with the regulator, moisture trap etc.
armorguy
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 269 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:58 PM UTC
kirk1313,

I have the Revolution CR. I've had it now for about 1.5 years and have been very happy with it. It hasn't failed me yet...the only thing that's failed me is my ability to mix paint...most of the time, good...occassionally bad.

At any rate, a couple of things to consider:

The Revolution CR has a significantly larger color cup. I prefer this for a couple of reasons. I can hold more paint in it (for doing overall painting) and it's not as likely to slosh out on me if I ever hold the brush at odd angles.

The HP-BS is able to spray finer patterns I believe (no personal experience though). However, it's not as if I can't spray fine lines with the Revolution. I am able to spray 1/16 inch lines or so, but it may be a bit easier with the HP-BS. So, if you want to paint camo on 1/72 models, you may be better off with the HP-BS.

Also, just to give you an idea of my setup, I have a Craftsman 3 gallon compressor and it has served me well too. It gets up to 125 PSI, but I only spray in the 10-20 PSI range, but heck, I can use it for things other than modeling too.

Which ever you choose, Iwata makes fantastic quality airbrushes and you won't be disappointed. My wife ordered mine from DixieArt also and found their service to be quite good.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 01:06 AM UTC
I have the Iwata HP-BS brush and I love it. It allows me to do pretty much anything I want.

You will not be disappointed with it.

_GOTOTOP