Saint Paddy's Day
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 06:30 AM UTC
Howdy All!

Just got back from a five mile forced march, and I must tell you all that the icy wind was a wee bit chilly blowin' up my kilt. That's right jokers, I admit it, I wear a dress.

No, really. I'm a piper in the ElJebel pipe band. I'm also a 32nd Degree Mason, and am proud to play the bagpipes every year on St. Patrick's Day weekend...all weekend long.
Just got back to the house for a short rest and relaxation before I have to go out again and play at several Irish pubs the rest of the night. I'm bloody winded, I'll tell ya.
Good thing about playing the pipes on St. Paddy's Day weekend is that I never have to buy myself a single pint of beer! There's always someone wanting to 'buy ya pint'. :-) :-)

Anyway, just wanted to take the opportunity to wish all of you a very Happy & Safe St. Paddy's Day!!!

Tread.

P.S........may the wind always be at your back.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
Happy Saint Pat's Day Tread - I've donned green all weekend!

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 07:05 AM UTC
That's a good Lad!

Tread.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
Happy Patty's Day, Tread. One of my ancestors came over from Scotland in the 1700's. I'm still trying to find more info on him. Well,maybe one day. My eyes are green, does that count so I won't get pinched? :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 08:10 AM UTC
LOL...Penny. Darn, and I was hoping to pinch you anyway :-) Well gents, and ladies. I've gotta get 'on my bike' and run. They need me to blow on the chanter some more I guess.
But I thought I'd leave you all with a thought. Imagine a tired old bugger like me, with his chicken legs, pleated kilt, red blowing face with puffed up cheeks, and NO coat (can't hide the uniform) out runnning around the streets of Denver tonight. All while doing my best to keep the brewmiester happy!

Tread.

Ya know, funny thing about this is I'm british born of scottish father. But what the hell...
Erin go Braugh!
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 08:23 AM UTC
Have a few Guiness, that'll keep ya warm.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC
Just got back a little while ago from a church function (family & fellow firefighters only eulogy) where I had to play "Amazing Grace' for the congregation. I gotta tell you. I've played that particular tune probably a dozen times this weekend (I never get tired of it, even though it's hard to play) but this time was something. As you play this bit on the pipes you are standing there alone, by yourself, no other pipers or drummers next to you for support like you usually have.
All that you have to do standing there is look out onto the assembled crowd. And slowly but surely, as you look out on the faces of the people, one by one, they start to cry. Women, men, young, old. It doesn't matter.
I must say it is a unique feeling having that direct an affect on so many diverse people.
Unique.

Tread.

Sorry, just needed to say it to somebody. My apologies for using this forum to do it.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 06:55 AM UTC
BTW Penny,
That's where I'm very American. Can't stand warm (room temperature) beer. Never liked it. As far as Guiness....a Black and Tan's as close as I go!

Tread.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 07:15 AM UTC
Happy St. Patrick's Day to yer Tread. You really get out there and play the ole pipes do ya!?
That is really cool in my book...even if I'm not a bit of Irish.
My neice's Birthday is today, and being that her mother's maden name is McFadden, I'd say she's a wee bit Irish, complete with green eyes.

PS: I sure hope you're wearing something under that there kilt!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC
LOL....First, a very Happy Birthday to your niece. What's her name and how old is she?
Second, yes I do tickle the chanter a wee bit. Hard instrument to play believe me. Takes a lot of wind!
Third, glad to hear your wife's a bit Irish. That means she's fiery and passionate. My advice to ya mate....never wrong her!
Lastly, I wear the traditional thing under me kilt!

Tread.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy All!

Just got back from a five mile forced march, and I must tell you all that the icy wind was a wee bit chilly blowin' up my kilt. That's right jokers, I admit it, I wear a dress.

No, really. I'm a piper in the ElJebel pipe band. I'm also a 32nd Degree Mason, and am proud to play the bagpipes every year on St. Patrick's Day weekend...all weekend long.
Just got back to the house for a short rest and relaxation before I have to go out again and play at several Irish pubs the rest of the night. I'm bloody winded, I'll tell ya.
Good thing about playing the pipes on St. Paddy's Day weekend is that I never have to buy myself a single pint of beer! There's always someone wanting to 'buy ya pint'. :-) :-)

Anyway, just wanted to take the opportunity to wish all of you a very Happy & Safe St. Paddy's Day!!!

Tread.

P.S........may the wind always be at your back.

Happy Belated Saint Patrick Day Tread!

I'm not Irish, but I did go to an Irish Catholic school, I was the token Italian. Glad to see you made it back alive yesterday.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, OH

PS: may the wind at your back never be your own.
 _GOTOTOP