_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kiwi Korner
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Dunedin model shops
PaulC
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hi all.
ive recently moved to Dunedin from the UK. and now that ive finally settled down i have time to take up my hobbie again.
i was wondering if anyone out there is from dunedin and can give me some advice about the best shops or groups.
im finding it a bit expensive over here as far as kits go! how do you guys afford it.
im working on a hummvee and bradley. it would be fun to talk to anyone else about tips or their projects
take care all
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 09:26 AM UTC
hey

welcome to New Zealand.i am not from dunedin myself but there is a hobby shop in christchurch called acorn models and they have a website where you can buy models off.http://acornmodels.co.nz
and also ace hobby in aukland and they also ship models [ [url=http://acehobby.co.nz[/url]

cheers
matt
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 07:07 PM UTC
Hi Paul

Welcome to New Zealand.

The cost of our hobby is always a thorny topic.

I think there is a regional IPMS branch in Dunedin and they are on the internet via a website it would pay to make contact.

Being the other end of New Zealand I am sorry I can't help about a good LHS in Dunedin.

Sean
PaulC
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 02:58 AM UTC
Thank you very much you guys, i will be sure to check those links and shops out. im guessing there isnt much a modelling crowd in dunedin as i didnt get any replies from people there.

thanks again

paul
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Welcome to middle earth!

Yes you spotted the first thing about NZ kits....they are expensive and i wouldnt even try to convert them back to pounds cause its even more depressing.

If you cant find a model shop in Dunedin thats adequate enough, try online at www.acornmodels.co.nz.

If you are ever up in Auckland however, check out these 2 that i wrote some reviews on recently.
Auckland LHS Reviews

Im trying to get my butt in gear to write a review on another big one here (Hobby City) so look out for that.
markvs
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:54 PM UTC
Hello, and welcome to home.
I have a mate in milton who is a modeller, and, so far, his opinion of local shops is buy mail order, or try trade me.
He has, on occaision had success with his local bookshop, buying a dragon wagon and trailer for $50 nz
So, try your local bookshop/toyshop and you never know you might just strike it lucky.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 09:25 PM UTC
Hi Paul

I suspect that there is a strong modelling community in Dunedin and Central Otago however I do not know how many frequent this site.

I quess we need to remember ust because they have not discovered this great site does not mean they are not out there.

Here is IPMS Dunedin
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Cockpit/4364/

Here is the IPMS Page and you will see details of the Central Otago group under branches.

http://ipmsnz.hobbyvista.com/

You may of course have already discovered these sites.

I think two or so years ago the IMPS Nationals were held in Dunedin which would indicate to me a strong modelling community but perhaps one not very well represented at this site.

Regards

Sean
PaulC
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC
Thanks everybody, those links are really good.
i have found a shop in Dunedin that seems to be the best around, they have a great range of kits, but mail order looks like the way forward. i will have to ask the missus nicely if i can use her credit card, as i havent got one (and not really in a rush to get one!)

do you ever have to problem of paints drying gloss when its a matt paint? i was weathering the underside of my humvee and the paint dried all glossy and nasty, how annoying! i will have to tape my pots to the top of the washer in future to get the buggers really shaken up!

thanks again all
:-)
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 06:10 PM UTC
Hi Paul

Thanks I hoped the links might be useful.

Lets us all know the name of the shop in Dunedin. It may be useful for someone to know in the future.

Sorry to hear about the paint issue. What sort of paint are we talking about? Enamel or Acrylic? Which Brand?

I personally don't usually have this problem whilst I dont tape them to the washer I have an excellent double ended tool from Tamiya called a "Paint Mixer" which I use all the time.

I stir and mix my paint for ages (whilst listening to music) and use the tool to extract the paint from the middle/bottom of the jar each time.

Regards

Sean
PaulC
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
hi sean
thanks for the paint tip. it was humbrol enamel that i was using, i think i was just being to hastey, i sat and stirred the bugger last night and it seems better. its been so long since i last did some models that i seem to forget these things.

the shop is called
Toyworld, The Golden Centre 251 George St Dunedin.

it does tonnes of Games Workshop figures and the like too.

cheers
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi Paul

Yes Humbrol Enamel is difficult with mixing.

I suspected that was the paint you were using.

Mix the bugger up will solve the problem.

Thanks for the info on the shop.

Regards

Sean
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
entire network: 265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:19 PM UTC
Paul
As usual I am late to respond to postings.
Welcome to Dunedin the home of the Highlanders and IPMS New Zealand.
Check out http://www.geocities.com/roaring40sdunedin/index.html
or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ipmsnz/
There is another model shop called Hobbycraft - take a walk down St Andrews Street East of the main drag from George St. It is not quite a block down. You will be going into a craft shop. Not much of a selection. Better than nothing.
Cheers
Rod
PaulC
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
thanks rod.
i have been into that hobby shop and i wasnt very impressed to be honest. its a bit more expensive than the other place in the golden centre, but its still worth going into now and then, just in case.
where do you shop? online? ive never shopped online before, acorn models looks pretty good, im going to be using it soon
Paul
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
entire network: 265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:11 AM UTC
Paul
I buy from these guys in Birkenhead in Auckland. Great sevice etc. etc.
Ace Hobby

http://www.acehobby.co.nz/ossb2/root/main/

Check out this site for a review of the shop.

Rod
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul
I buy from these guys in Birkenhead in Auckland. Great sevice etc. etc.
Ace Hobby

Yup of all the Auckland shops there are, when buying kits, 9 times out of 10, i would make the trip across the bridge just to buy from them. Their site is somewhat user friendly as well.

I've been meaning to write up a review of Hobby City in Auckland some time soon. Will let you guys know once ive done it.
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 07:39 PM UTC
Gidday Paul
I've just joined Armorama very recently, so a belated welcome to Dunedin!

Modelshops in Dunedin are disappointing - right now the Toy Warehouse in the Golden Centre Mall are holding a sale (20% off marked prices) and they do have a fairly limited range of models. They also stock a limited range of Citadel and Vallejo acrylics. Apart from that, as you've mentioned, Hobbycraft are expensive and many of the kitsets have been in stock for a few years.

Modelcrafts & Hobbies of Wellington are a place I use regularly - great service and the guys (Mike Regan and co.) know their modelling;

http://www.modelcraftsandhobbies.co.nz/

Also you're most welcome to come along to IPMS Dunedin (1986) Inc -have a gander at our site;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ipms_dunedin

We meet on the LAST THURSDAY of each month; 7:30 pm at the Victoria Road Community Centre
which is directly opposite the Stadium Store, Victoria Road St Kilda. Be ready to talk about models all evening! Next meeting Thursday July 27.

Coming up, we are running the 2006 South Island Championships, over the weekend September 8 to 10. The place will be packed with modellers from all over the South Island . The accompanying display will be run for a week..

http://www.geocities.com/redkiwi.geo/Noticeboard.htm

_GOTOTOP