_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Lighting
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 12:41 PM UTC
I came across this lighting today that was better than any I'd seen before:

http://www.ott-lite.com/

And was wondering what everybody else was using.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 12:46 PM UTC
BC - I've been using OTT-Lites for a couple of years, now. Love 'em. I use them for painting primarily, mixing colors, and end assemblies when I'm bringing painted parts together. The regular incandescent lights really cast a notable yellow hue after working under the OTT-Lites. The regular lights are great for basic model assembly. I've been planning to go all OTT in the future.

Gunnie
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 12:51 PM UTC
I'm planning to get some myself.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:50 PM UTC
BC
That looks interesting. Thanks for the link. It sounds like these lights would be excellent for photographing models. I can't do mine outside during the winter and have had little luck with other lighting setups. This may be the answer.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I came across this lighting today that was better than any I'd seen before:

http://www.ott-lite.com/

And was wondering what everybody else was using.

What I love to use best is a light I get for free, called the SUN. I just love to sit out on my deck at the picnic table and do my modeling. Most times the wind cooperates Sometimes not But the lighting itself is obviously natural. The Ott Lite simulates the natural light spectrum. Great light, just a little pricey. An alternative that is cheaper and does the same thing is the lighting sold for aquariums that house reptiles. That's right, go to a pet store that sells them and pick up one of their set ups for a few less pesos.
I happened to get mine for free because one of my workers sons had 'grown out' of his pet hobby and was not taking care of them (he turned 16 and I think girls were his new hobby).
So, you might want to try that route, unless you need the logo 'Ott-Lite' on the side.

Tread.

Oh, just remembered. If you really want the Ott Lite, they are also used pretty heavily by seamstresses, people who use sewing machines. These craft and fabric stores often have wonderful sales going where you could pick one up for a great discount. In fact a store
we have here called 'Michael's' has been having a 40% off coupon printed in the newspaper that can be applied to one item only. Might be a good application of the coupon to get yourself an Ott Lite
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
My mom is recently retired from the fabric business, where Ott lights are all the rage. She gave me an Ott light floor lanp for Christmas year before last. At first I was skeptical, but the more I used it, the more I like it -- I even bought one of their portable units.

-Neil
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 12:23 AM UTC
Good show, Neil!

m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I love to use best is a light I get for [b]free, called the SUN.

The sun seems like a rare commodity here in the northwest
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 01:08 AM UTC
I agree with TreadHead, sunlight is the best when you can get it -- it's what I use for modeling in the morning. However, in the southeast we tend to get too much sunlight for five months out of the year! I call the period from May to September "Southern Winter," because that's when people try to make life a dash from one climate-controlled enviroment to another. I do everything I can to exclude sunlight from the house to keep the cooling bill down. It's 82 degrees fahrenheit inside the house right now in the room furthest from the sun. The Ott light is kind of like the "light" version of an air-conditioner

-Neil

p.s. Makes me long for Hawaii. I lived there for two years in a house with no heat, no air-conditioning, and shuttered windows that didn't even close all the way. I don't remember being uncomfortable even a single day.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 06:04 AM UTC
I picked one up yesterday and it's the difference between night and day. Day meaning sun like light.
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:03 AM UTC
What sites carry these lights?
I went to the maufacturers site, but couldn't find either an e-store attached or links to suppliers for their lights.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:06 AM UTC
Try here:
http://www.officedepot.com/shop/catalog/default.asp?BC=2&ID=813&LEVEL=CT&SID=NXSSUBJGB7K79J987P0J9KFAW2NGBRJ4&PP=1

Office Depot
That's where I got mine.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC

Ditto - I got mine from Office Depot too...

Gunnie
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Office Depot
That's where I got mine
Ditto - I got mine from Office Depot too...

Gunnie

They seem to have cheaper prices on them than anywhere else I've seen.
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:23 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
I'm going to take a look at them this weekend.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 08:14 AM UTC
My mom's been using one of those for cross-stiching for a while. She says it works real well. They have a little desktop model at the Office Depot by me for about $20.
Office Depot, you like Office Depot.... Office Depot has every thing you need for your home or office. You love to shop at Office Depot. In fact you should go there now!
AAAH!!! Sorry, my brother worked at 'that office supply store' for a while... I think part of the training was to brainwash family members to think that 'it' was the best place ever to shop...

YodaMan
'My mind is not my own.'
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 09:21 AM UTC
Looks like I will need to make a trip there and pick one up. I build close to the kitchen and we have good light in there, but I think I will have to pick one of these lights up to help. I have always admired them when I have gone into office stores. Now I just have to make my wife see that value in it.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 09:34 AM UTC
I've heard quite a bit about the Ott-lites. All good. Like with many things over here...one of these days.
I'm with Tread though, nothing beats the lighting from the real thing...the sun. I'm one of those lucky ones to have my workdesk situated between slideing glass doors and another good sized window. Futher more, nothing beats the sun from S. Florida. Man does it get bright. On windless days, painting outdoors is great...year round too. :-)
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC
Does anyone know if these things are sold in Europe? Or perhaps a similar product? I would really like one but since you guys operate on 110V and we have 220V, that would be a problem....
 _GOTOTOP