Hosted by Matt Leese
aztek nozzles
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:31 PM UTC
Does anyone else disassemble their nozzle to clean it? They say you aren't supposed to. I did that the first time and then spent 4 hours trying to get dried acrilic paint off of it. So now i just strip and soak the nozzle and haven't had a problem yet.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:52 PM UTC
I've been disassembling my Aztek (Model Master) tips since way back when. I wipe most of whats left in/on the nozzel (and the other parts) off and then put all the parts into an old tall Riccota Cheese container half filled with the hottest tap water I can get and lemon scented dishwashing soap. Swish the parts around abit, fish them out and clean with pipe cleaners and Q-Tip equivalents. There is still some ensuring to do, but this has worked well for me.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:42 PM UTC
I too always clean them after each-n-every use! With the Aztec nozzles you really have to clean them good. Be sure to pull out the needles and clean them too.
I love ignoring those warnings...
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 04:11 PM UTC
Yeah thats what i figured
moville
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 11:05 PM UTC
If my nozzle gets too gunked up, I just say screw it and head to Michael's with one of their 50% off coupons and get a new nozzle for ~ $5.

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 12:08 PM UTC
I didn't realize you could open them for a long time. Now I always open up to clean after use. It works so much better if it 's absolutely clean.
After opening I let soak for a few minutes in an empty Tamya paint jar that contains tri-chlore-etylene. Works miracles to dissolve paint (and most of your lungs if you breathe it in).

Just one word of warning if you never took a nozzle apart : there's a SPRING inside. Once I did this wrong, and the needle and spring jumped over my shoulder and went missing for 3 days. It was Junior who found it in the end.

mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 01:05 PM UTC
I took Aztek's admonition to never do this to heart...until nothing would come out of the nozzle. I figured out how to get the needle out and cleaned up that and the nozzle, and have never looked back. It is very easy to do, and makes a world of difference. No need to buy new nozzles when just a little elbow grease does the trick. If later, the performance deteriorates, then yes. But really, it is simple to do, and one of the reasons the Aztek is a good brush to use.

Mike

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
one thing i noticed is aztek has good costomer relations, by removeing the needle and spring i voided the warranty on the nozzles. according to aztek they will replace any nozzle free of charge if it doesn't work properly...but since i live in japan such a nice company does me no good. ps any one seen the new aztek airbrush yet.... i need to order one to replace my aging 470..stug
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 03:07 PM UTC
They give anew one to you free?? How can they tell its been opened ?
 _GOTOTOP